Glacier Blue 9-5 Aero Wagon Project - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2019, 09:08 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Troup
Glacier Blue 9-5 Aero Wagon Project

The story is: My girlfriend has enjoyed driving my wagon over the past 2 years claiming that it "wants to be driven fast". Given that we each have a big dog, the wagon works out great. We tossed around the idea that we would get her a wagon one day. She saw the Glacier Blue color on the internet and decided that was the color she wanted. I kind of laughed it off as I knew the color was super rare. As fate would have it, one popped up a few months later in Monterey, CA. I made it work out as part of a trip to move my brother from Ventura, CA to Nashville, TN. (I am currently spending the summer in Boulder, CO). We packed up the wagon and my SUV and loaded everything east. It all worked out pretty well.

I knew the color combination on a aero wagon was rare, but it turns out that this car is 1 of 13 Aero wagons. 10 were automatic, 3 were manual. That being said, the car needs a lot of love. It was a deceptive California car that started its life in Massachusetts. I knew about the dog leg rust that was on it, but of course there's more where that came from. The seller told me that the incorrect hood was on it because he lost his temper on the original one. Which he did, but only after he had a little run in with a deer. (the part I didn't know about until I drove 1200 miles). The radiator support is kind of kinked up and the condenser, radiator, and rad fan are likely going to need replacement. The Aero bumper is missing the bottom lip and is cracked from the deer incident. It will need replacing.

At 193k on the motor, I knew that I was getting into a project regardless of the body work.

However, I have no regrets. I love the car and so does Anna. It may take a couple of years, but we'll bring it back to it's former glory.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-1992 9000 T5
-1994 9000 Aero
-2004 9-5 Aero Wagon - Espresso Black
-2004 9-5 Aero Wagon - Glacier Blue
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2019, 09:13 PM   #2

Some pictures:

An epic California sunset right after I loaded it up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-1992 9000 T5
-1994 9000 Aero
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-23-2019, 12:29 PM   #3
SAABeginner

I love the color

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Old 07-24-2019, 02:08 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Very nice score! I'm sure it will clean up well.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:28 AM   #5

Got a lot accomplished on the wagon in the past couple of weeks. Finished up the rust repair on the dog legs and driver door that had been started when I got the car, cleaned up the scratches / damage on the rear bumper, buffed head lights out, charged up the AC and did a new fan speed controller. I also did a new radiator, and new (used) radiator fan and condenser to replace all the stuff that was cracked up front from the impact. We picked up a hitch and installed for the bike rack. Other new stuff includes EGR valve, MAF, and Bluetooth stereo and dashkit.

-1992 9000 T5
-1994 9000 Aero

Last edited by Troup; 08-12-2019 at 02:44 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:53 AM   #6

Anna flew into Colorado and we took the wagon to Saab Owner's Convention in Loveland. Had a blast meeting everyone, but I'll admit I was embarrassed parking this car next to other 9-5's with the hood in the condition that it was in.

After SOC, we made the 1,200 drive home. Luckily we had no issues. I'm pretty pleased with the car so far.

Dropped the hood off for paint. Can't wait for the results.

The two wagons together

-1992 9000 T5
-1994 9000 Aero

Last edited by Troup; 08-12-2019 at 02:56 AM.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:22 AM   #7
Avid TSL User

Nice pickup! That's a great color on the 9-5
Old 08-16-2019, 08:29 PM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Nice looking wagon. Did you do some body work on the hood before sending it off for paint? How did you go about the rust repair on the dog legs? Do you rattle can them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in