Aftermarket radio install?? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
TSLMember

Aftermarket radio install??

Hey folks,
I have a weird issue. I bought a 9-5 with a missing radio. Heard the dealer would need to connect a junkyard radio, so I went for a aftermarket radio. I bought a harness adapter on ebay for like $5 so I didn't have to mess with the car harness. I get the radio installed and I get absolutely no sound.
The radio appears to be working, the equalizer is showing that it is transmitting my local radio station. I also tried a cd, appears to play but not so much as a peep from the speakers. No static, nothing. I have a similar radio in another car, so I pulled it and tried it in the saab. Same results. So now I am confused. My speakers are stock and all there. Radio appears to work. Is there something I need to do to the car to allow the radio to work?? It is just a radio? Why did saab make this so stupid? I hear the security system is linked to the factory radio. Maybe not removing the original right did something to lock out the sound system? Anyone have any ideas?? Please???? I don't want to run wiring to the speakers if I don't have to, but I'm not above it!!!
Thank you
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2013, 06:04 AM   #2
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
The stock system is amplified.

You need to build a cable to take the aftermarket head units pre-outs and adapt them to the factory amplifiers.

Angry Kitchen Appliances: Saab 9-5 Audio FAQ
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #3
TSLMember

When I pulled a radio from a scrap donor car for my '01 9-5 I had to have the donor vehicles vin#, take it to the dealer, and have them "marry" the radio to my car. They charged me half an hour's labor too..

This aftermarket build thread from a different saab forum might offer some insight, as this guy went with an aftermarket unit as well.

Aftermarket audio head unit installation - Saab 9-5

Hope this helps.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
TSLMember

Thanks for all the info. Looks like I am missing the bracket that held the factory radio in. I bought the car with no radio. I looked at the links and looks like a project. I may go to my local salvage yard and see if I can get a factory setup and go to saab and have it linked up
I was trying to install a used aftermarket, looks like it isn't worth all of this for a cheap radio! I appreciate your input!
Old 08-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
TSLMember

OK , figured it out, this is way more simple than people want you to think. So I got a saab radio harness adapter on ebay for like $5. Wired it to my radio. Didn't realize the car has an amp built in. No sound due to amp not being powered up. I didn't connect amp wires as I didn't think it had one. So connect the amp and amp remote wires, and boom! Got music all around. No fancy harnesses, no going to saab. I just have a simple FM. CD player, and I need to get the double to single radio kit to mount it all in the dash right. The one issue in how I wired it is that the steering wheel controls don't work this way. For me, I could care less, the car is 12 yrs old and I am fully capable of reaching all the way to the center of the dash. If I get lazy my radio has a remote, lol. So this big complicated wiring of the saab radio, is actually very easy. I will be into it an aftermarket radio and about $20 for the install kit and plug from ebay.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
So how did you plug the factory amp into the aftermarket headunit?
Old 08-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #7
TSLMember

The radio adapter plug that I bought had the additional 2 wires ( blue and blue w/ white stripe) for the amp. The radio also had the matching wires. So I didn't have to do anything to the original car harness plug. Just wire my plug up and it works fine. The only issue it has is the amp pops when you first turn on radio, and I saw a fix for that in one of the links attached above, I will want to do it. Otherwise it was pretty cool. The plug harness adapter cost $5.95 on ebay, thought it was $5. Anyhow, that plug wired directly to my Sony aftermarket stereo, color codes were exact to my radio. I guess they are colored universally now? It is nice and clean. There is the option to use the amp audio outputs for the speaker wires going into the car, I didn't go that way. My radio is wired with the actual speaker wires into the plug adapter. I saw one of those harnesses in a link earlier and freaked out, looks like a mess. This way it is nice and clean. Just 1 harness from radio to harness about 10 inches long. I am very happy with it. All my speakers work and sound great. I just don't have the function of the steering wheel controls. That is possible with more wiring. I think that part is what consists of so much wiring, making the harness look scary. I just want tunes. Not a job getting them, so this way it is nice and simple, about a dozen butt connectors and off you go! No tapping into other harnesses or anything, just plug and go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in