9-5 Engine Questions - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
SAABeginner

9-5 Engine Questions

Hello All,

I'm trying to find out the difference between a standard 1999 9-5 engine and 2001 9-5 Aero engine? Any info would be very much appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from someone and thanks for allowing access to such content.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
Site Moderator

wrong forum, thread moved.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to tapper
My understanding is the only difference between the base b235e and aero b235r is the turbos that come stock... If you take the td04 turbo from an aero (u can get for 200ish$ used) you can put it on the b235e and tune it to the same power as the aero and beyond dependimg on upgrade.. Otherwise I haven't seen anything anywhere as of yet that shows differences in actual specs of the engines and if that exists I'd like to.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 08-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
Elder

The aero head also uses sodium filled exhaust valves that and the turbo are all
Old 08-19-2013, 04:10 AM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaab View Post
The aero head also uses sodium filled exhaust valves that and the turbo are all
99lpt heads have Cheese soft exhaust valves. 2000's up went to nimonic coated like the aero's. Lately I've done a few 97-98 made 99model.year heads over & updated to the nimonic exhaust valves from the later cars. The early valve t7 heads have been a known problem since 2000. The sodium filled valves ended in 97 when t7 came along or 99 if you want to count the real t5 cars. & Yes 99 model year 95's were made as far back as 97. I have 95 no x000103 in my driveway, made back in 97 as a 1999 US model year.

From the WIKI WIKI WIKI

Nimonic is a registered trademark of Special Metals Corporation that refers to a family of nickel-based high-temperature low creep superalloys. Nimonic alloys typically consist of more than 50% nickel and 20% chromium with additives such as titanium and aluminium. The main use is in gas turbine components and extremely high performance reciprocating internal combustion engines. The Nimonic family of alloys was first developed in the 1940s by research teams at the Wiggin Works in Hereford, England, in support of the development of the Whittle jet engine

Last edited by Harvey's Autohaus; 08-19-2013 at 04:48 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
Elder

1999 Viggen press release 235 engine specs

Includes Sodium filled INTAKE valves and Nimonic exhsuat vavles...

http://www.motorsportsalmanac.com/ma.../RN_030420.pdf
Old 08-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Includes Sodium filled INTAKE valves and Nimonic exhsuat vavles...

http://www.motorsportsalmanac.com/ma.../RN_030420.pdf
From the press release

"To ensure that the valves live with the heat, intake valves are sodium filled and exhaust valves are made out of a special high-tech alloy called Nimonic. Nimonic is an alloy with very high nickel content making it extremely resistant to heat."

The press release says yes on the intakes. But no on the exhausts, But I will go drill an intake valve open just to check. I have quite a few around to verify with. In 2000 the Beltsville saab school clued me in on a few production changes. Like the end of sodium filled exhaust valves & the use of nimonic exhausts instead. Also that the early t7lpt heads had the Cheap standard valves, They also clued me in on the fact that GM made a few cost cuts. I'll go drill a few valves tomorrow to verify but I think GM scrapped those expensive sodium filled by 2000. I think the press release is a little misleading "Or just plain wrong" . The proof will be known tomorrow with the drill press. The test to confirm sodium filled or knot consists of a bucket of water & a valve with a hole drilled through the center. If it sizzles when it hits the water its sodium filled. If not, well then the info I got in 2000 was true. we'll just wait & see.

The press release info on the "Stronger pistons is obvious BS. Quite a few people can confirm that just from the cars service histories. I was re pistoning 99 viggen motors back in 2000 because they were so much stronger. Just like the press release says too. remember You can only buy what is sold to you.

Last edited by Harvey's Autohaus; 08-19-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
Elder

Well that'd be cool if you did that. I had to buy one intake before and it was expensive from Saab ( but exhaust was much more IIRC).

Yeah the pistons are forged ( harddend) but I think its the short skirt design that leads to bad ring landings that's teh issue there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey's Autohaus View Post
From the press release

"To ensure that the valves live with the heat, intake valves are sodium filled and exhaust valves are made out of a special high-tech alloy called Nimonic. Nimonic is an alloy with very high nickel content making it extremely resistant to heat."

The press release says yes on the intakes. But no on the exhausts, But I will go drill an intake valve open just to check. I have quite a few around to verify with. In 2000 the Beltsville saab school clued me in on a few production changes. Like the end of sodium filled exhaust valves & the use of nimonic exhausts instead. Also that the early t7lpt heads had the Cheap standard valves, They also clued me in on the fact that GM made a few cost cuts. I'll go drill a few valves tomorrow to verify but I think GM scrapped those expensive sodium filled by 2000. I think the press release is a little misleading "Or just plain wrong" . The proof will be known tomorrow with the drill press. The test to confirm sodium filled or knot consists of a bucket of water & a valve with a hole drilled through the center. If it sizzles when it hits the water its sodium filled. If not, well then the info I got in 2000 was true. we'll just wait & see.

The press release info in the "Stronger pistons is obvious BS. Quite a few people can confirm that just from the cars service histories. I was re pistoning 99 viggen motors back in 2000 because they were so much stronger. Just like the press release says too.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #9

Reinforced alloy pistons? Not forged, A genuine forged piston is actually forged. Not Cast. Like the saab stockers.

T7 pistons are not forged, never have been, Never were, T5 pistons, Also not forged are just a lot bigger, thicker etc, Both are just basic high silica content hypereutectic cast junk. More BS from the press release though like "Reinforced alloy pistons". Oh really? All this discussion is pretty cool though. I'm very curious to get to the bottom of the sodium valve question tomorrow. Maybe they are and I've just been under the wrong impression all this time. Wouldn't be the first time, But the pistons, I have worlds of experience with.

The short on pistons. Saab has been using cast hypereutectic since 79. If not earlier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq2z4gN8yZY

forged piston process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwBRi2Pjluk

Now the marvel in the saab is the crank, Genuinly forged, Very high quality steel.,

Last edited by Harvey's Autohaus; 08-19-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #10

So I grabbed a box of trashed left over valves from the last 97-98 made t7 head with the cheese exhaust valves I replaced, & a head from an o2 aero. The findings? No sodium filled anything, Nimonic 2000 & up for all intake & exhaust. I really didn't feel like scrapping any t5 stuff. The last valve I can guarantee was sodium filled I had was from my Turbo 8v from 20yrs ago. None of the valves tested today had that nice sizzle POP of a real sodium filled valve when drilled & dropped in a bucket of water. I made a vid, It really wasn't worth posting, Without the sizzle affect of a sodium reaction. it was just a vid of Goober dropping valves in a bucket of water. Not so Epic...

If you have a t7 head with a date code of 97-99 & you find this exhaust valve with 2 steps, Scrap it. Its not nimonicly coated & prone to failure, Tuned or not.

Junk early production throw it away valve on the far right. Not recommended for reuse,.

Last edited by Harvey's Autohaus; 08-21-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #11
Elder

Thanks for that very informative.

Looking at eeuroparts the $100 exhaust valves are for 9-5 Aero all and 2004+ Linear ARC and Aero

Also ALL 9-3 cars 1999-2003!

If that was the only difference in the 235r heads then you can jsut get those models heads for the beter valves
Old 08-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for that very informative.

Looking at eeuroparts the $100 exhaust valves are for 9-5 Aero all and 2004+ Linear ARC and Aero

Also ALL 9-3 cars 1999-2003!

If that was the only difference in the 235r heads then you can jsut get those models heads for the beter valves
I didn't mind trashing the 02 valves because Sean the machinist & I have Plans for that head. Think cosworth valves & solid lifters. We're kind of curious how far & fast the saab motor will spin? With enough cam, "Thank you Pat" Velocity, pressure & flow of nice cool charged boost, what's it going to do with an eaton & a holset in rwd form? I want at least 4 fuel pumps for this one... Stuff like that.

Last edited by Harvey's Autohaus; 08-21-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:00 AM   #13
SAABeginner

reviving an old thread.
Harvey, should the Nimonic valves be lapped?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in