Long time Saaber, Just picked up a 9-5 Aero Wagon, MT - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2014, 11:33 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
Long time Saaber, Just picked up a 9-5 Aero Wagon, MT

Yep... I just picked up a 2002 9-5 Aero, Wagon, manual trans. $2600. "It's got it where it counts" is the general feel of this car...

It's a steel grey, MT, Aero wagon. Runs good, drives good. When I got it, it was a bit... fishy. Power delivery was slow, and it picked up with a bit of lethargy. Old direct ignition, probably the original air flow meter, and 8 year old spark plugs were not helping matters. A date code 2011 genuine saab direct ignition, a known good mass air flow sensor, and new spark plugs pepped it right up. Runs 100% and the thing really cooks now... 80-120 happens fast! as it should be. When I got it, it had reasonably clean oil, the PCV update, and a lot of other nit picky things in 100% condition. SID is recent, every single dash and cluster light works, and the interior is in nice shape... It really runs good, shifts good. I know it needs sway bar end links, and probably sub frame bushings, possibly motor mounts too. but... these are not huge things for me to get it back to "new feeling"

Cosmetically, it's in "fair" shape. Steel grey, original paint, original Aero 17" wheels, however the front bumper cover is a bit of a disaster. Lip is gone, and there are a bunch of dents & dings. Some can be PDR'd however there is one that will need paintwork to fix. I may or may not depending on price. It does have almost 180K...

So... Anyway, I guess I am asking. The thing HAS a bumper cover. But. It's trashed, and has no lip. I'd like to get an 04-50 Aero bumper to replace it with. How hard is this and price??? I would need the fogs too I would guess.

Last edited by DeLorean; 03-27-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2014, 04:07 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
I think your only hope now for the 04-05 aero bumper is to find one off a salvage car. Last I heard they were NLA new. With fogs and grill inserts and things I think the parts work out to be around $800 give or take. Haven't done it myself though. I know Bergie just did it last year on his wagon.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

AWESOME PICKUP. probably Saab's best car. I am a sedan guy now for various other reasons.
The bumper cover swap is very easy. You will need to pull the headlights and buckets off and everything is right there to see. The swap probably took me an hour and half.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Nice to hear from you DeLorean! Excellent pick up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
Nice to hear from you DeLorean! Excellent pick up.
Yup. Pics?

1997 900SE Talladega (SQR stage 4)
2006 9-3SS Aero
Old 03-28-2014, 09:05 PM   #6
Elder

Pics will come soon... I did the valve cover gasket today along with the distributor hole plug to correct the oil leak. Blasted the whole engine off with the pressure washer, ran it around, and it seems like the V/C and distributor plug were the only leaks. Under the valve cover was spotless, which is a nice plus, clearly the previous owner was a fan of regular oil changes.

I got sway bar end links coming, and a bunch of other 180K 9-5 parts coming which should correct a few of the "high mileage issues"
Old 03-29-2014, 12:03 PM   #7

i feel like everyone is looking for a 9-5 Aero wagon with a M/T , guess I need to get on that hunt asap...
85 900T sedan,
91 900T Cabrio
95 9000 Aero,
89 900T vert,
85 SPG
Old 03-29-2014, 12:57 PM   #8
Elder

Seemingly they are few and far between. a search on auto trader or cars.com, you might fine 2 or 3 in 500 mile range with those specifications.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
Seemingly they are few and far between. a search on auto trader or cars.com, you might fine 2 or 3 in 500 mile range with those specifications.
I was willing to drive about 5-6 hours each way since as you said, 9-5 5mt wagons are rare. I wanted an 06+ which is even more rare. There was a nice $2500 01 Aero in Boston on CL with RK2s that had me ready to drive for before the 06 came along.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:53 AM   #10

makes perfect sense now sorry I've been away guys, wife is 'very sick' etc, I know people are waiting for me to answer their PM'S. Delo and Tweek just happened to drop off the latest box for this, kinda wonderd why the extra effort, makes perfect sense now, with the effort he's putting into the gearbox why not 19t ets ic etc. Make it Rock!
Old 03-30-2014, 10:20 AM   #11
Elder

Yeah, I might just go for a larger turbo. Once it has the LSD, I may as well!

Harvey, I hope all goes well for your wife and that she feels better soon.

Last edited by DeLorean; 03-30-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #12
Elder

A few pics -

Not perfect by any means, but... Cheap, stick, aero wagon... so how could I not?

Last edited by DeLorean; 04-07-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #13
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Looks good to me, and no Xenon lamps to worry about.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:46 PM   #14
Elder

Cosmetics are not great, Front bumper (02-03 type, blaa) is missing the front lip, and held together by about 10 zip ties at the lower end. It also has a dent in the right rear 1/4 pannel, which I think is probably just beyond the point of being able to be PDR'd, but at the same time has no paint damage.... so probably not worth fixing. I also noticed the typical heater by pass valve leak, so that's "on the list" now.

I do kind of wish it had xenons, or the rain sensing wipers... but that option was not checked.

Otherwise... the thing just works good.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #15

reminds me a lot of my old wagon when i 1st picked her up. Same deal but had the visibility pack.

The xenons are outdated and can be a nightmare to fix and diagnose. Also the rain sensing wipers have a mind of there own most of the time and become annoying.

So you should be hyped not to have them. It seems most aero's came with this package than without.

Last edited by bergie; 04-08-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:35 AM   #16
Elder

so, anyone do engine sub frame, rear bushings on one of these? Mine needs em.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:39 AM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
so, anyone do engine sub frame, rear bushings on one of these? Mine needs em.
Harvey and I did. Not the end of the world, especially with your lift.

I need to do my rears too. Bushing party?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in