Is a tranny swap possible - Non areo to Aero? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Is a tranny swap possible - Non areo to Aero?

The simple question - are all 2002 9-5 Automatic Transmissions the same?

I am looking at a nice 2002 Aero with a bad tranny. A solenoid has gone bad. My indy mechanic (SAAB only and a very good one) owns it, and has a 2002 salvage Transmission from a linear with low miles on it.

He is willing to swap out - but is it the same? Will it throw codes? Are there beefed up parts in the Aero tranny, or did Aisin sell just one unit for all horsepower levels?

The car in queston is a sweet, well cared for Black on Black with all the options. I am happily driving a 2003 Linear with a tan interior and the normal radio. I would enjoy the additional horsepower and beefier stereo...and I prefer the look of the darker interior. I'm tempted. I drive a lot...mostly highway miles.

Any help appreciated.

Karl in Indy
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Thre were a ton of small internal changes to the Valve body from 02 to 03 due to the early 02 5spd auto's being all screwed up from the factory. Just let him put the linear trans in. It probably has alot less wear compared to a comperable Used Aero tranny.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
SAABeginner

I have the serial number of the 02 linear tranny - any way to figure out if it was early in the production run? Also, is there any difference between the Aero and Linear unit? Can I put an 03 tranny in an 02?

I know, too many questions...just don't want to spend 10 hours swapping, then finding that an Aero won't take a Linear and be rejected.

Thanks!

k

Old 06-18-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
Elder

It should work fine.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
SAABeginner

Just a closing note on the post - it appears that the Aero transmission and the Linear Transmission are different and do not allow a straight swap. However, the valve bodies are identical in both. My local SAAB experts (Steve and Dan - Road Tested SAABs) had a low mileage valve body from a parts car, which was swapped in the car. Bingo.

The car runs and shifts fine, with no error codes. Yay! Thanks Steve and Dan and Duane at Aamco.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
aero, transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in