Locked engine please verify - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Locked engine please verify

I think the engine seized up. It just died while driving. I thought it was the starter because it just clicks when I turn the key.. Changed out starter and im still having the same problem. So put back in the old starter. I thought maybe it was the timing chain but i pulled off the top and the chain is still in place. What else could it be? I tried to hand crank it and it seems to be stuck.. Seized up whats the best way to diagnose this or is it possible to un-seize it? Any help would be appreciated This is definitely a project I didn't want to start.. My boss bought it and paid WAY over blue book for it but he doesn't listen so now Im the fucked over mechanic and Im sure Im not going to make shit on it :P

Oh by the way its a

1999 Saab 9-7 2.3T
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
TSLMember

is battery fully charged
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
Elder

Pull the drain plug and fish around in the bottom of the pan with a magnetic pickup tool, or a coat hanger, see if you get metal out the bottom. Usually when the bottom end goes on these it spins a rod bearing.

If you have a leak down tester, remove the timing chain tensioner, and loosen all the cam bearing caps to let the valves close and see if one of the cylinders won't hold pressure. Pistons in these can break or melt (you might also be able to see carnage through the spark plug holes, or find that one cylinder is full of coolant and is just hydro-locked.

You can put a socket on the crank pulley bolt and try to spin the engine over too.

If it's the balance shaft chain that went, it's very difficult to remove the timing cover with the engine in the car (no clearance to remove the cover, it hits the right side frame member).

If you pull the oil pan to check the bearings you'll be able to see the balance shaft chain sprocket from below and might be able to tell if something in there broke. Those usually blow into a ton of pieces and blow out the timing cover though. The parts are all too fragile to lock the engine while it's running without something blowing out of the cover.

If it overheated badly it might also have a piston seized in the bore.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
Elder

Just get a good motor and swap it. If you cant crank the engine by hand then the motor is seized.

No one makes money off 99 9-5's anymore... your time is better spent elsewhere! Its more the kind of thing where if you have a weekend, a spare engine and the ambition you can end up with a decent DD for less than 2000$. No ones going to pay 5500$ for a 99 9-5 anymore, especially if you are in the rust belt

Figure 20 hrs to do a motor swap for the first time.

Probably make more parting it out if you have the patience.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to tapper
Bwhy would you replace the starter thats used only to get the engine runnimg if it was already running but stopped?

If you are trying to turn the crank from the side via wheel well make sure you use a short cheater bar because it can be difficult to get the leverage fequired in that position.

Did you pull the plugs and check for any damage in the cylinders?

You say it clicks.. One click? A ton of clicks? Rapid morse code sounding clicks?

Did you check the battery voltage? If the alternator went itd stop charging the battery and it could be dead if you didnt check thinking right off the bat it was something else.

Get some real leverage on the crank and try again... Unless of course you did see the oil light on and drove it anyways
Old 09-07-2013, 06:00 AM   #6
SAABeginner

I didnt know the engine just died while driving.. Guy told me it wouldnt start thats all i knew. and it clicks once when i turn the key indicating that the starter is engaging but wont turn. Battery is fully charged and new. And put battery jumper on it still didnt help. Ive tried to hand crank it but its not turning at all.. It seized somehow now i just got to try to figure out why.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:10 AM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside360 View Post
I didnt know the engine just died while driving.. Guy told me it wouldnt start thats all i knew. and it clicks once when i turn the key indicating that the starter is engaging but wont turn. Battery is fully charged and new. And put battery jumper on it still didnt help. Ive tried to hand crank it but its not turning at all.. It seized somehow now i just got to try to figure out why.
if its seized the why shouldnt matter. the cost and time to figure out why and then fix the why isnt worth it. Thats what NickTurbo900 was saying. Get a new engine if you can find one cheap and swap it. if not then part out whats left of the car
Old 09-07-2013, 06:18 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to VWSAABVT
Quote:
Im the mechanic
lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stg 5 99 9-3 coupe
96 900se sold
Old 09-07-2013, 06:26 AM   #9
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Figure out who was driving when it failed and ask them whether they saw dash lights or heard funny noises.

How long has your boss owned it? Any idea about its service history?

No offense OP, but from what I've read, this is still just a "no-start" (though likely temporarily) in the hands of somebody who's not familiar with or eager to work on Saabs.

'91 9000CD Turbo, Auto, Iridium Blue
'91 9000T, 5MT, Tally Red (No-Start Project)
'92 9000T, 5MT, Black
'04 9-5 Wagon, Auto, Nocturne Blue
Old 09-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #10
SAABeginner

Ok i know why its seized. plug number 1 smashed through the piston which im guessing did enough damage were just gonna do the engine swap. So thats what im gonna do today. take out the engine clean up the empty bay a little and get it ready for the new motor were gonnna order.anyone got a decent 1999 9-5 2.3t engine there trying to sell decent priced let me know and from what im seeing and haev read so far the engine has to come out anyways to do any kinda work on it anyhow. So..

Last edited by wesside360; 09-07-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #11
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Ok i know why its seized. plug number 1 smashed through the piston which im guessing did enough damage were just gonna do the engine swap. So thats what im gonna do today. take out the engine clean up the empty bay a little and get it ready for the new motor were gonnna order.anyone got a decent 1999 9-5 2.3t engine there trying to sell decent priced let me know and from what im seeing and haev read so far the engine has to come out anyways to do any kinda work on it anyhow. So..
LOL. Nevermind. That was quick.

Good luck!

'91 9000CD Turbo, Auto, Iridium Blue
'91 9000T, 5MT, Tally Red (No-Start Project)
'92 9000T, 5MT, Black
'04 9-5 Wagon, Auto, Nocturne Blue
Old 09-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #12
Elder

Location?
Old 09-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #13
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to tapper
location indeed... i know of an available engine with 180k for 250$.. if its still available anyways.. in MA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in