Saab Link Forums banner

Project Road Trip

7K views 53 replies 12 participants last post by  9Kwrecker 
#1 ·
Traveled 1000+ miles in 36 hours over Monday and Tuesday to get this and drive it back to Ohio:

The important part:

5MT, 206K, I'm the 3rd owner.

Has a GS short shifter, GS intake, and Forge diverter valve. Not tuned (yet). Also a new clutch, slave, TOB. Wheels in the pics have new Michelin snows, and it came with the stock Aero's with (IIRC) good Hankooks.

Has a few needs. I don't think it's boosting right as it feels slower than my dad's '00 Aero. Need new headlight bulbs, the pair it has are dim as desk lamps. That said, it ran great all the way from Long Island to Cleveland, returned about 27 MPG at ~75-80 MPH.

See less See more
#3 ·
It is really clean, here's some pics I asked for from the PO before I made the drive:

It was a CT car until it moved to Long Island a year ago. Did I miss a memo and CT cars don't get crusty?

#5 ·
-clean
-black
-manual
-aero
-wagon

This one checks all the boxes. Nice snag! If the dog legs are that clean the rest of the car is probably just as well cared for.

#6 ·
I fixed the boosting problem by swapping on the BPC from my red wagon.
While I was in there I found that the top hose was disconnected and plugged with a bolt. Anybody ever see or do that before?

#8 ·
I'm near Cleveland.

I don't think that's been done, quick look under the hood the hoses look like stock setup.
It was a hose on the bpc that was plugged, that looks like they're messing with the diverter.

#9 ·
I found a lot of vac lines yesterday that were rotten. I replaced all those and now the car pulls much better, however, I'm still getting P0101. I think next I'll inspect the air filter and MAF.

Since this is a picture thread, Saturday was 55* and decent here, so the car got a thorough hand wash and a long cruise:

Then today there was this situation:

Also got the headlight bulbs replaced, incredible difference.

#10 ·
Was discussing this in Saabeh's wagon thread, but I ordered this sub from:
http://www.kicker.com/6-75-comprt-subwoofer-2-ohm

At first I was a little bummed that they don't offer Prime shipping (still free), but I ordered it on a Thursday and it was here the following Monday. Looks like a quality piece. As soon as it's above freezing here, hopefully this weekend, I'll be putting it in.

#13 ·
Saabeh, thanks for moving this thread!

Still chasing down a boost problem, throwing code P1110. I just took out the forge DV and inspected it, put a clean piece of line on it, and I can't force air through it in either direction.
While it was off, just for giggles, I did the same thing on the long vac line going from the DV to the "Vacuum Valve" (thing on the firewall with 3 vac lines and a plug). Seen here:
Genuine SAAB Vacuum Valve 55562854 - Free Shipping

I was able to force air in either direction through that valve using the line to the DV. Should I be able to do that?

#14 ·
After little more research I found a WIS screenshot on SC with info about that valve. It looks like if that valve fails to open when the throttle is closed, P1110 is generated.

#17 ·
cool car, I had to travel to get my 02 aero wagon with a 5spd, it was a 600ish mile drive home.

the 5spd aero wagons are worth traveling for, there are so few of them, they are truly one of the saabs that is worth more than the blue book

#18 ·
What are those little plugs on the inside of the doglegs?
No idea, I actually didn't really notice them, but I'll look. Maybe sunroof drains?

cool car, I had to travel to get my 02 aero wagon with a 5spd, it was a 600ish mile drive home.

the 5spd aero wagons are worth traveling for, there are so few of them, they are truly one of the saabs that is worth more than the blue book
I completely agree, I was *this* close to buying the $9K Cosmic Blue wagon that Garry Small still has for sale when I found this one. I still had to travel a long way for it, but 1/3 the price worked out much better for me even if this one has a few niggling problems.

Side note miked, the PO of my car told me he had talked to you about tuning this car before he decided to sell it. Expect to hear from me in the spring when this thing is at full stage 0 with all the kinks worked out.

#19 ·
Status update after spending 8 hours at the shop today:

I found that the K&N filter that the PO had held on with zip ties and a piece of exhaust pipe(!) was filthy. I took that off and put the stock air box and filter back.
I also found that the MAF was filthy, not surprising looking at the filter. Took that apart and cleaned it well with MAF cleaner.
Replaced the spark plugs, looking at them made us think the car was running lean for some time.
Finally, after checking every vacuum valve and line in the system and deciding that they were fine, we checked the wastegate. That was really far out of adjustment, we shortened it about 7 turns to get it in line.

End result: I think I'm finally getting full power out of the Aero. It really moves now. Good spool up and no more symptoms that feel like fuel starvation. Holds boost till I start to run out of revs.

Oh, and I also installed the subwoofer. That little guy sure sounds better than the stock unit that had no cone left.

I should be a fuel filter away from ready to tune at this point.

#22 · (Edited)
Scored a bridge spoiler this morning from a company that sells repro units. Sadly it's painted already in the wrong color (good thing I got it for what I thought was a great deal at <$100).

Edited to add, it came really well packed and includes mounting hardware, installation instructions, and templates for drilling the holes.

I'll finish unpacking it and take some pics later. I think they have one more available if anyone is interested. I was tempted to buy it and just put it stock.

#23 ·
In response to the other thread, here's a short update and a pic.

I forgot to take pics of the spoiler. It's tucked away in a box waiting for a paint job.

Saabeh, you had a question about those little holes inside the rear doors. I have no idea what they could be for. They just look like plugs, they don't even look like one way drains or anything like that. Maybe someone else with a 02+ 9-5 can weigh in?

Other than that, I've just been driving car as much as possible, I'll be at 209K in the next week or so. It's quick, it handles well, it looks good. I'm kicking myself for driving that poopy automatic for almost 2 years.

I'm on the hunt for a 3" down pipe, still hoping to find a used one if possible. Once I get that handled, I think I need to replace the fuel filter and re-torque the head and I'll be ready to start doing some tuning.

#24 ·
I wonder if the plugs are from a rust proofing service like Ziebart. I have seen cars that they have done and they have similar plugs where they drilled to spray the rust proofing in.

#25 ·
Are you gonna keep the wheels as is? RK's would look amazing on that car.

I had a P1110 code on my 02 9-5. I bypassed the Boost control valve on the firewall and all is well. (I also could've replaced the vacuum line that was missing)

#26 ·
Rust proofing is a definite possibility, the car is overall very clean. Although I have found the smallest beginnings of rust on the inside edges of the doglegs, so that will be getting sanded and painted once it's warm enough. My hope is that since it's black and it's not very rusty at all it won't be a tough job.

Those BBS wheels it has on it are just the snow setup. I will be putting the 5 spoke 9-3 Aero wheels on it that were on my red 9-5. The spoiler I bought for it looks exactly like the one that's on the red car as well, and tint will also be happening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.