Leaking green fluid * VIDEO* - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Leaking green fluid * VIDEO*

Any ideas what this could be? coolant is about the same level as always
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 06:05 AM   #2

It's coolant. Now the fun part is finding out where it's coming from.

Wash the engine, let it dry and then run it to operating temp for a few minutes to open up the thermostat and start circulating coolant.

If you're lucky, it's a loose hose clamp.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

A little update so today i looked under and there is a little more, its oily not watery i turned my wheel a few times left and right then turned my car off and a bunch of it started to drop out a good 15 drips then it stopped.

This is what i found today

Left side is power steering fluid i took off the dip stick, on the Right side is some of the green fluid i got from under the sub frame it is not actually green but yellowish..

this part has way more fluid building up in this exact spot ( right above the turbo inlet pipe)

Last edited by Saab95Aero; 04-08-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #4

Coolant feels greasy to the touch.

If you want to be sure, taste it. It should taste faintly sweet.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
drink up!!!!

kidding!

Water pump sits right under the PS pump.
It's possible that the PS pump is leaking, but much more likely that the water pump is leaking, or at least weeping. Although, my 9-5 PS pump just gave up the ghost, at 165k.
Surprisingly, small amounts of engine coolant feel slimy, and PS fluid does not.
Neither will kill you if you tase 'em, but don't do more than a dab.

The good news is that if either is failing, it's not more than removing/re-insalling a handful of bolts to replace, and is a great way to build your shadetree mechanic skills. You'd just need about an hour for the PS pump, and about 2 for the water pump, since it's burried a little.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
drink up!!!!

kidding!

Water pump sits right under the PS pump.
It's possible that the PS pump is leaking, but much more likely that the water pump is leaking, or at least weeping. Although, my 9-5 PS pump just gave up the ghost, at 165k.
Surprisingly, small amounts of engine coolant feel slimy, and PS fluid does not.
Neither will kill you if you tase 'em, but don't do more than a dab.

The good news is that if either is failing, it's not more than removing/re-insalling a handful of bolts to replace, and is a great way to build your shadetree mechanic skills. You'd just need about an hour for the PS pump, and about 2 for the water pump, since it's burried a little.
Okay so i lifted up the car and had a really good look i came to the conclusion its coolant and its most likely coming from the water pump, the pump made no abnormal sounds or anything car still runs fine but its dripping coolant poured in about a cup full today

Would me changing to a stage 3 tune and over sized filter make a difference or do you think one of the seals just failed in the pump?

What exactly do i need to install the pump is there a list of all the parts? how about liqid gasket?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Saab95Aero; 04-08-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Nope. Aside from new coolant, the o-rings and the correct torx for the water pump, you won't need anything special. In fact, I think you only need the 18 and 16mm for the motor mount, the 13mm for the ps pump, intake bracket and water pump. 10mm for the bpv return and coolant return stays, (and the grounds on the thermostat if you change it) and the torx to take the water pump apart.

Think most people would recommend new hoses if you have never replaced them. There's a couple short ones one the passenger side, and a longer one on the drivers. I guess, if it were me, I'd replace or remove the coolant bypass valve. (I'd remove it)
Old 04-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
Nope. Aside from new coolant, the o-rings and the correct torx for the water pump, you won't need anything special. In fact, I think you only need the 18 and 16mm for the motor mount, the 13mm for the ps pump, intake bracket and water pump. 10mm for the bpv return and coolant return stays, (and the grounds on the thermostat if you change it) and the torx to take the water pump apart.

Think most people would recommend new hoses if you have never replaced them. There's a couple short ones one the passenger side, and a longer one on the drivers. I guess, if it were me, I'd replace or remove the coolant bypass valve. (I'd remove it)

What torx is it? i have a 205 piece socket set with a few different size torx will that most likely have it? what do you mean by the grounds on the thermostat? is the thermostat hard to do? i'm guessing its not to hard any special tools or is there e gasket for that also?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in