Saab 9.5/2004 - Navigation/Radio system display screen confused and can not set it up - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2018, 02:37 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Saab 9.5/2004 - Navigation/Radio system display screen confused and can not set it up

Yesterday I changed the jalousie on my Saab 9.5 (2004, EU Model) Automatic by removing the gear shifter etc. To do this I disconnected the Battery, of course, as I needed to remove, among other things, the Sport Button. So all in all the SID (I think it is called the SID unit, correct?) was disconnected for maybe a few hours (had lunch in-between).

This AM I noted that my SID system is confused.

Some of the symptoms are:
• RDS retime is also not working (pushing both small buttons left under the time display).
• The setup-screens are confused: not displaying all text.
• The setup-screens are confused; some buttons on the touch screen do not work.
• The ‘adjust’ setup-screen shows on the top half the navigation screen.
• Cannot set up the clock manually.
• And a few more.

I tried to disconnect the battery again for about a minute, but this did not work.

Anybody any suggestions? I hope so as I did not find anything on the Internet.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2018, 02:15 PM   #2
SAABeginner

Pics

Enclosed some pics. I hope this helps in finding a solution.
Pic 1 is as navi should be.
Pic 2 shows the screen field as mentioned n my original post.
Pic 3 shows the fields that can not be activated.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/kg4nwh3w/dafc8bfe/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-26-2018, 06:54 AM   #3
Elder

Best way to fix it is to buy a new radio. You'll get tech from this century (apple car play, android aouto) and rear view camera
Good system is 500 bucks.

Best money I ever spent on my car, made me love it again

Old 12-27-2018, 12:15 AM   #4
SAABeginner

Exclamation radio or sat/nav?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaab View Post
Best way to fix it is to buy a new radio. You'll get tech from this century (apple car play, android aouto) and rear view camera
Morning jssaab, thanks.

If you say 'radio' you mean radio, right? Because it is my sat/nav that is giving me problems. The Radio works fine. Or are you talking about the replacement of the sat/nav? Could you post a link as to what piece of equipment you are talking about? Thanks.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:36 AM   #5
SAABeginner

Exclamation Greetings, update.

I did two runs yesterday of about 35 miles each. During the drive I used to Navigation system in order to see how well it works given the challenges I have with the whole box. The routes I took are known to me, so I could check up on the system. It worked flawless. However I noted that the GPS indicator reported that it had not GPS (It is on the left almost on the top and a white box with GPS written in it and it was crossed out). I have never seen this appear before in the open air, besides from in the garage.

It took about between 5 and 10 minutes for the no GPS sign to go away.

Once it was gone, it did however not solve the problem I was not being able to set the time zone and the clock etc. (picture 3). Those fields remain blocked in a way.

So I expect there is an antenna problem. It pops the following questions for me:
1 Is there an easy way to check if the shark fin on the roof is faulty?
2 Are there any cables I could have disturbed replacing the jalousie?
3 Any tips?

Thanks
Old 12-29-2018, 05:52 PM   #6
Elder

Yes I maent to say Headunit..

I use Google maps on my Pioneer Avic headunit, never fails me
Old 01-03-2019, 12:38 AM   #7
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangeAgent View Post
Yesterday I changed the jalousie on my Saab 9.5 (2004, EU Model) Automatic by removing the gear shifter etc. To do this I disconnected the Battery, of course, as I needed to remove, among other things, the Sport Button. So all in all the SID (I think it is called the SID unit, correct?) was disconnected for maybe a few hours (had lunch in-between).

This AM I noted that my SID system is confused.

Some of the symptoms are:
• RDS retime is also not working (pushing both small buttons left under the time display).
• The setup-screens are confused: not displaying all text.
• The setup-screens are confused; some buttons on the touch screen do not work.
• The ‘adjust’ setup-screen shows on the top half the navigation screen.
• Cannot set up the clock manually.
• And a few more.

I tried to disconnect the battery again for about a minute, but this did not work.

Anybody any suggestions? I hope so as I did not find anything on the Internet.
I had a 2001, Saab 95 and had a miserable time trying to put a new jalousie in. It worked for a short time and then managed to get stuck regularly. I pulled it out and tried making one. That failed too. So, I had an open area around the shifter lever until the car was hauled away.
Regarding the SID, Saab 95 SIDs are known to have pixel issues. The causes are many, but, the fix is to replace the unit or have the SID display fixed. If you can find someone to disassemble the unit and reseat the solder connections to the SID, it will work OK. But, the situation is likely to return with other pixels going bad. Check out redaero.com for a used part.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:49 AM   #8
SAABeginner

OK I discovered more. Via the Saab Club NL I found the following info. It is, apparently, a known problem and seems to be a software fault.

If you disconnect the Battery it happens. You can no longer set the clock and there is a stripe through the GPS symbol. However the Navigation still works so there seems to be a GPS signal.

It is a software bug in all Denso units from 2005 till 2010. US Cadillac’s apparently have it too and apparently the Corvette C6 has it too. According to the poster is GM working on it.

And the following cars have the same problem:

Corvettes, Cadiillac STS's, Tahoes, and Suburbans are all affected.

If I find out more I post.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:07 AM   #9
SAABeginner

Has anybody heard of any solutions?
Old 07-27-2019, 01:41 AM   #10
SAABeginner

When a car stereo only works sometimes, there are two main types of faults that can be in play. One has to do with the car stereo turning on and working just fine, but the music intermittently cuts out, or the stereo randomly shuts itself off. The other has to do with the car stereo seeming to turn on, but no sound ever comes out.

Here are the most common causes of a car stereo only working sometimes, and what to do about it:

When a car stereo cuts out and then turns back on:
The problem is usually in the wiring.
If the display shuts off at the same time the music cuts out, then the unit is probably losing power.
Tracking down the fault can be difficult when the radio is functioning, since it actually has power at that time.
When a car stereo seems to turn on but produces no sound:
The problem is often in the speaker wiring.
A break or crimp in the speaker wiring, often where it passes into a door, can cause the sound to cut off entirely.
The problem could also be a bad amplifier or bad wiring to the amplifier.
If everything else checks out, the head unit itself may have failed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
sid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in