misfire mystery - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
SAABeginner

misfire mystery

2006 saab 95 2.3t i have replaced the direct ignition twice in the past month. the spark plugs. cleaned the fuel injectors.new air filter. cleaned the mass air flow censor. the car still misfires. usually only cylinder 4. it only happens when i try and take off quick, or when im cruising at 70 and try and down shift to a lower gear, and gas it. the car misfires and loses power. if i drive like an old woman, the car runs fine. any ideas?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
Elder

Check your vacuum hoses and turbo bypass valve
Old 08-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
Avid TSL User

Well having a similar issue with my new to me 06 9 5, but only every once iin a while. Has the tbv or vac hoses solved your problem?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 08-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
SAABeginner

i just bought the tbv. going to put it in this afternoon. i bought 4 plugs just incase too
Old 08-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
Avid TSL User

keep us updated, thanks
Old 08-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocket06 View Post
i just bought the tbv. going to put it in this afternoon. i bought 4 plugs just incase too
And did you buythe RIGHT plugs? Only NGK BCPR7ES ( or PLATINUM not Irruidium type)

Did you buy one of the conterfiet DI cassettes that are allover the palce once saab died?
Old 08-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

Is the Di Cassette from eeuroparts.com a good one?
Old 08-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Anytime I've had issues with an automatic misfiring, it was due to a faulty throttle position sensor.

that being said, it's possible you have a vacuum leak. check the line coming from the back of your TB towards the firewall, the fuel pressure regulator hose, and the solenoid for the bypass valve. they're all rubber hoses from the factory, and get brittle over time.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greentime70 View Post
Is the Di Cassette from eeuroparts.com a good one?
No the proparts one is a chinese knock off, about half are dead withing a year, get a OEM saab one....

But yes before you spend $$ check all the vacuum hoses
Old 08-08-2013, 05:52 AM   #10
SAABeginner

well i changed the bypass valve. no luck there. i have not found a leak. ive searched high and low. as soon as the turbo gauge touches the very exact edge of the red zone, the engine misfires/fuel pump gets cut off. i can drive as fast as i want, i just have top make sure the gauge needle never touches the red.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:53 AM   #11
SAABeginner

so that means the sport button, or manual shifting or having any kind of real power or fun is being cut.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #12
SAABeginner

but yes i have the right plugs. and the right DI. everything works correctly untill that needle leaves the white zone. same place everytime.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #13
SAABeginner

i placed some scotch tape on the wastegate to see if it would rip or tear when the wastegate opens. the tape never tore. so i am pretty sure that the wastegate just isn't working. so it is over boosting and the the fuel pump is being shutoff by the emergency shutoff. the check engine light only flashes when it has misfired repeatedly if i stay on the gas. i'm going to check a few other things before i go and try to tackle the waste gate. considering saab doesn't sell it separately.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #14
SAABeginner

i had a 1995 saab 900 a few years ago. it ran great. never had a problem. this 06 is one thing after another.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #15
SAABeginner

Had the same issue -- vacuum assist brake leak

I had the same issue last month. The mechanic traced the hoses and found the brake vacuum assist hose had a crack hidden under the rubber connection cover between the hoses leading to the throttle body. Cost me $170 in time and they used crazy glue and epoxy to seal the hose since getting a new one is a day or two and I was out of the country at the time.

He showed me the location of the leak and said very often the harder hoses (like these which are made of a material like a fuel delivery hose) will snap at their custom connections over time and the engine has quite of few of these connections. Replacing hoses is best and I'm planning on ordering up the parts and replacing them -- currently I still see random misfires but not engine disability as before the repair. The error code was in the 1200's I believe when the hose failed but I've forgotten which one now.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #16
TSLMember

If waste gate doesnot open to much pressure will cut fuel pump and ignition this is the way there set up to prevnt engin damage from overbooste fix waste gate issue will stopp misefires .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2006, saab 9-5 misfire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in