'05 MT 9-5 Aero Wagon - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2017, 06:10 AM   #1
SAAB Road Master

'05 MT 9-5 Aero Wagon

I may have done something...

1993 900 Commemorative Edition #50
1995 9000 Aero - Stage 3
1996 900 troll
2002 9-3 Viggen vert - Stage 4
2004 9-5 Aero Wagon
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2017, 07:43 AM   #2
WSW
Elder

Found one?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-06-2017, 09:58 AM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daven View Post
I may have done something...

Post up some pics! Loving all the recent manual wagon acquisitions around here.
02 Aero Wagon
07 9-3

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT

Old 12-06-2017, 10:15 AM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

pics or FAKE NEWS!
Old 12-06-2017, 02:22 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Nice, pics please
Old 12-06-2017, 04:03 PM   #6
Drew In Houston
Elder

Pictures! and story.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:00 AM   #7
SAAB Road Master

2005 9-5 Aero wagon with manual transmission, no roof rails, black with tan leather. 189k miles.

It belonged to Jordan at eEuro for the past 4 years. It hauled the family and groceries. Before that, the car lived in Vermont, so there is a bit of rust. Its nothing structural; the underside is clean, but the doglegs need attention, the hatch has rust, there is a rust hole in the LR fender behind the wheel well and the front bumper needs a repaint.

The interior is in great shape, just needs a light cleaning. The car has a solid maintenance history and has been well cared for, albeit washed infrequently in the winter months. It drives tight, smooth and fast. The shifter is pretty sloppy and will need a new linkage right away and a wheel bearing sometime in the future. My 2004 Aero wagon is an automatic as my wife commutes to work with it everyday. This is the first manual 9-5 I've driven and I absolutely love it. Its a lot of fun and, while I initially bought it as a fun winter driver so my other cars could stay indoors, I think I'll start tackling the rust areas this spring and probably keep it for the long haul. The black/tan combo reminds me of my very first car, a 1985 900 turbo 4-door 5speed, and I love the profile of the car without roof rails.

1995 9000 Aero - Stage 3
1996 900 troll
2004 9-5 Aero Wagon
Old 12-11-2017, 09:53 AM   #8
SAAB Road Master

So a few more issues have come to light in my first weeks of ownership. This being a "daily driver" in NYC means, unless I leave town on the weekends, I only drive it 2-3 times per week. At this rate, I'll still be discovering issues come summer when I stop driving it.

-The driver seat heater doesn't work.
-The headlight lenses need to be restored.
-The windshield wipers stop 1/3 through their sweep on intermittent function and they do not finish their sweep when the constant function is turned off.
-One (or more) of the parking sensors is bad.
-The car needs a motor mount and probably a transmission mount.
-There's a little knock from the front over bumps and I think the sway bar links need replacement.
-Needs a new fuel filter. Or rather, I HOPE that's the problem. More on this below.

When I initially picked up the car, there was a faint smell of gas, which I attributed to the fuel pump recently being replaced. I didn't see any evidence around engine or pump under the seat. I haven't driven it much, but each time I do, the smell is there. The other persistent issue, very similar to Trionic 3000's wagon, is how long it takes for the car start when the engine is cold. The engine cranks about 15-20 times before clattering and sputtering to life. I'm thinking maybe is a check valve in the fuel line. So I tell myself I wont drive it until I figure out where the smell is coming from. Then Friday rolls around and the dog has to go to vet before my wife comes home with the other wagon. He's not riding in the 900, so I put him in the black wagon and off we go. Returning to the car after the vet, the smell of gas is pretty strong so I look around again and see drops of fuel coming from the gas filter under the RR door. I figure that's bad, but not TERRIBLY dangerous, and that I'll still make it home. I get across the Williamsburg bridge and hop out at the first red light. At this point fuel is leaking dramatically faster and heavier. I'm only a quarter mile from home so I go for it. Its Friday night in Brooklyn; thousands of people are out and there is no parking. On my second pass around the neighborhood, the car sputters out, dies and will not start. I get out and see a huge puddle below the fuel filter. So now i have a dead car with a dog in the trunk on a busy street. After a bunch of frantic steering wheel cranking and handbrake pulling I am able to push the car back up (yes, up a slight incline) the street and parallel park in front of a fire hydrant. I did this while about 50 people watched, a dozen laughed and at least 1 took a video. I care about none of this, as long as my wife doesn't find out the new car has left me stranded after 1 week of ownership!

I came back around 2 am to push the car (downhill this time) into a legal parking spot, where I hope to perform a good ol-fashioned street repair once my fuel filter and washers/seals arrive this week. Not sure what I'll find; hopefully the barbs are still good and the seals and/or filter are bad. Never experienced this before, but it seems like a leaking/clogged fuel filter would impede fuel pressure and cause the cold-starting symptoms I was experiencing. I've heard the T7 systems are especially sensitive to drops in fuel pressure.

I would also like to address the criticism I am sure to face for driving with a leaking fuel filter. It is deserved. I realize I endangered not only myself and my dog, but also other drivers, as fuel creates a slick surface that affects tire traction. To either my credit or discredit, I have been accustomed to driving cars that half-work my whole life, so a certain amount of danger and risk is not only assumed, but welcomed (why the Top Gear UK "Cheap Car Challenges" are favorite of mine). Don't get me wrong, there are few things I enjoy more than a fun, dialed-in, reliable car where all the dash lights and amenities work, but there is little to deter me from a project where I see potential. I think this latest little mis-step will have me redefining what is acceptable risk.

As for the wiper issue, I ruled-out the relay, which means it has to be the motor. I ordered a rebuilt Cardone motor. Hopefully that does the trick.

Does anyone within 200 miles of NYC have a black wagon hatch to sell? The rust in mine is limited to the 3" horizontal section between the glass and tail lights. I could sand and repaint just that, but if the price and location are right, maybe just replace the whole thing.
1995 9000 Aero - Stage 3
1996 900 troll
2004 9-5 Aero Wagon
Old 12-11-2017, 07:27 PM   #9
Drew In Houston
Elder

Ah, it's not that bad leaking fuel back there, it's not like it's from the fuel rail with the catalytic converter directly underneath. Or..maybe I should say it could've been worse. I used to always carry a fire extinguisher but got out of that habit. You've inspired me, I think I'll ask for one for Christmas and get back in the habit.

The newest 9-5 I've worked on is a 2003, if they're the same on those fuel filters, if I remember right, there's a banjo bolt on both ends, pretty big head, like 17mm, 18mm, maybe 19mm or something, each with sealing rings on both sides. Unless the tubing itself is damaged you shouldn't have to worry about hose barbs. There's a plastic cover over the whole thing, it's held on with those long 10mm plastic acorn nuts, and there's a coarse torx screw, it's close to the same size as the four that hold the ignition cassette down, that holds a band around the filter canister. That's it.

If you're smelling fuel inside, you might lift the back seat up and check to see that the fuel canister lid is sealed properly too. There's a big o-ring in there that's really easy to get out of place. If that's not right the top of the fuel canister will be wet when the tank's full.

I'm curious to see what the cause of your windshield wiper issue is. Mine isn't working on high speed or on intermittent and I haven't had time to do any research on it yet.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:46 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
I just dealt with this on my '02. Turned out to actually be the fuel line from the tank that was leaking. It was around $100 for the line and not too bad of a job on a lift with the tank lowered slightly.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daven View Post
I would also like to address the criticism I am sure to face for driving with a leaking fuel filter. It is deserved. I realize I endangered not only myself and my dog, but also other drivers, as fuel creates a slick surface that affects tire traction. To either my credit or discredit, I have been accustomed to driving cars that half-work my whole life, so a certain amount of danger and risk is not only assumed, but welcomed (why the Top Gear UK "Cheap Car Challenges" are favorite of mine). Don't get me wrong, there are few things I enjoy more than a fun, dialed-in, reliable car where all the dash lights and amenities work, but there is little to deter me from a project where I see potential. I think this latest little mis-step will have me redefining what is acceptable risk.
Bah, no big deal. I once lived in Queens an watched a fire crew put out a car fire on my street. The whole thing was burnt out by the time I cam home, and they were still trying to put the flames out falling from the gas tank. It looked like liquid fire dropping down from the tank! They didn't clear the block running "its going to blow" like they do on the movies! They just patiently kept spraying it down till it actually stopped. Moral: liquid gas is just not the right air fuel mixture to ignite. A spray however.....

Also as I read this part I wondered about how slick the roads must have been in the 70's! My dads MG's just vent crankcase fumes directly to the ground! They didn't capture any of that so blow-by, raw fuel, and oil mist all got sucked out by the low pressure the car created as it drove and nicely deposited on the road. I wonder what that was like with all cars doing that!
Old 12-13-2017, 05:27 AM   #12

Good story, I would have done the same thing. It's amazing how many people will stand around and watch, laugh or video when someone is in need. Good on you for busting your ass and getting it done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in