Bought a 2000 9-5 Aero Wagon! - Page 31 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2016, 01:02 PM   #601
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSW View Post
A diy/tutorial would be sweet
The killer here, is that it's not incredibly difficult.
It's just removing a TON of stuff.

I'm happy to hear that you're repairing it.
it'll allow you to enjoy it a little longer, AND help the resale.
Don't forget subframe bushings while it's apart!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2016, 06:25 AM   #602
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

The suspension was overhauled front to back Craig, it has poly sub bushings already!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-21-2016, 11:02 AM   #603
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Sooooooooooooooooooo. I swapped my transmission over the weekend with the help of Mike D and the use of the lift at Finch Welding and Fabrication.

I took basically no pictures because it was a bitch. So the car now has a working transmission with new: flywheel, clutch/pp, slave cyl, rear engine mount, F+R main seals, oil pressure switch and axle seals. The new transmission came from my girlfriends old white 1999 9-5 that got wrecked in our driveway, so I knew it was a good unit.

Biggest problem is that the 1999 transmission I had wouldn't fit without the 1999 only mounting bracket. I didn't realize that the 1999 transmission didn't have the bolt holes for the newer transmission mount until I went to install it, /facepalm. So we started calling around and Steve Snow from Maine had a gearbox he would sell me. Also turns out he had the 1999 bracket I needed! So after 3 hours in the car, we were ready to install the new transmission.

It went back together without much struggle and it drives quite good. Weird things though. I am now getting 2mpg better and the starter is half as loud as it used to be. The new transmission is quiet and shifts into all gears! Big improvement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:23 AM   #604
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Glad to hear it all worked out. The early 9-5 had different gearsets, I guess. It's possible you got taller/shorter gears and aren't actually getting better mpg.

So... did you use the 99 or newer trans??
Old 11-21-2016, 04:45 PM   #605
Drew In Houston
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
Glad to hear it all worked out. The early 9-5 had different gearsets, I guess. It's possible you got taller/shorter gears and aren't actually getting better mpg.

So... did you use the 99 or newer trans??

Actually, the MPG increase might be real.

I'm pretty sure the speed signal comes from the wheel speed ABS/TC, and I *think* combined with injector duty cycle (I never chased it down but it always looked to me like it was figured in, in addition-to or maybe instead-of tank level).

What final drive was it?

Last edited by Trionic3000; 11-21-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:48 PM   #606
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Both transmissions have a 4.05 final drive ratio and I think all 9-5's have the same 1-5 ratios. As far as I can tell, both gearboxes have the same ratios. My old trans was making a lot of differential noise as well, maybe a little added friction? Idk...

I'll grab the part number from the 1999.

Quote:
Old 11-21-2016, 04:58 PM   #607
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Pretty sure I replaced my original FM55B05 with an FM55B01. Should be the same. I am also under the impression that the guts of the B01 have been updated because it has none of the issues the 99-01 gearboxes have.

Quote:
Old 11-29-2016, 06:58 AM   #608
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Back in winter mode. Pretty lame setup this year! 16" BBS 7 spokes and Blizzak WS80s. A fresh alignment and a little wash, back in business. Drove 500 miles this weekend up into the woods of Maine.

Quote:
Old 11-29-2016, 05:19 PM   #609
Drew In Houston
Elder

What's lame about that? Seems like a pretty nice setup to me. You'r wagon's looking good, I think you made a good decision.

I just bought some Conti Wintercontact SI's for the lady's vehicle that should arrive this week, I'm excited to see how they're going to be.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:19 AM   #610
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trionic3000 View Post
What's lame about that? Seems like a pretty nice setup to me. You'r wagon's looking good, I think you made a good decision.

I just bought some Conti Wintercontact SI's for the lady's vehicle that should arrive this week, I'm excited to see how they're going to be.
Ha I know, I just liked how it looked on 17" snows previously. It certainly rides a lot nicer on 16" tires than the summer 18 inchers. Handling is down though haha.

I did notice this is the first snow tire that makes a good amount of noise on wet roads. They screech as you accelerate or once you reach like 60mph. At first I was freaking out that it was the new gearbox, but the noise is hilariously in "stereo" if you know what I mean. They are quiet on dry roads.

I am also finally figuring out what I will do with the Hirsch spoiler I have. I will end up painting it myself and just buffing the shit out of it. Anyone ever use that 3M VHB double sided tape to secure something like this?

Quote:
Old 11-30-2016, 05:22 AM   #611
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
Ha I know, I just liked how it looked on 17" snows previously. It certainly rides a lot nicer on 16" tires than the summer 18 inchers. Handling is down though haha.

I did notice this is the first snow tire that makes a good amount of noise on wet roads. They screech as you accelerate or once you reach like 60mph. At first I was freaking out that it was the new gearbox, but the noise is hilariously in "stereo" if you know what I mean. They are quiet on dry roads.
Double-check that toe!

Mine drives fine dry, but once it's wet, there's a clear (and audible) battle over which direction to go. I haven't been able to work on the sedan because of this stupid truck.. but the bushings will all get replaced and aligned shortly.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:29 AM   #612
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
Double-check that toe!

Mine drives fine dry, but once it's wet, there's a clear (and audible) battle over which direction to go. I haven't been able to work on the sedan because of this stupid truck.. but the bushings will all get replaced and aligned shortly.
I just had it aligned by a Saab 9-5 owner just after I put these tires on. I have never heard anything like it before and its only on certain texture roads and only when the road it totally wet, but not raining hard. Everything in this suspension is less than a year old at this point as well.

Quote:
Old 11-30-2016, 04:34 PM   #613
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Don't call it a Hirsch spoiler it's a replica of the original SAAB one.

There should be two holes on each end for mounting. One hole is really easy up in the hatch, there is a plug covering where that goes. The other is a bit sketchy as it's pretty near the outer edge and through a couple layers of metal. I would at least do the easy one and some double sided tape?

I have some little plastic template things made for mounting spoilers and shit. There's little prongs that go into the holes on the spoiler to hold them in place, then you can position spoiler on car, tape the templates in place, then pull the spoiler off and the templates stay. There is a hole in the prong for you to drill a pilot hole. Viola. Let me know if you want them. I could drop them in the mail for you (or you could drive the Yota up north this weekend for some wheeling).
Old 01-05-2017, 09:35 AM   #614
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Well, just broke 135k miles. Still a baby. Nothing to report other than consistent reliability. I would like to rebuild the e-brake eventually. Anyone have any tips?

Quote:
Old 01-23-2017, 06:19 AM   #615
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Car got a very thorough wash after doing a lot of winter driving up through VT and ME. Felt bad I left it covered in salt for a week while I was in Iceland.

Quote:
Old 01-23-2017, 12:35 PM   #616
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to caseysturrup
Looks good !
Old 01-23-2017, 01:00 PM   #617
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Looks great! Although a little funny with the little wheels. Glad you are putting them to use though. My wagon is filthy. I keep pretending the weekly rain/snow/mix events we get will rinse some of the grime away, only to remember they pummel the roads with salt and brine and shit every time the weather rolls through
Old 01-29-2017, 03:57 PM   #618
Elder

Needs bigger pics!!!
Old 02-01-2017, 02:44 PM   #619
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaab View Post
Needs bigger pics!!!
I agree
for your repair needs
Old 02-02-2017, 05:20 AM   #620
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaab View Post
Needs bigger pics!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsSide42 View Post
I agree
Trying to give the peeps the FULL HD 10K IMAX EXPERIENCE

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in