Prospective Saab owner - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Prospective Saab owner

Hello everyone. This is my first post to saablink. I'm interested in getting a circa 2000 9-5. I'm a college student and want to have it for my daily driver. I'm not new to cars, and I am very mechanically enclined. Had a tuned out crx, si, which was destroyed in a hit and run accident that happened to me. Survivng that, I thought it might be time to upgrade to a well safety engineered saab. Long story short I plan to go car shopping in a few weeks, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what to look for in a used 9-5. Any problems I should be on the lookout for? Any kind advise would be appreciated.

Thanks, from so-cal.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 04:27 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
Maintence is everything, a big stack of recites is worth extra money.

what is your price range? if your looking for cheaper ones, make sure they are not sludged, and that all the exhaust studs are in tackt. grindng into reverse are signs of failing gearboxes, on manual trans cars and excessive camber on the rear wheels is a sign the car was overloaded for a long period of time.

besides that, these are the best cheap car you will ever purchase
Old 03-02-2013, 04:27 AM   #3
Avid TSL User

Look for a 2001. Read over the faq'''s here and the repair guides here and on Saab World and Saab Central and you will get a good idea of what to look for. I would try and get a no rust zone car. You can find good 01's but you have to make sure they have the upgraded pcv system No. 6 and the oil pan has been dropped. Spend a few hours reading these sites and you know all you need to.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 03-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
SAABeginner

thanks!

Hi again, thanks for the info about the exhaust. My budget is going to be around 3 grand. I would love to have an aero if I can, but if not I'm fine with a standard. I really like the look of a 9-5 sedan, so that's what I'm shopping for. This will be my first saab, but not my first expierence with saab. My father used to have an 82 900 Turbo hatch, which ran like the devil when it did run. Rplacing clutches was a nightmare I remember. The main reason for me looking at a saab, was almost getting crushed to death in a 2 seat CRX, by a ford explorer. And I really don't want a volvo.

What would you say about the 9-5, as far as build quality and safety? Are 9-3's better? Thanks.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82 900 Turbo View Post
Hi again, thanks for the info about the exhaust. My budget is going to be around 3 grand. I would love to have an aero if I can, but if not I'm fine with a standard. I really like the look of a 9-5 sedan, so that's what I'm shopping for. This will be my first saab, but not my first expierence with saab. My father used to have an 82 900 Turbo hatch, which ran like the devil when it did run. Rplacing clutches was a nightmare I remember. The main reason for me looking at a saab, was almost getting crushed to death in a 2 seat CRX, by a ford explorer. And I really don't want a volvo.

What would you say about the 9-5, as far as build quality and safety? Are 9-3's better? Thanks.
Nope, I would rate the 9-5 better in both regards.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
SAABeginner

Trollhatten power! Yea, family had an 82 900 Turbo, and a 85 900 non turbo. Once read a person got hit by a train in their 9-5 and survived. But I certainly think my small honda days are numbered.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
Nope, I would rate the 9-5 better in both regards.
Ditto.

9-5 is far more substantial and handles better.

with your budget, you might find a 2000-2001 Aero that's not too beat up. Finding one in So-Cal might be a challenge.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
SAABeginner

Your right, it seems so. For my budget a ton of 9-5 wagons and older 900 hatches come up. They all seem to have around 130k miles. Not sure if thats when they start to have problems or what, but that seems to be what im finding so far. Many convertible 9-5's too with top problems. I watched on "Wheeler Dealers" that the firewall for the 9-5 convertibles would crack around the steering shaft, also they all seem to have top problems (doesnt go up or down). Although probably the most beautiful of the 9-5's a convertible is out for me.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Your right, it seems so. For my budget a ton of 9-5 wagons and older 900 hatches come up. They all seem to have around 130k miles. Not sure if thats when they start to have problems or what, but that seems to be what im finding so far. Many convertible 9-5's too with top problems. I watched on "Wheeler Dealers" that the firewall for the 9-5 convertibles would crack around the steering shaft, also they all seem to have top problems (doesnt go up or down). Although probably the most beautiful of the 9-5's a convertible is out for me.
There are no convertible 9-5s. You mean the 9-3, and the firewall problem was only a issue with right-hand drive cars in the UK and Australia. North American and Euro cars were totally fine.

You won't find many under 120-130K with your budget...

EDIT: wait....here's your car...http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...654422301.html

...This looks like an Aero, but probably with crazy high miles.: http://ventura.craigslist.org/ctd/3559992949.html

Last edited by mike saunders; 03-02-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Trollhatten power! Yea, family had an 82 900 Turbo, and a 85 900 non turbo. Once read a person got hit by a train in their 9-5 and survived. But I certainly think my small honda days are numbered.

I grew up in an '87 CRX SI. Love it...but cannot imagine it being my DD today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
Ditto.

9-5 is far more substantial and handles better.

with your budget, you might find a 2000-2001 Aero that's not too beat up. Finding one in So-Cal might be a challenge.
As shown before, I scored my cousin an awesome deal on this '00 Aero.

It was over two years ago, had 106k, came with an extra set of Saab 16's and nearly new snows. I got it wholesale at $3200 out the door with tax. The only downer was it was an AUTO but that is what he wanted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #11
SAABeginner

@ Mike. Awesome. Yes your absolutely right they are 9-3's my bad. Personally on looks alone they outrank any BMW 3, convertible. And I did not know that about the firewall, good to hear. Yea an Aero is what i really want. Here in Cali, people drive like shit, and you really need power to get around idiots who cant get on the freeway, or things like chain link fenses that have fallen off of trucks. Almost hit a fence in my CRX, and had to swerve onto the emergency shoulder real quick to avoid a truck that hit it, and stopped smack in the middle of the fast lane. Turbo power sounds real good with that in mind. The little 1.6 in my honda really did not have much torque at all.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #12
SAABeginner

@ Jameson. Good links! love that red Aero, my mouths watering. But yea im trying to find as close to 130k or lower as possible. But that is a beauty!. 87 you say? Those were awesome little cars. I loved mine. Mine was a 91 SI, red with all factory options, 5 speed. I rebuilt the trans, with carbon synchros, new axels, ZC japanese swap with more aggressive cam, and iridium denso plugs. Ran like a top until someone pit me on my right side and spun me into the guard barrier. . That whole experience really shows you how small older cars like that can really be taken out by something much larger. Hence thats why im here lookin at a saab. Volvos are interesting, but the saabs my family had always had much more personality and style.

That is a lovely Blue Aero. How many miles? Where did he find those rims? Those cant be stock, they look too good.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #13

Those are stock BBS RKII rims available as an option on the 9-5 Aero....

and we like to joke that our lug bolts need more torque than Civics make...
Old 03-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #14
SAABeginner

Haha, yea my 1.6 didn't really pull much torque. You really had to get that sucker whining above 4 grand to get it to pull. Most people swap the d16 honda stock motor for a dual cam. I had a single cam, so I can't testify to how they pulled, but when you put a much heavier newer engine in a crx, it can really throw the balance off, if you don't do it right. Much fabrication for the cradle too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in