B308 engine head cleaning questions - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
SAABeginner

B308 engine head cleaning questions

GM 54-Degree V6 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article says my engine head is aluminum. Is it safe to clean with baking soda? Also, how do I take the valves out? I want to make this clean as possible using household items I do not have a high pressure hose
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
SAABeginner

Here is a pic of engine head
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (407.7 KB, 10 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-17-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
SAABeginner

If anyone tells me a good tip that is sure fire, I will make a instructional YouTube video for the forums with before and after

Old 01-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #4
Elder

There should be lots of how-to videos and articles about how to get the keepers out of the upper spring seat to get the valves out. I made this album a looooong time ago when I had to replace valves in my 900 and made this compressor from stuff laying around the house, sounds like you're into that sort of thing.

https://www.facebook.com/drewpprice/...2413466&type=3

As for cleaning, you can use pretty much anything - why baking soda? It's not a degreaser or anything. Acetone, brake cleaner, Simple Green, Greased Lighening, dish washing detergent (Dawn is actually a really really good degreaser, you don't need a bunch.)

Don't use anything abrasive on the mating surface that bolts to the block that might scratch it, like a wire brush or steel wool, but scotchbrite pads work well.

You should be able to submerge that in a 5-gallon bucket with degreaser and let it soak and start to break down the junk that's all over it, then scrub it up.

(I'm assuming you just want to do this to learn - if you're going to re-assemble or try to sell them, most engine shops will hot tank heads for low money, like $30-$50 for the pair probably and they will be sparkling. It's a heated solvent bath of some really really nasty stuff that dissolves all the carbon and grease buildup.)

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
SAABeginner

Thanks! I used dawn but I just did a soft clean. I thought it was ok, until I looked at what they looked like brand new. I had no idea. I am on school for auto mechanics and am taking apart me saab, parting it out, and learning slowly but surely so I can open up my own shop one day. Thanks for the link. I'll post here my results I'm gonna do it tonight.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:03 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
I'd drop it off at a machine shop, and ask them to bake and plane it.
$100, tops, and you'll have a "brand new" head.

No matter how clean it is, it'll still need to be planed before you bolt it back up.
most shops will clean it before they deck it
Old 01-17-2014, 03:06 PM   #7
SAABeginner

I read that if you put it in the oven at 500 degrees with shim stock and bolt it to a board tightly an cool it for 5 hours it will be planed. I'm going to soak it on degreaser soap and baking soda for an hour, take a old credit card to it and see what happens. Then I will remove the valves
Old 01-17-2014, 03:53 PM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoelectricalexpert456 View Post
I read that if you put it in the oven at 500 degrees with shim stock and bolt it to a board tightly an cool it for 5 hours it will be planed.
Um, no. Planing a head means milling it flat. The machine shop will actually remove material. Only needs to be done if the head is warped, and the shop should be able to tell. Most heads have some extra material cast in from the factory to allow some removal. This might also have to be done on the engine block as well to clean up the mating surface, like if it is pitted.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:14 PM   #9
Elder

The relaxing ovens are used if the head is warped from being overheated. It's not to straighten the face that mates to the block, it's so that the cam journals don't bind. And yes, it's held at temperature for a few hours, and you do shim under the high spots, but you have to be able to accurately measure how warped it is and Sun the appropriate thickness. Usually done with a granite surface plate and measuring equipment you likely don't have available anyway.

Then the deck surface is machined so there is a fresh surface for the head gasket to seal to.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:53 PM   #10
SAABeginner

This is after baking soda, soap, and a credit card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (400.4 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in