Repair Shops in Bellingham/Vancouver BC/Seattle/etc.??? Smoking out the Oil Filler??? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Unhappy Repair Shops in Bellingham/Vancouver BC/Seattle/etc.??? Smoking out the Oil Filler???

My 9-5 decided to toss some oil lights, and I stopped her asap. Oil was nearly bone dry...sigh...Have had to start the car a couple of times since and engine is rough, but no noise noticed...just a super rough feeling engine that needed to be started to get it quickly on the auto tow for our move...figure about 1 minute total time and no check oil lights during these very quick turn on/offs...but...

1) Oil squirted through the oil filler no doubt and maybe even through the spark plug area.

2) Smoking through the oil filler area starts almost immediately after cranking engine.

3) I'm thinking PCV is clogged, but I'm also thinking the worst...

I suppose the only PRO about it is the oil is not dripping/dropping below the car and remains only above...so filling up results in zero drops of oil.

Any chance this car that just had a freshened up engine about 20K miles ago (i.e. fully rebuilt everything) is still ok OR does it sound like it's likely toast?

I am now in Deming, WA which is closest to Bellingham, then Vancouver and Seattle. I need someone to help with the car and am willing to obviously pay and supply whatever beer/wine/etc.)!!! This has been our trusty car and she's a beauty. To see her like this is truly heartbreaking for me and especially my wife who has driven the car without any issues at all.

I am able to do 200 mile tows, so I can get the car down to Seattle and "almost" to Atomic in Portland (should have thought of Atomic before I auto-towed her up this far), but hopeful that we have enough solid mechanics up this far.

Please send me either a PM or just send me a text/email:

541-270-7319

[email protected]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
Elder

Could just be PCV, that's all easy to check. If your 9-5 is one of the early ones make sure you check the PCV low-pressure suction banjo fitting on the top of the turbo delivery pipe right after the air mass meter.

Compression test and running with enough oil in it and watching for the low oil pressure lamp will tell you a lot and it's fast.

Atomic or Scanwest are both excellent choices if there's not somewhere more local you could take it to, I'm sure everyone on here that lives up that direction will agree. Scanwest would be my personal choice, but that's only because I've never interacted with anyone at Atomic personally.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #3

In Vancouver BC there's Swedish Auto Sport and Nordicspeed. Both are on the web.

I suspect you've already headed south unless you were on your way across the border anyway. Haven't been to Scanwest but have only ever heard good things.

A PITA for sure. Best of luck.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #4

Thanks guys...posted over on SaabCentral also, and some local recommendations for a few shops in Bellingham, but at $100 an hour, that seems like robbery just for a compression test and crankcase area test??? Is this just what is expected nowadays?)
Old 11-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post
Could just be PCV, that's all easy to check. If your 9-5 is one of the early ones make sure you check the PCV low-pressure suction banjo fitting on the top of the turbo delivery pipe right after the air mass meter.

Compression test and running with enough oil in it and watching for the low oil pressure lamp will tell you a lot and it's fast.

Atomic or Scanwest are both excellent choices if there's not somewhere more local you could take it to, I'm sure everyone on here that lives up that direction will agree. Scanwest would be my personal choice, but that's only because I've never interacted with anyone at Atomic personally.
Scanwest looks good, especially that it's about 90ish miles from Bellingham and hopefully their rates aren't so high.

I do have a 2000 year 9-5 Aero, and I believe it was a more original version, but not absolutely 100% certain...but thanks a lot for the point made about the banjo fitting. Can I bypass the PCV by any chance just to see if that's a problem area or is the PCV needing to in the very least be replaced and checked out? I ask because I have some GS silicone hose I can drop in there in place of the PCV+its hosing.

Will call Scanwest tomorrow and see what they would want to have a compression test done, though maybe I have to cough up the $100 locally before I go taking the car 90 miles only to learn of an engine needing to be rebuilt or something that would be sadly too much for me to take care of. I'm just praying the engine is ok. So much bad has happened lately I want to think the engine is just toast, but maybe this is the glimpse of hope both my wife and I have been needing so badly.

Thanks again and any further words feel free.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPGreg View Post
In Vancouver BC there's Swedish Auto Sport and Nordicspeed. Both are on the web.

I suspect you've already headed south unless you were on your way across the border anyway. Haven't been to Scanwest but have only ever heard good things.

A PITA for sure. Best of luck.
I'm originally from California, was in Oregon for 9 years, now at the tip of WA State, so as my friend says, I will be Santa Clause sometime soon and no, Vancouver is definitely not out of reach by any means. It's closer then Seattle. Any Saabers up there that can diy decent? I'm trying my best to avoid shops, but it looks like Scanwest or this shop you are referring to sound very good. Just wish some Indy mechanics were around as I bet it's a quick fix or an engine blown
Old 11-08-2013, 04:27 AM   #7

Important: is the smoke coming out in distinct puffs, or just a steady stream?
Old 11-09-2013, 01:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
Important: is the smoke coming out in distinct puffs, or just a steady stream?
Steady stream. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-09-2013, 03:52 AM   #9

Puffs usually indicate cracked piston, steady stream points to a PCV or related issue.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

Up date to PCV #6 its well worth it, i blew a dipstick apart one time

Old 11-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progression View Post
I'm originally from California, was in Oregon for 9 years, now at the tip of WA State, so as my friend says, I will be Santa Clause sometime soon and no, Vancouver is definitely not out of reach by any means. It's closer then Seattle. Any Saabers up there that can diy decent? I'm trying my best to avoid shops, but it looks like Scanwest or this shop you are referring to sound very good. Just wish some Indy mechanics were around as I bet it's a quick fix or an engine blown
Nordicspeed is not a DIYer but probably best for what you're looking for if you head north. The owner's name is Gustav and IIRC he owns 9-5s & knows them well. He sells parts but also has a mechanic named Bjarne working in his shop. Bjarne is a Saab mechanic in his 60s & he's very good. He and his brother ran the best known Saab dealership up here in the 80s & into the 90s, Castor Motors.

I'll post this thread on the local Saab Club forum & see if anyone can help. Sorry, I don't know a thing about 9-5s & am still learning about c900s. I'm originally from Cali too.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPGreg View Post
Nordicspeed is not a DIYer but probably best for what you're looking for if you head north. The owner's name is Gustav and IIRC he owns 9-5s & knows them well. He sells parts but also has a mechanic named Bjarne working in his shop. Bjarne is a Saab mechanic in his 60s & he's very good. He and his brother ran the best known Saab dealership up here in the 80s & into the 90s, Castor Motors.

I'll post this thread on the local Saab Club forum & see if anyone can help. Sorry, I don't know a thing about 9-5s & am still learning about c900s. I'm originally from Cali too.
Thanks a ton. I truly appreciate this. Per the above user, I do have the #6 kit installed, but I am leaning towards a faulty PCV, but hoping the engine is ok. This Saab has been nothing but great for us. I actually feel safer in the snow with it then AWD vehicles and in spite its fugly handling, she's truly a warrior and a fabulous ride. My wife is very eager to have her back!
Old 11-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progression View Post
Thanks a ton. I truly appreciate this. Per the above user, I do have the #6 kit installed, but I am leaning towards a faulty PCV, but hoping the engine is ok. This Saab has been nothing but great for us. I actually feel safer in the snow with it then AWD vehicles and in spite its fugly handling, she's truly a warrior and a fabulous ride. My wife is very eager to have her back!
One of the members up here said "Jeff Malone who used to work for Scanwest runs a shop in Anacortes, WA. The guys at Scanwest trust him as well." No experience myself but here's the link:

importautosportinc.com,
Old 11-17-2013, 02:06 AM   #14

Just an update. Have no compression tested yet, but will do so this coming week. I did allow the car to run a little longer, however...likely for the worst.

1) The smoke out of the filler was still there, steady flow.

2) The new news...Smoke started to flood out the exhaust!

3) Even though it is later in the evening now, and I only had moonlight to inspect things, it appears the smoke is no longer coming through the dipstick, but through the exhaust AND what seemed like near the turbo area (right corner side of the car and down lower where the turbo would be).

4) At one point in time, the engine light started to repeatedly flash...it was similar to when the car misfires, but it continued to flash. So a slow, but continuous flashing of the engine light, by which I then turned it off. I pulled the fuse to the ECU, and no engine light has come on since though I am not sure how long it would take for the ECU to flash an engine light after it is reset.

Not exactly good news since the above is so much bad news, but when looking at the engine temperature gauge, it was at normal. The coolant looks perfectly clean and zero loss of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in