2001 9-5 no heat sometimes?? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
TSLMember

2001 9-5 no heat sometimes??

Hello all,
So I have a weird issue. My daughters 9-5 doesn't have heat sometimes. The engine temp is normal, has new coolant and plenty of it. Sometimes it blows cold air. The heat settings can be on high with car warmed up. A few days ago she said she hit a bump and then had heat. I'm wondering if there is a heater door sticking? Or an electric issue? No codes popping up and otherwise no problems. Any ideas? When the heat works it has great heat, but when it doesn't I have a very unhappy little girl!! lol
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsaabguy View Post
Hello all,
So I have a weird issue. My daughters 9-5 doesn't have heat sometimes. The engine temp is normal, has new coolant and plenty of it. Sometimes it blows cold air. The heat settings can be on high with car warmed up. A few days ago she said she hit a bump and then had heat. I'm wondering if there is a heater door sticking? Or an electric issue? No codes popping up and otherwise no problems. Any ideas? When the heat works it has great heat, but when it doesn't I have a very unhappy little girl!! lol
The whole hvac system is a mess in these cars, most likely one of the plastic hvac arms are broken on the driver side under the kick panel you have to get on your back and dick around look for the arms there are lots of DIY pdf's around hopefully someone will post one. pess AUTO + OFF at the same time it will take about 30 seconds it will give you a list of codes

ie : 3 - 11

one of on the left side then one is on the right side of the acc screen
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-12-2013, 04:24 AM   #3
Avid TSL User

If there is no heat at all then I don't think it is a blend door issue. The DICE controls the input from the sending unit and if the DICE has a failure the heating or AC system wont recognize signals from the control unit which is the thing that has the buttons you push to control the system. It is a cheap fix but likely you will need a tech who knows saabs to diagnose.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
TSLMember

The car will have normal heat that you expect, or none at all, as if the heater isn't allowing heat thru the core or simply not letting in blow over the core. The fan and selections work right. It is a deal where if it works in the morning it works all day, but if it won't blow heat at all once it has warmed up, it may at some point start blowing heat, almost like something is stuck and opens up or something. But you never hear anything pop or slap like a louver popping free.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

dice failing is worst case and that would effect other parts of the car also.. its more simple my car use to do this, until i rigged the arms to either always blow hot through normal vents or ac from all vents... just saying
Old 11-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Did you do what was recommended in post #2? Auto+OFF? Any results?

ACC calibration and fault codes - Saab 9-5
Old 11-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
It's a broken blend door. mine does the same thing.
Turning and bumps can move the arm and cause hot/cold air.
It's not hard to fix, but you have to be careful to not use a heavy hand, or you can EASILY break it beyond simple repair.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
TSLMember

I will be fooling with it this weekend. Have to replace positive battery cable and figured I would try to determine whats going on with the heater as well. This whole week is has had heat no problem. I don't dare assume the issue has healed! I will pull coeds if there are any and check blend door stuff too.
Totally different subject but has anyone had a 9-5 that the power seat moves weird? It use to adjust in a smooth motion, now if you want to move it back for a taller driver, the seat clicks on and off moving in small bursts? Any chance maybe it is just a relay under the seat? Does it to move forward or back? Didn't do it a few months ago. No big deal but probably not right. Love the electrics in these cars! Aside from that, I do love the car, nice smooth powerful ride!
Old 11-16-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Just be careful under there. The difference between a $40 fix and $800 fix is not a big one.

And the seat is a broken seat position sensor. On my old 9-3, when the plastic trim broke, it pulled the sensor off and then the seat goes into a safe mode where it only moves an inch or so at a time.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
TSLMember

Thanks for the info on the seat position sensor, I will check that out. Must be something got jammed under the seat or something, it was working fine not too long ago.
As for the heater, it HAS to be a blend door. I don't normally driver the car but did yesterday. It has good heat but if you shut off the heat and turn it back on it then has no heat at all. And then it sometimes comes back. I have to climb under the dash and see what makes it have heat and see if I can at least lock it in the heat position for right now, I don't have a lot of time to mess with it right now. I will be careful with it, thanks for the advise on that! I have no intentions of doing any $800 repairs on this car. I like it a lot but I don't love it! lol
Old 11-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #11
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Search "acc 08" on any Saab forum for your heat problem, there are MANY ways these things can fail. Unplug the switch for the seat memory for your seat moving problem
Old 11-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #12
TSLMember

Update, I did the calibration. It says the only code is #08 for Stepping motor, air-mixing flap, LH - no mechanical contact with flap
So it looks like I need to lay under the dash to see if I can find anything disconnected. Would explain the intermittent heat/cold issues if a flap is wobbling around freely! I will keep you posted as to what I find.
At the same time I will get a glance under the seat as well. and try disconnecting the memory switch as suggested.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #13
Elder

There's a replacement "barrel" out there to fix the problem. I've seen 'em as low as $30, and as much as $99. you'll pop off the air ducting and have pretty easy access to what you need.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #14
TSLMember

Didn't have time today to tear the car apart but it looks like I need to remove the lower dash panel(above the pedals) in order to get access up to the heater box. I will have to dig into that another day. At least I know where to dig now.
Any chance anyone has a pic of the heater box? Real pic or even just a schematic type drawing?
Thanks
Old 11-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #15
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Update, I did the calibration. It says the only code is #08 for Stepping motor, air-mixing flap, LH - no mechanical contact with flap
So it looks like I need to lay under the dash to see if I can find anything disconnected. Would explain the intermittent heat/cold issues if a flap is wobbling around freely! I will keep you posted as to what I find.
At the same time I will get a glance under the seat as well. and try disconnecting the memory switch as suggested.
I also found an arm on the passenger side ( under beside the glove box ) would constantly fall off until i rigged it with a zip tie, somehow the passenger side is still connected with the driver side :/

here is the PDF i used its great but it wont load sometimes

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3CR...hl=en_US&pli=1
Old 11-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #16
TSLMember

Saab95Aero , thanks for the link, it loaded just fine. It shows very clearly what you are fooling with in there. Thanks for that! Now I am more confident to dig in. I think I need to pop off the lower dash panel above the pedals to get to the blend door motors. I may also pull the radio to see if I can get a top view. Maybe that way will help me see how best to get the motor unit off and see whats going on. Its great that there is a repair shaft. I saw those online , maybe ebay, just didn't know for sure that they were what I may need.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #17
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Saab95Aero , thanks for the link, it loaded just fine. It shows very clearly what you are fooling with in there. Thanks for that! Now I am more confident to dig in. I think I need to pop off the lower dash panel above the pedals to get to the blend door motors. I may also pull the radio to see if I can get a top view. Maybe that way will help me see how best to get the motor unit off and see whats going on. Its great that there is a repair shaft. I saw those online , maybe ebay, just didn't know for sure that they were what I may need.
I have one that i can sell you, aluminum shaft + arm, Ironically my shaft was not broken so make sure yours is broken before you buy one. like i said i ended up saying fuck it and rigged it so i either have hot air from all vents or cold ac coming from top vents only.. beats screwing this these stupid hvac boxes.. Good luck i find if you fix one code another different code just comes back up its stupid.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:30 AM   #18
TSLMember

Thanks I will let you know if I need the shaft. Yeah, I find these cars to be a little over complicated. The cost of repair parts for the HVAC system is a joke. It is plastic, not gold!
The stereo linked to the security system? really? Seems like a great car when it is all in good working order, and it has held off rust tremendously well, but when there trouble its never easy on this car! Don't get me wrong, I do like the car but I dread when it needs repairs
Old 02-13-2014, 07:15 AM   #19
TSLMember

Hi,
So I had looked at this car heat issue a while ago, forgot to post what is wrong.
So I do in fact have an issue with the left blend door. But mine didn't snap off like most. This car hasn't broken the blend door shaft like it is broken in the link Saab95Aero was kind enough to send me. The shaft going through the heater box is intact but where the stepper motor shaft goes into the blend door shaft the blend door shaft is broken. So the keyed shaft on the stepper motor doesn't have anything to grab when it turns. Most of the blend door shaft is there but a piece snapped off and is long gone. When connected occasionally it will give you heat, seems to have no problem turning it to the cold position. But rarely to the heat position. So as it has been cold as heck here in Vermont, I pulled the stepper motor off and manually turned the door so I have heat. And for now I left the stepper motor unhooked in the dash so we keep it on heat mode. The wires are still connected so it won't trigger any further faults. Secured snug so it won't bang around. Anyone have any suggestion at all what to do in this case? I considered gluing it but I am not positive what position it needs to be at with car off. And when you turn key on the stepper goes to a home position and then back to the position required to perform the task your heater control is asking of it. Too much motion for wet glue/epoxy. If it glue it wrong, it will then break something else. I may just be stuck in manual forever? I have no desire to pull heater box! Why does the weird stuff always happen to me? lol
Old 03-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #20
SAABeginner

Did you fix it or you still stuck out? I have the same problems in my 9-5 Aero and I'm dressing looking down there haha. I hope my 08 code is simpler than this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in