2002 9-5 Aero Wannabe - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2016, 04:15 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Troup
2002 9-5 Aero Wannabe

As some of you may know, I got a 9-5 with a slipping automatic transmission in the Summer of 2014 for $500. The plan when I got it was to flip it with a buddy and try and turn a profit. Over the time it's taken me to get it road worthy, The need for another vehicle in my family presented itself, so I gave it to my brother. He tours with a musician a good portion of the year, so I get the pleasure of treating it like another one of my cars

I am trying to nurture his interest in tinkering with cars while also satisfying my addiction.

The day I got it in Atlanta:

The replacement Automatic slushbox:

finally got it driving with a few quirks -- Take it on a road trip to Atlanta, stock linear turbo bites the dust, and quickly. I actually had the fire department called on me I was burning so much oil.

Picture from the rescue mission.

New TD04 to replace stock turbo, and phase one of making it an aero.

That one time my AC drains were clogged and the entire car flooded. Good times.

Built some better drains

Got some new wheels (And beer)

Some guy rear-ended me in a parking lot. He paid for a new trunk lid from a parts car. I ended up returning with one that had a spoiler and was in better shape then the one I intended to buy. Oh, and he paid for my gas.

Bought an 2003 + Aero front bumper and some aero side skirts (hard to see in pics of black car in shitty lighting)

I bought a set of uninstalled Koni's and Vogtland springs for it in December. But they belong on a 98-01 9-5. So, I'm actively finding a way to adapt them. (I do stupid stuff every now and then.)

Some glory shots:

That pretty much brings us up to date... The transmission is generally fine. Every so often, it'll throw a code for the converter and will start to slip... but, I've found that if you key off, key on, then all is well for another couple hundred miles. Obviously some electrical gremlin that I don't care much about finding. I've grown to love this car. Probably one of my more rewarding projects that I've had.

I plan to one day manual swap it (already have all necesary parts, minus a clutch.) But, I'm going to wait until either the auto fails again, or a I have a bunch of spare time. Taking bets on which one of those happens first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-1992 9000 T5
-1994 9000 Aero
-2004 9-5 Aero Wagon - Espresso Black
-2004 9-5 Aero Wagon - Glacier Blue

Last edited by Troup; 02-05-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2016, 04:22 PM   #2

Things to come:

-Install custom 3 inch DP
-Retrieve and install black aero interior
-Adapt lowering kit
-Tint

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-1992 9000 T5
-1994 9000 Aero
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-05-2016, 04:48 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Nice!

You may find it a waste of time to adapt the lowering kit (I think you'll have to swap out a bunch of front hub/knuckle stuff?).

My 02 was a base model to start. But it's lowered on eibach's with Koni's, has all the aero skirts and lip spoiler, I run RK1's in the summer, it's got aero interior and steering wheel and leather shift knob/boot... you'd never know it wasn't an aero Except I have opted to keep the 2.3t badge on the back (it actually still has the GT17 pulling strong, but I have my 18t TD04 sitting on the shelf form y old Aero). Everyone is dying to find a 5spd Aero wagon, but it'd probably be easier to go this route and "Aero" a base model w/ 5spd stick.

This is a cool project. Nice work keeping an older, solid car on the road!

Old 02-06-2016, 08:23 AM   #4

Trunk loaded down, lookin low.

Post wax

Better pic of the new aero bumper. Sans foglights. Anyone have foglights for sale?

Lurking in Atlanta

-1992 9000 T5
-1994 9000 Aero
Old 02-06-2016, 08:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cark View Post
Nice!

You may find it a waste of time to adapt the lowering kit (I think you'll have to swap out a bunch of front hub/knuckle stuff?).

My 02 was a base model to start. But it's lowered on eibach's with Koni's, has all the aero skirts and lip spoiler, I run RK1's in the summer, it's got aero interior and steering wheel and leather shift knob/boot... you'd never know it wasn't an aero Except I have opted to keep the 2.3t badge on the back (it actually still has the GT17 pulling strong, but I have my 18t TD04 sitting on the shelf form y old Aero). Everyone is dying to find a 5spd Aero wagon, but it'd probably be easier to go this route and "Aero" a base model w/ 5spd stick.

This is a cool project. Nice work keeping an older, solid car on the road!
Eh, I found a pair of steering knuckles for $100. I'm suspicious that I need a new wheel bearing on the car as it sits... So as long as I can figure out the right combination of stuff, I'll end up adapting it. I saved myself a couple hundred by buying the way I did.

My GT17 pooped itself hard. The exhaust side turbine was rolling around in the housing when I took it off the car.

I agree, I'm all about finding cars that need a little work and making them nice. I've really enjoyed this transformation. It doesn't bother me at all that it's not a real "Aero"

I forgot to mention that I also have the sport wheel and aluminum dash fascia. But I'm waiting to install that until I source a black dash to match my black interior.

-1992 9000 T5
-1994 9000 Aero
Old 12-04-2018, 07:06 AM   #6

I'll restore this old thread even though it's useless with the original pictures missing.

Anyways, the car sat for almost a year with BUS communication issues when my brother and I tried to swap the dash from tan to black, the last step in swapping the entire tan interior to black.

Finally got it back up and running last week.

So now it has a black Aero interior with a black dash from the 04-05 models. Also got the aluminum fascia piece. It looks so much better than the car did originally. I think it cost around $50 for the dash and aluminum piece from the junkyard

Picture of the new dash - Forgive how dirty the car is

-1992 9000 T5
-1994 9000 Aero

Last edited by Troup; 12-04-2018 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:26 AM   #7

Some old pictures to replace the missing ones:

Halfway through the interior swap:

-1992 9000 T5
-1994 9000 Aero
Old 12-04-2018, 07:38 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Wow, that's a FULL swap, I would just swap the front seats, steering wheel and call it good!

I miss my '02 linear wagon. It was a 5 spd, had aero lip and skirts, aero seats w/ sport wheel, lowered suspension and aero brake set up. Actually kept the little GT17 but had a GS 3" DP and BSR cat back. It was the perfect setup for me! Super quick spool, great fuel economy. The rust had gotten it pretty bad, so I got my '08, sold the '02 to a co-worker last winter for $500. He's put 20k on it and hasn't had to do a single thing. Go figure.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:09 AM   #9

Good work! I'm very partial to dark interiors, myself. The light gray leather in my 9000 is about as not-black as I can handle so I can understand why you'd do this.

A looong time ago I helped my dad swap his 9000 CS from beige to full black Aero interior, dash swap and all. It was a ton of work, and we had the benefits of no computers to reprogram and the parts car sitting next to the car being swapped. Props for doing this with junkyard parts.
02 Aero Wagon
07 9-3

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in