Picked up a new 9-5 sedan for DDing - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
Elder

Picked up a new 9-5 sedan for DDing

I thought that I'd give the 267k 9000 Aero a little rest for this winter and try out the Automatic lifestyle. Now, keep in mind I've had more than 25 SAABs and this is only the 2nd Auto, so no teasing!

2003 9-5 Linear Sedan, Auto, 136k. Like new in and out, a time capsule!

Family Shot, his and hers Corny I know, but you can't chose your color when you are buying used. I wish it was Red or White!!

First up was to get the heat working. A thermostat, a stepper motor for the air distribution system and fresh cabin filter got that working well. Also had to fix the driver's window rollers.

Then I replaced the wasted front subframe bushings and the rear outboard control arm bushings. Handles like new now, but I'd still like to do the sway bar links and bushings. Did you know this 03 Linear has the bigger Aero sway bars? Code H. Hmmm, weird.

Then I caught it up on general maintenance. I've got a full and good service history (a receipt for 1400 in July and 1800$ in October) but wanted to do things like ATF, filters and a preventative crank sensor, belt and idler pulley. I may do a preventative fuel pump too.

Up next was to repair the wiring harness for the trunk lid wiring, where they all tend to break... to get the trunk to pop open and the plate lights working again, I lengthen the wires so that the larger gauge is in the pass through.

And finally before I could be seen driving it... I had to drill four holes in the trunk and install a SAAB accessory bridge spoiler that I found on eBay in silver! Came out great but I wouldn't want to do that again, ever!

Well after a pair of Saturdays of Refurb I'm driving it and so far I really like it. The 5 speed auto is fantastic and I like it on the 43 mile round trip commute. The suspension is more forgiving than the 9000 Aero and there is a lot more room for the car seat in the back.

So couple questions for the gallery.

Summer wheels... Gary Fisher Rims? Klingons or double 3 spoke Evos? I'm thinking Gary Fisher wheels but could be swayed. Can't wait to get the stock linear wheels off and on craigslist (I have 3 sets of these now lol), but they have great snows on them.

Anyone have any aero side skirts for sale locally?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 03:51 AM   #2
Avid TSL User

Where you are I would get wheels that dont pack the snow turn into ice from brake heat rendering the car virtually undriveable. I had and Audi 100 witha bunch of shafts on the rims. Picked us snow like a magnet. Had to get new wheels
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-27-2013, 04:05 AM   #3
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Brennan View Post
Where you are I would get wheels that dont pack the snow turn into ice from brake heat rendering the car virtually undriveable. I had and Audi 100 witha bunch of shafts on the rims. Picked us snow like a magnet. Had to get new wheels
If you look at the wheels on the wagon you can see I've had that issue too. The Viking wheels are pretty good at keeping the snow pack out.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Hey Nick, just curious, do you have a set of Klingons already? Or will you possibly be looking for a set?
Old 01-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
Elder

I've got a set of them as well as the other ones I've listed.

But, I don't think that you should sell yours. They look great on the wagon. What are you going to replace them with?

How's the 9-3?

Last edited by NickTurbo900; 01-27-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:40 AM   #6
Elder

I'm still a little torn on getting rid of the Klingons, but I did score a set of 17" RK1's, which I think may look even better on there. I'm going to mount them up on one side today to get a preview.

The 9-3 has been pretty good. I have been trying to come up with an excuse to make a trip to VT and come see you. I still haven't fixed her rear brakes and she needs that flex pipe. I do have heat in the garage now at least. She's up for inspection too... so I need to get motivated. But she's got to renew her registration first. I may be in touch.

As we get closer to springtime I will be talking to you about some work my wagon needs. Subframe bushes, alternator, I WILL be getting a 3" DP finally, and I'd really like to drop the oil pan just for piece of mind.

And nice score on the 9-5. They are such great cars to put lots of miles on with!
Old 01-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
Elder

Awesome! Hope Cora Enjoys it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:49 AM   #8
Avid TSL User

Nice sedan Nick! We were up and Bill & I (read: Bill worked while I watched) changed the vc gasket + oil + filter on the 9-5 this past coldddd weekend and also replaced the chronically droopy driver side visor (his 3rd! GM crap...) that Josh & I picked up at Gary's U-Pull last week. They are good trip cars to put the long miles on. Hope yours serves well!
'84 900-T
'87 900
'99 9-3s dk blue
'99 9-3 red
'07 9-3 Sport Combi
Old 02-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
Nice Buy. I LOVE my 9-5, especially for long trips. By far the most comfortable Saab we have.

I'd like to find a wagon that needs some work... Looks like I'll have to keep my eye otu.
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
Elder

Some new pics, Spring is here:

2 NEW OEM headlights

and a new set of wheels, 2009 9-3 Aero XWD with Hankook Ventus V12s in 225-50-17

Been enjoying the auto on the commute
Old 04-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Nice! I'd slap some clear vinyl over those new headlights so they don't end up looking crappy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 9-5 Arc
Old 04-30-2013, 04:42 AM   #12
Elder

Nice Nick! Those 225/50's look MEATY, no rubbing with those?
Old 04-30-2013, 05:58 AM   #13
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
What kind of gas mileage is the auto giving you?

And when you say "get the trunk to pop open", do you mean just open period?
Or pop open and lift all the way up?
Old 04-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #14
Avid TSL User

Lookin' stylin' with the new wheels Nick!

<---- now... how about a REAL Saab?

Josh has to sell his 2 stroke to fix up his 9-3
solid & only $750!
'84 900-T
'87 900
'99 9-3s dk blue
'99 9-3 red
'07 9-3 Sport Combi
Old 04-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #15
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
What kind of gas mileage is the auto giving you?

And when you say "get the trunk to pop open", do you mean just open period?
Or pop open and lift all the way up?
I've been getting 24.5 with a 30-50mph secondary road type commute, but with some idling mixed in. That was with snows so I'm going to test with the new tires next week.

The trunk release wiring was damaged so the release button on the door was not actuating the rear trunk latch. The sedan trunk harness frequently breaks there in the hinge pass through.

Quote:
Nice Nick! Those 225/50s look MEATY, no rubbing with those?
They are big, but the extra inch of ground clearance is appreciated and the handling is perfect mix of sporty and compliant. This car has new rear shocks and the linear springs. If it was lowered on Aero springs I'd bet it'd rub. It rubs on big bumps slightly in the rear, as it sits it only comes close to rubbing in the rear on some plastic on the inner front part of the wheel well, nothing to be concerned with.

2009 9-5's came with the 225 50 17 stock but they have different wheel well liners also.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #16
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I have a good local source for aero side skirts if you're still looking, probably even has them in color for you
Old 04-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #17
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriks1 View Post
I have a good local source for aero side skirts if you're still looking, probably even has them in color for you
Cool! Would be thrilled to trade the white set I have but if the price was cheap...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in