2000 9-5 not start but cranks help! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
SAABeginner

2000 9-5 not start but cranks help!

Just bought the car from a guy who just wanted it gone. Car is in great condition 190k but it left his wife and 2 month on the side of the road. Car was not starting when I bought it but since I'm pretty mechanical I thought I'd try my luck. Below are the symptoms.

Car cranks
Does not start. (Every once in a while it will fire (not run)
Tested fuel rail, pressure is there do not have gauge.
Pulled di found small crack on the underside plastic
Tested di for sparks grounding each spark plug to bat- no sparks
Both remotes do not work
Key only (lock)unlocks door u are turning
Guy said when he towed the car to mech, mech told him he thought that imobilizer had kicked in. If that was the case key shouldn't turn engine over???

Any help is appreciated!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
Elder

Try the crank position sensor. That's a common problem.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
SAABeginner

When I turn the key the tach needle moves would that indicate the CPs is ok? Can it be tested with a Multi meter?

Old 10-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
SAABeginner

No other suggestions from anyone else??
Old 10-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbax65 View Post
When I turn the key the tach needle moves would that indicate the CPs is ok? Can it be tested with a Multi meter?
Yes it can be tested...need to check resistance but i cant remember the numbers.. search the forums for that.. cps going bad is common

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
Elder

Neutral Safety Switch if its an Auto? ECU contacts clean? Can you borrow a CPS or a twice unit?
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert
Old 10-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #7
SAABeginner

Ok I looked at the CPS testing, can we ohm it out with the sensor still attached? I used my meter on ohms/continuity and got 0 hms between all 3 wires. I've read that u are supposed to get around 200-900 ohms on a good one. So if I got 0 does that mean bad CPS?? Thanks. I'm testing the leads on the harness end with the sensor still connected to the motor.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I bought a CPS for $30 not too long ago, works fine. You should just buy it anyways. Especially if you just bought the car and it has 190k.
2002 9-3 SE
2002 9-3 SE Vert
1999 LB 9-3 Viggen
1996 9000 CSE (RIP)
1990 9000 S (SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
SAABeginner

Thanks, getting one tonight. Hope it's the solution!!
Old 10-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Maybe the car was trying to say something. He probably got rid of the wrong part of the mentioned equation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 10-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #11
SAABeginner

Quick question when i crank the engine the tach needle does move. I've gone thru a lot of post from what I've read if the tax moves wen engine cranks sensor is good can anyone comment? Thanks
Old 10-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
I had a similar issue on a family '03 9-5. Turned out there was a bad contact with a ground.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #13
SAABeginner

Just picked up a new crank sensor I got the following readings on the new one 928 ohms on the one that is still in the car I got 862 ohms. Is the old crank sensor still good? I don't think 60 ohms is a big enough reason to install the new one what does anyone else think ? Thanks for any response as usual!!
Old 10-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #14
SAABeginner

I checked the main ground to the block and the one to chassis all looked good . Any other suspect places to look for grounding problems?
Old 10-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbax65 View Post
I checked the main ground to the block and the one to chassis all looked good . Any other suspect places to look for grounding problems?
There are 1 or 2 that go to the right side of the intake manifold and another to the thermostat housing on the back (firewall side) right of the block.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #16
SAABeginner

Thanks mark I'll check grounding by thermostat tomorrow.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:51 AM   #17
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to tapper
Might be a silly question but you never smell fuel when you're trying to crank it do you?

I've encountered twice on different cars within a short time of eachother the fuel line popping out of socket from the fuel pump resulting in no start... there's a tsb on it being... its an easy enough check lift rear seat and pop up the round cover in the middle

Last edited by tapper; 11-01-2013 at 03:56 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #18
SAABeginner

Update. Installed new CPS and car still does not start. I did some more research and with some of my symptoms

-Key fobs not working (bat has been changed)
-Cabin lights don't work when doors are opened
-Passenger seat motor does not function

Think it could be the twice unit when I took the seat out and inspected twice I found a lot of moisture under carpet and after pulling twice pc board found a burn spot in the board.

My question now is if I get a used twice unit what do I need to get with it ? Keys? key cylinder? And from what I hear everything I get has to be programmed for my car? Any help / direction would be appreciated?

Thanks!!
Old 11-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #19
Elder

Suggest that you find a good indy mechanic in the area and see if they can help. If your lucky, you can find someone with a twice, keys and locks in a package. Make sure that you get the glovebox and trunk locks as well.

Option two is to get the ignition lock, twice and and use two keys, one to open the car via key fob and one to open the mechanical lock.
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert
Old 11-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #20
SAABeginner

Thanks for the feedback! The new key fob will open the locks electrically once I get them programmed to the new twice, and if I needed to I could use the old keys to mechanically open the doors and trunk. That's basically what u were saying correct? I hear that if you buy a used twice module you need to make sure that it was divorced from the donor car, do you know if that's correct or will the mech I get be able to mate the unit to my car if the divorce didn't happen? Now the hard part is going to be finding a good mech to do this in North Dallas!! Not a lot of Saabs around! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in