Questions - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Questions

looking at 9-5's ... I see so many with blown motors.. what goes bad? I hear about the pcv update is it the lower end knocking or do the motors sludge up? also I hear about turbo's failing and now the car does not run or starts and dies.. I have had the wastegate rod fall off and the car will not have boost but it still runs and drives.....looking at the 1998-2002 range cars...thanks for any info guys
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
Elder

If they don't get regular quality oil changes they will sludge up (2000-2002 9-3's do the same thing). When they sludge up, it will wear out the bearings, balance shaft bores, timing and balance shaft chain guides, cam bearing surfaces and will clog up and kill the turbo - basically everything that depends on steady oil pressure.

If you are looking at a higher mileage one just make sure it has service records, as long as the engine is quiet and smooth usually the worst case is you have to drop the pan to clean any accumulated sludge out of the screen in the pickup tube screen, run a little engine flush on a few low mileage oil changes and you're good to go.

FYI my '99 9-5 just hit 277k miles and it's clean as could be in the engine. I have every oil change record back to new and it never went more than 6k miles between changes with full- or semi-synthetic oil and it's never had the oil pan off, and is on original timing and balance shaft guides, and it doesn't even have PCV-7 on it, it has the previous version, had it when I got it. *knock on wood*

It's all about maintenance with these.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

lack of oil or sludge, t7 engines drink oil people forget to fill them lol

edit -What is pcv 7? i though 6 was the newest one? :s

Old 12-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
Elder

Whichever. You're right, I meant 6. Mine has the old version that doesn't have the vent nozzle on the oil fill tube.

I've been in my engineering job long enough that some of the numbering stuff from running the Saab shop is starting to slip. :-/

Now my brain is a repository for an entirely new batch of semi-useless specialized specifications and parts designations and such.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.

Last edited by DrewP; 12-20-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via Yahoo to rarelibra Send a message via Skype™ to rarelibra
better to get a 2004 and stick with the 4 cylinder. I haven't heard of a lot of blown engines, honestly. Like it has been said, if you take care of these cars/engines they will last a long time and remain reliable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
i don't think a c900 has sold for 28k since the day one left the dealership new.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #6
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

You'll find any T7 car with a blown motor if the owner didn't change oil very often.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in