02 Aero Wagon:::Recent Purchase - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

02 Aero Wagon:::Recent Purchase

So I had some extra insurance money from the Viggen accident and decided to pull the trigger on some winter wheels. Luckily I found a decent priced Aero wagon that needed a little TLC. It has 175k on the body and 145 on the engine. First engine was a victim of sludge. This one seems to be running strong! I'll be dropping the oil pan soon just make sure. So far I've replaced....

- All new vac lines. Most of them were cracked or broken.
- Inlet pipe to turbo o-ring along with clamp. Inlet was rattling against turbo.
- PCV hose to valve cover was torn
- New rear rotors and pads
- New rear struts
- CPS

Parts on the way....

- New engine mounts
- Coolant Sensor

First pic after driving it home from purchase

Dirty mess

loose!

Luckily I had some extra parts laying around

new struts, rotors and pads for the rear

Little bit cleaner

Made a custom divider for the dogs

Slapped some 16's with snow tread on, luckily right right before it started snowing!

Next week I'll install mounts, coolant sensor, plasti dip wheels black and apply 20% tint. Bars and snowboard rack should set me straight for winter!
2002 9-3 SE
2002 9-3 SE Vert
1999 LB 9-3 Viggen
1996 9000 CSE (RIP)
1990 9000 S (SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I mentioned in the other thread, Burnsides migh wanna buy those fany rims off ya.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Awesome.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
SAABeginner

Awesome ride man. I Recently bout a 2000 9-5 aero wagon and I'm having trouble diagnosing a rattlling noise from the engine compartment when I pull out from a stop, it goes away if I baby the gas pedal and once up to speed. I noticed you said you said you had a rattle noise due to the inlet clamp onto the turbo. I didn't know if you experienced something similar to me.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by niklauskegs View Post
Awesome ride man. I Recently bout a 2000 9-5 aero wagon and I'm having trouble diagnosing a rattlling noise from the engine compartment when I pull out from a stop, it goes away if I baby the gas pedal and once up to speed. I noticed you said you said you had a rattle noise due to the inlet clamp onto the turbo. I didn't know if you experienced something similar to me.
That sounds a lot like a bad engine mount. How many miles? Any history on the maintenance? The rattle that was coming from my inlet pipe was a metal to metal rattle. It would go away under acceleration and sometime just cruising. If you feel a vibration in the car its probably your mounts. If there's no vibration definitely something else. I'd look at the clamp that holds the inlet to turbo.

I just ordered new mounts because I've got a crucial vibration in the car when I'm stopped with the my foot on the brake. Vibration goes away when its in Park or Neutral.
2002 9-3 SE
2002 9-3 SE Vert
1999 LB 9-3 Viggen
1996 9000 CSE (RIP)
1990 9000 S (SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #6

I recently ran into some problems, started a separate thread in the "Problems" category.

https://www.saablink.net/forum/car-pr...only/80986.htm
2002 9-3 SE
2002 9-3 SE Vert
1999 LB 9-3 Viggen
1996 9000 CSE (RIP)
1990 9000 S (SOLD)

Old 11-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #7

After three days of swapping parts from parts cars and installing some new ones along the way, the wagon is back at it!

I still can't pin point what actually made me break down last week but I did replace the following parts for this particular issue.

- CPS
- Coolant Temp Sensor
- Turbo, TD04 15t

other parts replaced...

- Right side top engine mount
- Front trans mount
- Top trans mount

problems found along the way...

- Only one bolt was holding the power steering pump on
- Seals into block are bad on water pump
- The engine and trans mounts were so worn, the engine was tilted down on the right side. Almost an inch. Believe this may have some effect on crank seal leaking.

Break down begins...

Removed original turbo

TD04 out of my '02 SE vert next to old one

Old top trans mount

Bottom trans mount comparison

Top right engine mount comparison

Installed

She started right up after installing everything. Engine mounts made a huge difference. Still need to order the rear engine mount. I sure its toasted as well. Plan on dropping the oil pan this week.
2002 9-3 SE
2002 9-3 SE Vert
1999 LB 9-3 Viggen
1996 9000 CSE (RIP)
1990 9000 S (SOLD)

Old 11-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

how do you like the 9-5 over the 9-3 ?
Old 11-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
how do you like the 9-5 over the 9-3 ?
Good question. Still figuring that out. I'm definitely digging the space and comfort in the 9-5. Out of the box, 9-5 a better buy if you want the performance/comfort feel. I think the 9-3 can sometimes be more fun to drive because of the weight difference, little bit quicker. Think a lot of people would change their opinions about the 9-3 if it had rear independent suspension. My Viggen has way more upgrades than the newly purchased stock 9-5 so I try not to compare. If I had the same upgrades on the wagon it probably drive completely different. I'll slowly start to put some suspension/bushing upgrades on wagon as I get back in shape. Still has a lot of little issues to address.
2002 9-3 SE
2002 9-3 SE Vert
1999 LB 9-3 Viggen
1996 9000 CSE (RIP)
1990 9000 S (SOLD)

Old 11-07-2013, 05:17 AM   #10

We had a warm day yesterday so I decided to put some tint on the windows and plasti-dip the winter wheels. I think it turned out pretty good.

step by step

Finally gave her a bath yesterday. snapped a couple pics this morning in different lighting. Unfortunately it was raining a little but still clean

Plasti-dipped the hatch emblems. First time doing that. Might go ahead and do the chrome on the front grille.

Probably going to order Thule rack this week along with snowboard rack attachment.
2002 9-3 SE
2002 9-3 SE Vert
1999 LB 9-3 Viggen
1996 9000 CSE (RIP)
1990 9000 S (SOLD)

Old 11-07-2013, 05:32 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
I love Aero wagons.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:52 AM   #12
Elder

nice ride man. if i could find one in similar trim to yours id have it in a heartbeat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in