moderate to heavy oil leak - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #1
SAABeginner

moderate to heavy oil leak

Hi fellas I just bought a 2000 aero that has a oil leak on the passenger side of the block. PO said it was a oil pan gasket. I have not jacked it up yet, I thought i would get some feed back as to what to look for before I attempt to fix it. I do not know what the known issues of the Saabs just yet as I am new to the Saab world. My son bought a 9000 Aero and i was impressed with it so I bought one right lol. So this would actually be the first time working on a Saab. I plan on working on it today so feed back will be very appreciated! Thank you and i will continue to post what i find out. Oh also i went on Youtube and to me it maybe be the oilpump sealNot sure but the more info the merrier!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
A good start is to pressure wash the thing and look for the fresh leak.

The oil pan does not use a gasket but an anerobic sealant. Somebody will chime in with the best stuff to use.

While it is off you need to check the pick up screen and replace the o rings for the oil pick up as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
A good start is to pressure wash the thing and look for the fresh leak.

The oil pan does not use a gasket but an anerobic sealant. Somebody will chime in with the best stuff to use.

While it is off you need to check the pick up screen and replace the o rings for the oil pick up as well.
Thanks that is a good idea!... However its at the bottom and leaks with a good drip. Its about a 12" or better oil spot when it sits overnight, I thought i mt be able to see it drip while it was on jack stands. Also is the process straight forward as far as pulling the pan?

Old 12-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
Elder

Pulling the pan is a medium DIY job. as Tweek said, clean off the area and use some brake clean or other on tough spots to identify the problem. Could be the plug, cracked pan or bolt loose. I would start with the plug and see if its tight or stripped, there should be a crush washer (usually copper washer).

It also could be running down the block from the Oil sensor, turbo line, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VT View Post
Thanks that is a good idea!... However its at the bottom and leaks with a good drip. Its about a 12" or better oil spot when it sits overnight, I thought i mt be able to see it drip while it was on jack stands. Also is the process straight forward as far as pulling the pan?
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert
Old 12-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
You may have a cracked pan or other. Seems like alot of oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 12-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
Elder

Is the oil also anywhere around the subframe on the passenger side? Maybe around the plastic wheel well shield?

My moms 95 is also doing this and I'm suspecting the front main seal.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
I believe this is the stuff that Tweak is talking about (which most people use) Permatex Anaerobic Gasket Maker - Permatex 51813 | FCP Euro

I've personally had good luck with RTV Black (Permatex Ultra Black Maximum Oil Resistance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker - Permatex 82180 | FCP Euro) and letting it cure 24+ hours before adding oil. Not everyone agrees this is the best way to go, but I've had luck with it on Saabs and other vehicles in the past...

I'm actually currently trying to track down an oil leak on my 9-5 as well, only on the Drivers side. Best of luck.
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
Elder

Front mains and oil pump o- rings can leak ALOT when they go bad.

Make sure your crank vent system is up to date. When the bad hoses collapse they can blow seals and force oil out.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
SAAB Road Master

Timing covers leak ALL the time on these cars, clean it off. Pinpoint the leak... Repair the leak .
Old 12-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTurbo900 View Post
Front mains and oil pump o- rings can leak ALOT when they go bad.

Make sure your crank vent system is up to date. When the bad hoses collapse they can blow seals and force oil out.
Do you have pics of this area? Im new to wkn on Saabs. Thanks
Old 12-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
SAABeginner

Thanks to all for the info!! It was the front main seal and oil pump housing seal.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
SAABeginner

While your at it....
Check the timing chain tensioner for leaks. It can leak form the big washer or the little washer.
My 04 Arc that I just rebuilt was leaking form the small washer. Some how I missed replacing that one. It looked fine but when I bent it it showed the crack. It must have opened up under tightening pressure. It leaks allot.
Someone mentioned power washing the motor.... I hit it with engine degreaser and drive to the car wash (6 blocks) and do it there. You don't want that stuff in your driveway!
Or spray it on when you get to the car wash and let it sit for 30 min or so. (Don't let the car wash owners see you doing that... They may not like it. )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in