2001 9-5 turbo seals? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2013, 05:04 AM   #1
TSLMember

2001 9-5 turbo seals?

Anybody have any luck replacing turbo shaft seals? My turbo is working fine but when I start the car and when I coast and get back on it I get a cloud of blue smoke. I do have some oil in the intake pipes so I am assuming its not valve stem seals.
The car has about 230K on it. Not sure if engine or turbo is original. Runs solid otherwise.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 05:50 AM   #2

I'd just find a TD04HL-14T from an Aero, a Viggen or an 00-02 9-3 SE and rebuild that. As long as you keep the proper orientation of the wheels it doesn't need rebalancing.

Then just swap it in with the proper lines.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
TSLMember

There's no way to rebuild the one I have? It seems to be working fine, has good boost, not making any weird noises. Just getting oil in the intake.
It is weird that it smokes when you let off the gas, and it does it most after you have made it boost up, and let right off. Makes a good cloud of blue smoke. Get back on it and it clears up. I would think it would smoke when boosting as it is pushing so much thru the inter-cooler. Just seems weird.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #4

You can rebuild it, but you'd be rebuilding a turbo that's not great to begin with.

Also...for any early 9-5, a failing turbo also means you probably should do the sludge check drill
Old 06-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
TSLMember

Oh so the turbo mentioned earlier will fit and is a better one?
I already did the pan drop. Screen was partially plugged up. Cleaned everything, resealed pan, filled with synthetic and a new filter.
So the turbo (TD04HL-14T) is the better one to go for?
Old 06-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #6

Before replacing/rebuilding the turbo, check to see whether the car has had the updated PCV components installed. Search the forum for "9-5 PCV update"

The Mitsu 14T is a better turbo, but you likely need different oil and coolant lines.

The GT17 (IIRC) that you have is rebuildable; search for "Garrett GT17 rebuild kit" ...
Old 07-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
TSLMember

Sorry for the long delay in response, had a lot goin on. So I did some research on the PCV upgrade and it seems there is a lot of positive info on doing it, but then a little saying the original system working properly is OK. So I took a look at my car. I don't think it ever had ANY upgrade at all. I think it is completely original. So Here is my situation. My car has over 230K on it. I dropped the pan when I got it, cleaned the sludgy oil sump, cleaned pan, reinstalled. Runs awesome. Aside from smoke. Which I assumed was the turbo until I learned of this pcv upgrade. So now I ask myself, take the chance on the pcv kit? Or replace my original pcv valve and go for the turbo? At this point I am not worried about sludge. I cleaned it and have great oil in it and will maintain it. But at this point in the cars life is it worth going for the pcv kit? It made it this far. Just wondering if it is a waste of $100. I wouldn't be surprised if the turbo is original. Maybe not, but just sort of in the middle here on what to do. It is my daughters car, she doesn't have a lot of money to put into it and I don't want to put something into it that it doesn't need. Does a failing pcv system make the turbo suck oil? I clearly have oil in the boost side of the turbo system, and the smoking is getting more and more obvious. Weird the turbo could be that bad and not detonate but it could be possible. My career has been in heavy duty diesel trucks, and when a turbo fails in those it is usually violent and painfully obvious what happened. This gas engine turbo Saab makes me scratch my head. Maybe the best thing to do is both the turbo rebuild and the pcv kit? Anybody have any smoke from the pcv failure? One thing I will say, the car uses oil. It is plain to see. It also has a few leaks that the pcv kit may cure.
Thanks for the advise and info. I do appreciate it. I am going to HAVE to do something in the next couple weeks. I don't dare let it go much longer. I think I am already pushing my luck if in fact the turbo is getting ready to give up. Luckily the car gets low miles, a lot of in town 35mph max. For now it may be saving it?
Old 07-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
Elder

Welcome!

First thing I'd do is take off the downpipe and check the turbine side for play, that's free.

How's the engine compression? If it were me and the engine's good I'd spend the money on the PCV update and fix or swap the turbo if it needs it. I just took apart a B235R from a Viggen with 176k miles on it and could still see the hatching.

Oh, and Mike was a little off. The upgrade that he's suggesting would actually be a Mitsubishi TD04HL-15T. That's the version that came on the higher performance B235R variants but the engine itself was the same, so that's a nice little upgrade you could do for not a lot of money. The TD04's are good turbos IMO.

I'd check G-Pop for the kit if you want to try to just rebuild what you have.

Last edited by Drew in Houston; 07-03-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #9
TSLMember

OK, I will check it over this weekend. I appreciate the info. I haven't checked the compression as of yet but that will get done. The engine seems to run really strong and it is quiet, not odd noises etc. She has some miles but I think it is still pretty solid. Seems like with a turbo(if needed) and the pcv kit I should be able to run this a long time. I will post what I find out this weekend. Thanks again!
Old 07-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
TSLMember

Hi,
Turns out my turbo is just fine. Need the PCV update. Unhook the PCV tubing, works perfectly with no smoke.
Wonder how many people replaced a turbo for nothing before getting that mess figured out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in