9-5 vs 9000 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

9-5 vs 9000

looking for some input.. i'm looking at a 2003 9-5 aero i currently have a 1996 9000 aero that i love just wondering if anyone has owned both of these cars and could tell me how they compare to each other.....i really love my 9k and she has a ton of personality i'm afraid i'm going to lose some of the soul with the 9-5...just want to know what you guys think
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

well the 9-5 is much newer and more refined, handles better stock, faster stock, much more comfortable. It's just a much better version of the 9000 in all aspects.

The only thing the 9000 has over it is that rare old car feel, and all its little quirks which i guess you can call its soul. The one and really only thing i missed about driving my 9000 when i had my aero sedan was the rear hatch and trunk space.

As far as a daily driver a 9-5 all day.

I personally still would take the right modded 9000 aero any day over a 9-5 aero sedan however for a daily.

ALSO 9-5s have a better tcs/esp system and a generally better in the snow, no tcs gremlins to deal with.

Last edited by bergie; 03-06-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
9-5 is a better car. But 9000 might be more special, more memorable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #4

I enjoy both. Daily use, I probably prefer the 9-5. 04 or 05 9-5 would be a better choice IMO. Lots of problems got sorted in 04 (pcv/sludge, acc, sid, after 04 blown engines are rare)
Old 03-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #5

Ditto to everything said above.

9-5 handles better, has a smoother ride, fewer electrical gremlins, more powarrrrrrrrhhh, and a nicer interior.

The main advantage to the 9000 is the bulletproof B234, although an 04+ 9-5 Aero that has been well maintained should still be a beast for many years
Old 03-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

I see more damaged B2X4 engines on the forums than B2X5. The 235's got a bad rap because somebody's uncle changed the oil in 20k increments. People know the limits of each motor, and rarely go over them. But I swear there are more randomly broken B234s.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
I see more damaged B2X4 engines on the forums than B2X5. The 235's got a bad rap because somebody's uncle changed the oil in 20k increments. People know the limits of each motor, and rarely go over them. But I swear there are more randomly broken B234s.
On this board and others, this observation is very true....But they're rarely broken at stock power.

Stock B235s used to pop from aggressive downshifts, or from the usual sludging ridiculousness -- all because of the weak sauce pistons not being able to handle the heat. Now, people know to change the MAF on Viggens and 9-5 Aeros as preventative maintenance, and to drop the pan before buying any of the 99-03 models.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #8

hmm really? i rarely ever see damaged 234s. I see tons, here and on the roads with 250k still chugging away, some with minor power upgrades.

If anything i see great running 234 motors in shitty rust eaten beat cars that sadly get junked for that reason.

205's and 235's you always see trashed, just search your local craigslist there will be a few on there.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
hmm really? i rarely ever see damaged 234s. I see tons, here and on the roads with 250k still chugging away, some with minor power upgrades.

If anything i see great running 234 motors in shitty rust eaten beat cars that sadly get junked for that reason.

205's and 235's you always see trashed, just search your local craigslist there will be a few on there.
I have a shitty rust-eaten beat 9-5 running on B234 powarrrr. Bought the car with a bad B235 at 130K miles. Now has 206K miles and counting....
Old 03-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
Elder

Very different answers to this 9000/9-5 quandary over on SAAB Central.

2000 Viggen 'vert
2000 9-5 Aero
1998 9000 CSE Turbo
1994 9000 Aero
Old 03-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety5Aero View Post
Very different answers to this 9000/9-5 quandary over on SAAB Central.
That Jaguar guy just got an atomic wedgie that might loosen him up a bit.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
That Jaguar guy just got an atomic wedgie that might loosen him up a bit.

ROFL. I'm tempted to chime in there about how awful the 9-5 is when compared to my awesome '83 Cadillac Cimarron.

'91 9000CD Turbo, Auto, Iridium Blue
'91 9000T, 5MT, Tally Red (No-Start Project)
'92 9000T, 5MT, Black
'04 9-5 Wagon, Auto, Nocturne Blue
Old 03-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
having a hatch in a 9000 is really nice, but these days every 9000 has a million miles on it, and the rust to match (atleast where i am) a 95 is better on fuel, and handles years better, and it faster stock for stock. and 02-03 aero seats i think are way more comfortable than 9000 aero seats.

yes the motors are weaker, But the transmissions are much, much stronger. in reality, which one would you rather have strong?

9-5s also have some minor serviceable parts to deal with as well. Mafs fail every 120k miles, and Sid displays loose pixels, also earlier 95s (pre 2002) seam to have more HVAC issues, but post 02 they were pretty well sorted.

i would argue with anybody, anywhere, anytime that a saab 9-5 is the best used car deal on the market today, aero trim or not

Last edited by mike d; 03-07-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #14
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Have to agree with mike about the 9000 Aero seats. I love my 9000 Aero, and I think the seats look awesome, they are nice on short drives. But IMHO, nothing beats standard 9000 seats for long drives, I think they are better than 9-5 seats even.

The other issue with 9000's is that they are older, and small electrical issues do seem to be the norm on the few I've owned. Although they have less that might break that NEEDS to be fixed for the car to run well/pass inspection. (At least in MA with OBD1 9000's) Downsides and upsides to both. I think it really depends on the owner and what is important to you. I prefer a 9000, but I'm also happy DD'ing a C900.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #15
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Also, given the prices you can find both cars for, they tend to be great values.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #16
SAABeginner

Had a '94 9k 5spd, loved it, a great car, have a 03 9-5 Aero now. Not a stick, first Saab in 20yrs w/o a stick... The 9-5 is more refined, its should be. Car for car the 9-5 is a better car but I will never say a bad word about my 9k! I hated them in 86 but after 92 they were ok. Have had 3 and if I could find a clean low mileage 98 9000, stick I would get one. The hatch makes the 9k what it is.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #17
Avid TSL User

honestly everyone has been very helpful...i looked into 3 9-5 aero's over the weekend and struck out on all three (yet to sit or drive one yet to get a feel)..maybe this is a sign so i fixed the leaking exhaust today (local muffler shop $120) plan on the down o2 sensor tomarrow and poss some new skins by the weekend ..putting $500 in a car that was supposed to be gone i only have the car listed on the saab forums (i can't let just anybody be the next care giver)

Last edited by saabfan9; 03-11-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #18
Avid TSL User

when it came time for my current 9k i had a low mile black cse but really wanted an aero, located one in nashville ..silver (i got this thing for black cars) the deal was teetering on another pending sale, the poor car was living under the trees so between bird shit and tree sap i had my work cut out but sorting everything over the years has really made me fall for her ..it is VERY hard to think about moving on but i'm thinking the time has come i'll tell you if i had to jump in the car and drive to florida tomarrow i wouldn't think twice the car is that good still!!..really the only bad thing on the car is the seats are worn (found factory replacement skins for $800 a seat and just cant do that)....again thanks for the input it seems to be split down the middle
Old 03-12-2013, 05:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabfan9 View Post
when it came time for my current 9k i had a low mile black cse but really wanted an aero, located one in nashville ..silver (i got this thing for black cars) the deal was teetering on another pending sale, the poor car was living under the trees so between bird shit and tree sap i had my work cut out but sorting everything over the years has really made me fall for her ..it is VERY hard to think about moving on but i'm thinking the time has come i'll tell you if i had to jump in the car and drive to florida tomarrow i wouldn't think twice the car is that good still!!..really the only bad thing on the car is the seats are worn (found factory replacement skins for $800 a seat and just cant do that)....again thanks for the input it seems to be split down the middle
Most people who have only owned 9000s or currently still drive them are absolutely, POSITIVELY sure that the 9000 is the best Saab ever made. The SaabCentral thread reinforces that...

Most people who have owned both are happy they've experienced both and can break down the individual plusses and minuses a bit more objectively.

It's a tough choice that really comes down to the individual and what you want from your car...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in