2002 Saab 9 5 transmission problem - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012, 12:04 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Question 2002 Saab 9 5 transmission problem

Hi,

I hope this is the correct place to post this issue. I have a 2002 Saab 9 5, purchased from my brother-in-law. He kept the oils changed regularly and had the car serviced by the dealer. When he sold me the car, he told me that the gearbox light and the service engine light came on in the dash and the car stopped moving (while in Drive). He got the car home in limp-home mode and changed the trans fluid using Toyota T-IV AT fluid, and the car ran perfectly for six more months. He experienced the same problem again -- took it to a Saab dealership and they told him that it MIGHT be a problem inside of the transmission and for what he would pay for labor, he might as well replace the gearbox to the tune of $3500, so he decided it wasn't reliable enough for him and too expensive to attempt a replacement- and sold it to me...

I figured I'd give it a flush and see if that fixed it for a while, so I flushed the transmission and the car went into Drive and Reverse beautifully for about 3 minutes then it wouldn't move. No loud noises or anything, it just wouldn't move. I turned off the car and let it sit for 5 minutes -- started it back up, put it in Drive and drove it half a block and it stopped moving again. I had to keep turning the car off for five minutes (give or take a few minutes) in order to get it back home. Does anyone know if this is indeed the sign of a bad trans (gearbox) or could it simply need a reprogramming after the flush? I'm new to Saab ownership and any advice at this point would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, this is an Automatic Transmission 2002 Saab 9 5 Linear 2.3t

Last edited by 02Saab95; 05-10-2012 at 12:13 AM. Reason: I forgot to add that this is an AT.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 03:42 AM   #2
Avid TSL User

Was there not a TSB on the 02's and a fix. If I remember it was very complicated and had to do with the linkage. I think I saw it on Saab Central. Also, I believe you should look up Solenoid replacement issues as well. I believe it is one of those fixes.
The 1 TSB I found was for hard shift and that is not your issue. The next is for the selinoid http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=217671, but this is for the 4 speed, but it might apply to you. I know there is a TSB on the 02. I will look around some more. You dont list any codes you found. That should be your first step to get any code read.

Last edited by Mike Brennan; 05-10-2012 at 03:51 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
gearbox, shifting, transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in