2006 9-5 Wagon Project - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 9000Andrew
2006 9-5 Wagon Project

With the Viggen & SPG gone, I couldn't just go on living without any Saab, so I picked this cheap fixer 9-5 up from the local Copart in Albany a few weeks back. Details are:

5spd, formerly SAAB certified, 105k-ish miles, runs/drives well, some small dings, good tires/suspension/etc, all options work.

Needs: Car took a very light hit up front that pushed in front rebar on passenger side. Airbags did not blow. Since the rebar is spot welded on, I'll be removing and replacing with one from a donor car. Luckily for me, the front bumper is useable and the headlights were intact (thank god)! Besides the rebar and a front bumper repaint, the only other thing it may need is rotors due to sitting.

Look for more updates as this gets underway. Plan is to fix, get NYS rebuilt salvage inspection, and then DD throughout the winter/spring! If all goes well, I should be in the car no more than $2000-2500 including purchase price, repairs, transport/towing etc!!!

Some pics:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 9-3 Aero 6mt
2005 9-3 Aero auto (wife's ride!)

Last edited by 9000Andrew; 11-20-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
wow nice! I've said it a million times... 5spd 9-5 wagons rule!

I still say they look so odd without roof rails though
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cark View Post
wow nice! I've said it a million times... 5spd 9-5 wagons rule!

I still say they look so odd without roof rails though
Yup, roof racks definitely need to be added! Otherwise, it makes it look too long AND you lose a lot of functionality.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 9-3 Aero 6mt

Old 11-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Nice! I've been looking to switch from a 9-5 sedan to a wagon but can't find these damn deals everyone else keeps finding! Have fun
Old 11-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I doubt I still have them but may be able to donate rotors that came off mine when I did the brembo swap. You would need to collect them in Cortland Co. NY if I find them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 11-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
Elder

Wicked awesome!

I've always been interested in buying a project car someday from copart...but never really understood the registration and buying procedure. Could you shed some light on that for me?
Old 11-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
WSW
Elder

I believe you need a dealers license for most cars, that's what I was told when I was trying to get a Viggen from there
Old 11-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

awesome find. Ive too been looking for something like this.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-the-kid View Post
Wicked awesome!

I've always been interested in buying a project car someday from copart...but never really understood the registration and buying procedure. Could you shed some light on that for me?
You register with one of the brokers on the site by giving $400 refundable deposit, drivers license copy, and some other info. Then, when you bid on vehicles, you basically do it as them. If you win, they get sent an invoice, you pay them the total (+ a fee for their time ~ $200) and PRESTO, you own the car and can schedule pickup. The process is a lot easier than one would think. The broker I use is Alpine Auto Gallery in NJ. The only negative thing is the fees that come along with buying something. For example: I won the 9-5 for $1050. That, plus the copart buyer fee ($150-200), plus internet bid fee ($50), plus gate fee to get in ($30), PLUS broker fee ($200), and all-in-all, you pay a few hundred in addition to any winning bid price. Still though, even with the fees, the totals leave a lot of room on the bone for those who are DIY'ers. The only bummer in NYS is that salvage examination process will take about 2 months from start to finish. In other states, this may not be as bad though.

Overall, there are many good deals to be had, and not all cars are salvage titled. There are many with clean titles being wholesaled OR they just had never been reported to insurance.

Example: the other day, a clean title 2006 Audi S4 manual with ~70k & 6spd needed a fender and hood. The car went for $6300. After fees, it's probably $7,000 total, but even then, with $500 invested, you have a clean title car worth 10-15k+.

2006 9-3 Aero 6mt

Last edited by 9000Andrew; 11-21-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Very cool. There is a manual Turbox sedan on there with black BBS CHs for $7,900 buy it now.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:34 PM   #11
Elder

Almost fixed

I repaired the bend on the one side of the front reinforcement and reinstalled the bumper (which was magically not damaged from the accident) and headlights. Now, all that needs to be done is some fine tinkering, interior TLC, and a little PDR. Should be through the salvage exam in the next few weeks.

2006 9-3 Aero 6mt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in