2001 saab 9-5 with 3.0 6 cylinder codes p1303,p0300 and p0303 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
SAABeginner

2001 saab 9-5 with 3.0 6 cylinder codes p1303,p0300 and p0303

Hi. These codes came up after my car started skipping, jumping, stalling, popping, hopping, and simply running poorly the other day. It ran like i had bad gas or something. When they took the manifold off they had found oil in the sparkplug tubes. Also they replaced ther valve cover gaskets, the sparkplugs, and cleaned the complete intake and throttle body area with carbon cleaner and rags. After they put it all back together the car doesnt want to start now. The battery is dead after trying to start it over and over. Keep charging it and the batt keeps dying at each attempt to start it. The car almost starts. It gets so close. Its right there and it just wont finish starting. And then of course the batt dies again. This is a confusing issue. Hope someone can help. (ordered di cassettes yesterday-3 to 7 days for delivery) But it at least was running before the work got done to it. Whats wrong now i wonder?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
Elder

Try DI first, most likely your problem. Are you using only the correct NGK plugs? If this just came up lately did you put in the wrong plugs recently?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
SAABeginner

No sir, I've never installed plugs until yesterday since buying car 4 months ago. The ones that came out were some regular cheapies though. They looked to be old. I ordered the ngk's though. BKR7es11's are the ones that will be here when i get the di's in 2 to 6 more days. I put some autolites in there for now. The ones the autolite website and the big book at the store said to use for the year and engine type. (2001, v6, 3.0ltr) Had to put something in there for now because the spark[lug tubes were full to the top with oil. Hence the valve cover gasket install yesterday. But right now im just waiting for those STANDARD brand di cassettes at $190 each and the ngk's to get here because Im not sure what else I can do at this point. That battery was weak as ever the last 2 months. The sp tubes were full of oil. The whole motor under there and all around it has oil from a serious valve cover oil leakage issue. One of the plug ins at the di was somewhat oily. I cleaned all the carbon off intake and lower intake w throttle body cleaner for a couple hrs with a tooth brush type metal scrub brush, replaced valve cover gaskets and cleaned all the oil off of the motor everywhere I could reach, put new upper manifold intake gasket on, swapped plugs with those recommended out of the stores book autolites, drained the oil out of the sparkplug tubes and cleaned all tubes well, gapped new plugs at 40, and charged battery full but it wouldnt start all the way. It wants to, its right there, it just wont quite start up. I dont get it. At least it was starting before even though it was running rough. I have to keep charging the battery now every time I go to try to start it again.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
Elder

These cars don;t do well with a bad battery it can cause all types of issues, thats needed first. THe DI can be good but a bad battery can casue the DI to work improperly.

Autolites are the worst plugs for these cars they will destroy your DI as soon as you run it. So dont use them in there. Also, never use a conterfiet DI ( Standard brand is a CHinese Knock off, only use the SEM ( Saab ) brand. all others so not work properly and will kill your engine
Old 05-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
SAABeginner

well,learned a lot from that thread. Thanks! I have run those autolites for exactly 3 miles then i parked it. Did the valve gaskets, intake gasket, intake major cleaning, and havent run it a mile since. So I hope those 3 miles w autolites didnt kill the di's that are currently in there. I havent got the standards yet. They come Tues or Wed. I checked the di's though today. All 6 had spark! Dont forget two of the three on the back set of di's have a crack in the black plastic tubes that cover the coils and touch the top of the sparkplugs. The black tubes with that spring in them. Theres a vertical crack from the top to the bottom of two of those. I wrapped black electrical tape around them. Ha! Not sure why but I did and all 6 of em had a spark in the tipm of the sparkplugs with the jumper wire from plugs to negative on batt. Thanks for the continued support and advice and INFO! A lot, thanks a lot. I need as much as I can get!
Old 05-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
Elder

The fact that the DI will spark does not mean they are working corrrectly, the DI also reads knock, actually more importanly than sparking...

DIs do soudn bad but you MUST use the proper NGK plugs when your new fake units come, then get SEM units after they atart acting up
Old 05-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
SAABeginner

lol. Yea, i understand. Di's from China, Im def worried. But what can I do now? I dont think theyre going to give my money back. So i might be kinda stuck w em. Sucks. But yea, I def have the new ngk's coming. Again, theyre the BKR7ES-11 ngk plugs. Those and the cassettes should be the last thing I need to get it back to running as good as it was?? The insides where the valve cover gaskets got replaced were so clean. Not even a tiny bit of sludge, no discoloring or nastiness of any type. Just super clean motor in that part of it. The previous owner said his wife was the driver and that he had changed her oil religiously at the 5k mark with synthetic. Prob for the whole 7 years they owned it he did the maintenance on time then I bought it w 138k. It has 147k now. It figures 3 months after they sold it the big repairs started coming. Valve cover gasket job, DI cassettes, battery is shot, carbon was built up pretty bad. Guess they sold it right on time. How many miles can these cars last ya think? Im just hoping the car gets back to normal after di's and ngk's get here. I guess i'll grab a battery as well. Any particular batt these 3.0 6cyl's need too? Still thankful for the help and the information, a lot!!! Thanks!

Last edited by jazzstar; 05-26-2013 at 09:31 PM. Reason: grammer/spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in