Higher Mileage '04 Aero Wagon - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Higher Mileage '04 Aero Wagon

Hi Guys!

I'm new to the world of saablink but have found some incredibly knowledgeable forums from you guys.

Unfortunately my current Saab ('04 Linear) is suffering from some severe iron oxide poisoning to the rear doglegs and fender edges. This is my first car and I have absolutely loved it, but being a college student I really can't justify putting $2000+ worth of rust repair into a $1400 car. That said, I've been doing some craigslist shopping and found an exceptionally clean '04 aero wagon which I'm sure I could get down into the $2250 range. Unfortunately, it has higher mileage at 170k. My question for you is: would buying this higher mileage wagon and doing an engine rebuild in two years be worth it? Or should I simply wait a few weeks and find a lower mileage wagon for double the price. Thank you!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2018, 07:48 AM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

If the seller has maintenance records 170k isn't too much mileage to be concerned about IMO. My two Aero wagons have 230K and 300K, both run great and have never been rebuilt.
If there are no hard records, ask the seller if any preventative maintenance was ever done on the engine, like timing chain replaced, dropping the oil pan to check for sludge, etc. Though I don't think sludge is as much of an issue on an 04 as on earlier cars.
02 Aero Wagon
07 9-3

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-08-2018, 10:07 AM   #3
Elder

Sludge is not as much of an issue with '04+, but should still be checked if you can. Maintenance records would be a big plus.

Like 9Kwrecker, my '99 9-5 LPT has ~310k on it now, and the only thing under the hood that's been replaced is the turbo (it's currently on it's second one) and serpentine belt, and the CPS.

That being said, that's unusual. When I had my shop, I considered cars coming in between 140k-170k sort of the magic spot. Either everything starts to go wrong right around there (if they weren't maintained or taken care of from the beginning), or nothing does. Turbos, alternators, water pumps, etc. all usually last about that long. Usually by 170k-180k all that stuff has already been replaced, so I usually tended to go towards cars with more like 180k-200k on them, rather than 120k.

Just one opinion. I've also seen nice looking 9-5's with 50k miles on them that need boatloads of maintenance, then I got my unicorn one that has needed essentially nothing for about the last 100k miles except fluids.

Take a close look at it, you should be able to tell if some or all of the underhood accessories have been replaced. Feel if the motor mounts or transmission is really sloppy when you drive it. Motor mounts and changing the alternator are both expensive, and the alternator is a huge pain the butt, so hopefully some of it's been done already.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:12 AM   #4
SAABeginner

Perfect! I appreciate the feedback. The seller is in his mid-70's and used to own an Indie SAAB/Volvo shop for 30+ years. Apparently buying and selling saabs is a bit of a retirement hobby for him, just goes to show that you can never get away from those darn things! He buys cars out of the rust belt, ships them up, and then goes over the mechanics to ensure everything is in good shape... seems promising so far. I'm going to go take a look at it this weekend and will keep in mind everything that you've mentioned.

What would you consider a fair price for this car? He has it listed for $3500 which I believe is a little high considering my grandfather just picked up an '04 Aero Sedan with 76k on the clock for $3800.

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #5
Elder

That would be a good price out here. If it's there in the Northeast and is (relatively) rust free and in good shape then it sounds like he's doing a good job keeping cars on the market!

I was buying and selling them up till a few years ago when I picked up a few new hobbies and don't have much time for the cars anymore, but it's always neat to meet people doing the same thing.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in