missing trim in wheel wells? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
missing trim in wheel wells?

So, since the wagon's been painted, I noticed that all along the inside of the arch, there are these rectangular "tabs" that stick out from the inside of the wheel well (towards the tire) It's not touching the tires, and doesn't scrape, but it looks unfinished.

I can't, for the life of me, remember what piece was there, or if there even was one. I sort of remember a push-on strip, but looking on eeuro shows nothing. Any help, gentlemen?

I tried to google a picture, but nothing came up. I'll try to get one tonight.

Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I know what your talking about i pulled mine off i plastic trim strip goes there but it catches sand salt so i just yanked them of my 02 & 01 9-5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 saab 9-5 JZW STAGE 5
2001viggen 5 door
2000 saab 9-3 vert jzw stage 5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sold parted out
1972 nova 396 BB

2008 LINCOLN MKX ELITE

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
SAAB Road Master

It's the last two parts listed on the page, part 13 in the diagram. One is the right, the other the left.

Hood, front, fenders, Wheel arch liner. Fits: Saab | Jim Ellis Saab Parts

|

Old 04-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

those wheel strips are actually supposed to help against corrosion from rock chips etc. that will start and premote rust.

especially down by the dog legs.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
awesome! thanks!
are they just snap-on strips?
Old 04-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
my wagon had them all along and still rusted out like hell on the dog legs. When I was cleaning up the dog legs and rear quarter I pulled them off and bent the tabs back to make sure they wouldn't hit the tire. Looks a lot better without them.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #7

they are just snap on strips, I would keep them intact with the car. they will protect your quarters esp if you do a lot of highway driving or on gravel.

If you properly wash and irigate those areas you shouldnt have any issues with build up and promotion of rust.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:44 AM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
If you properly wash and irigate those areas you shouldnt have any issues with build up and promotion of rust.
Haha, I think my wagon was lacking some serious "irrigation".

This is what the driver's side looked like behind the dog leg, under the side skirt (after I had done some grinding to remove the flaking paint and surface rust).

Again, this car had the "trim strips" its entire life up until this point. 180k mile VT/NH car.

I'm not doubting the strips were meant to serve a purpose and help prevent rust and what not, but I've seen way too many 9-5's with rusted out dog legs (I'd say 4 out of 5). This summer I plan to clean up the under/backside of my wheel wells really well and POR15 them then cover them with some sort of bed liner coating.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #9

they don't protect the dog leg just the inner and underside of the fenders, if you have rocks flying up and chipping the paint on those lips it will start to rust and bubble the paint in those areas.
im sure they help a bit but the design of those dog legs sucks. the side skirt and inner fender liner traps everything in between there.
sadly carl, my wagon was worse than this. I had it professionally cut out and filled with fiberglass and blended with the paint. I will por15 over everything this summer as well.
Mine was way up the dog leg and even climbing up the door jam.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #10
Elder

luckily, I just had the car painted, so I'm not too worried about rust. I just don't like the unfinished look. Thanks! maybe I'll see about pulling some from a junkyard car. although, $50 for the pair isn't bad.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #11
Elder

I remember reading a few threads on TSN about them being a bitch to install/reinstall.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #12
Elder

That would surprise me. Looks like they'd just press on and I assume there are metal clips that "grab" the rectangular tabs.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #13
SAAB Road Master

Having just pulled mine off, they are just glued on with this nasty black tar-like substance. It feels like they might have a metal core, because if you bend them they stay in that position. I'm gonna order some rubber edge trim to finish off that inner edge I think.

|
Old 04-04-2013, 06:35 AM   #14

If you just had the car painted i would deff worry about rust, corrosion and paint chips.

i wouldnt pay for these, find a way to hide them in your tool box and backpack. deff not hard to do.
It's weird on my 02 sedan they had that glue substance, but my 03 wagon didn't. I think they came without it from the factory and dealers found they were starting to fall off and cemented them in.
they do have a metal band that runs inside of them to help form and fit .
I would stay away from cementing them in place and just finesse em in, that is what i did,they stay on and look great.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #15
Avid TSL User

had to delete mine when i fitted 245 rubbers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in