how are the 9-5 aero's? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

how are the 9-5 aero's?

Im already sick of having a car payment thinking of ditching the fiat its cute and all but im missing my 9000 aero which I still have but im trying to keep anymore wear until I have time and space to properly repair it which might be a few years so im thinking of another DD that matches it in performance, cost of maintenance, space , safety. So im looking at a 99-05 5spd Aero wagon...I've been abit weary of GM saabs i've always had C900s and the 9000 which are inexpensive and easy to maintain , repair etc. But the 9-5 still has some of the qualities and cabin layout of the 9000 which I like. What are these things like to own and work on? Anyone have a 9000 aero and a 9-5 aero what are they like to live with?
85 900T sedan,
91 900T Cabrio
95 9000 Aero,
89 900T vert,
85 SPG
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

You wont find more car for the money when it comes to 9-5s. I will buy 9-5s until there are none left.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-22-2014, 03:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
You wont find more car for the money when it comes to 9-5s. I will buy 9-5s until there are none left.
I don't have one anymore and miss it as a DD.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:32 AM   #4
SAAB Road Master

I have both. Check the links below for specifics on upgrades I have done so you know where I'm coming from.

The 9000 Aero is a blast to drive. 1st gear isn't torque limited like it is in the 9-5 Aero, so it just gets up and goes FAST. The 9-5 is heavier, and it feels it. The steering input on the 9-5 is superior, the clutch is tighter, and the braking is more sure. All those things could be attributed to the engineering, or it could just be that the 9-5 is a few years younger. The 9000 is pure SAAB in and out, and it is difficult not to love the body style of the 9K Aero IMO. My 9-5, while I love what I've done - doesn't have as much personality aesthetically. My girlfriend loves the Recaro seats in the 9000, much more so than even the Aero sport seats in my 9-5. The suspension setups I have are almost identical, with the exception of the SAS rear sway on the 9-5. This makes a big difference and as a result I can really push the 9-5 in the corners more than the 9000, despite the heavier weight. My next purchase for the 9000 will be the SAS sways, because I've heard the improvement is as dramatic.

All in all, I love both. The 9000 gets me around as a daily driver and does a grand job embarrassing those who toy with me at a stoplight. The 9-5 is what I drive when I put a jacket on and go to a nice dinner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 03-24-2014, 07:45 AM   #5
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

1st and 2nd gears in the 9000 Aero are boost limited, it may not be exactly the same as limiting torque but the basic effect is the same. Either way, my 9-5 is tuned to be delimited. I wouldn't consider the 9000 being "pure Saab" simply because it shares the same key location as a 9-2x.

Stock for stock the 9-5 Aero will out handle a 9000 Aero. The rear suspension is not a solid axle on the 9-5 and they came stock with 17" wheels/tires. Also, the weight difference between both cars with a manual is only 170lbs. Basically the 9-5 is a larger car to incorporate more safety features but still have a large feeling interior.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:14 AM   #6
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
1st and 2nd gears in the 9000 Aero are boost limited, it may not be exactly the same as limiting torque but the basic effect is the same.
My 9000 tune has no limit on boost. First and second gear are BEASTY and I have trouble keeping the power to the road. I contrast, the tune on my 9-5...

Quote:
Either way, my 9-5 is tuned to be delimited.
...feels like a slug in 1st gear, same as before. It's like, just get thru this gear so you can hit second and take off really. Once in second it screams but 1st is meh.

Quote:
I wouldn't consider the 9000 being "pure Saab" simply because it shares the same key location as a 9-2x.
You've got me there, sadly. It's the ONE thing I HATE about the 9000.

Quote:
Stock for stock the 9-5 Aero will out handle a 9000 Aero. The rear suspension is not a solid axle on the 9-5 and they came stock with 17" wheels/tires. Also, the weight difference between both cars with a manual is only 170lbs. Basically the 9-5 is a larger car to incorporate more safety features but still have a large feeling interior.
It's weird, the 9K can't take the corners at near the speed of the 9-5 (both are lowered on Konis; strut tower brace on the 9K, 25mm rear sway on the 9-5) but the 9K feels so much lighter scooting around. Maybe it's just butt feel, but when I need to run a bunch of errands fast I choose the 9K.

|
Old 03-24-2014, 08:58 AM   #7
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroJ View Post
My 9000 tune has no limit on boost. First and second gear are BEASTY and I have trouble keeping the power to the road. I contrast, the tune on my 9-5...
...feels like a slug in 1st gear, same as before. It's like, just get thru this gear so you can hit second and take off really. Once in second it screams but 1st is meh.
But stock form in both cars is a limited power level in first and second, that was my point. My 9-5 with no limit in 1st just spins immediately, but can be controlled easily. Also it should be mentioned that the TCS/ESP in the 9-5s is actually pretty damn good and doesn't break often like the 9ks.

Quote:
You've got me there, sadly. It's the ONE thing I HATE about the 9000.
Both cars were built with the same idea: use a chassis from a provided GM car and make a Saab luxury sport sedan. I think its funny that the 9-7x even has the key in the middle!

Quote:
It's weird, the 9K can't take the corners at near the speed of the 9-5 (both are lowered on Konis; strut tower brace on the 9K, 25mm rear sway on the 9-5) but the 9K feels so much lighter scooting around. Maybe it's just butt feel, but when I need to run a bunch of errands fast I choose the 9K.
Some of that could be attributed to the heavier 18" wheels you have on your 9-5 as well. Also, maybe the steering ratio is quicker in the 9000?

Quote:
Old 03-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #8

I have both...pretty much agree with everything the homie saabeh say's. They didn't make aero's in 99 however. So look from 2000-2005. 2002 and 2003 were the best years. They had the most options and didn't cut costs on anything, so they are a little better built. You would never know it if you hadn't owned one previously to a later car however.

The 9000 isn't as refined and quite a bit more raw and fun to drive. It also has that "cool" factor.. As a daily driver though, I don't know of any car I can compare to a SAAB 9-5 aero wagon.

As far as working on them there is not much difference at all...just watch out for car's with engine sludge and related issues. Maintenence history is what your looking for with these cars, they don't make it to 250k as easily as the 9000.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
I agree with the above posts as well. The 9-5 Aero's are simply awesome cars.

However, I will wish you good luck in your search for a 5spd Aero wagon They are few and far between.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:33 AM   #10
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cark View Post
I agree with the above posts as well. The 9-5 Aero's are simply awesome cars.

However, I will wish you good luck in your search for a 5spd Aero wagon They are few and far between.
I'll sell him mine for the low price of $5,000

Quote:
Old 03-26-2014, 07:34 AM   #11

I will have my eyes out for a nice one either that or a 9-3 Viggen, 9-3 SS vert... I've sen a few out there and having bought a notchback, 85SPG , 91SE vert and a Beryl Green vert which are really low volume im not too worried about finding one . That is the great thing about saabs even the low volume ones they seemingly are always around and at a good price
85 900T sedan,
91 900T Cabrio
95 9000 Aero,
89 900T vert,
85 SPG
Old 03-26-2014, 08:12 AM   #12

Do yourself a favor and don't get a Viggen as a daily driver. 9-5's are so much better.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:34 AM   #13
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
Do yourself a favor and don't get a Viggen as a daily driver. 9-5's are so much better.
+1

Bergie and I are both previous Viggen owners (the same car!)

Quote:
Old 03-26-2014, 10:10 AM   #14

i was never a huge fan of the first gen 9-3, the SS 9-3 though post 07 look pretty good..
85 900T sedan,
91 900T Cabrio
95 9000 Aero,
89 900T vert,
85 SPG
Old 03-26-2014, 10:35 AM   #15
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
I've never even driven a Viggen, but I'm curious as to why you would say that....

|
Old 03-26-2014, 11:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86notchback View Post
the SS 9-3 though post 07 look pretty good..
Been a longtime Werther Sucking Bastard! BUT that car has softened my dislike for the GM product... If I look at them long enough I might just pull the trigger
Old 03-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #17

Quote:
I've never even driven a Viggen, but I'm curious as to why you would say that....
Because they pull off the neat trick of having a better ride and being more comfortable while handling better.

Stock for stock, the 9-5 Aero is a much better car.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:50 AM   #18
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
Because they pull off the neat trick of having a better ride and being more comfortable while handling better.

Stock for stock, the 9-5 Aero is a much better car.
Wow. I really want to drive a Viggen now to compare with my lowered 9-5 Aero

|

Last edited by AeroJ; 03-26-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:28 PM   #19
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Wow. I really want to drive a Viggen now to compare with my lowered 9-5 Aero
My Viggen had ~$1,700 of suspension and steering upgrades and yet it handled and rode worse than my mom's 150k mile 2002 Camry SE V6.

Quote:
Old 03-27-2014, 04:59 AM   #20
Elder

2002-2003 9-5 Aeros are the best. Even in automagic form (the 5 speed auto they have is pretty beefy and works very well).

like mentioned before they didnt cut any costs on those and its obvious. from the grain of the leather to the quality of the plastics everything says Saab. 2004-up you can tell a definete difference in the plastic quality etc. on the later models they even swapped the saab stereo and dash for GM Bin parts gone are the SIDs and hello same radio and climate control as a chevy malibu.

I had a 2002 aero for a a bit (until my parents wanted it back and they sold me their 2008 9-3) and i wish i hadnt traded back. Even with 160k on it it still felt like an awesome planted powerful ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in