Check out my new 2005 9-5 Aero! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #1
SPG
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Check out my new 2005 9-5 Aero!

Hey guys, not sure how many of you knew but I ended up selling my 1997 9000 Aero. But in it's place I was able to get this 2005 9-5 Aero, it's got 182K, Parchment Silver with black leather, and of course it had to be a 5 speed. The previous owner really ran it into the ground, it's going to need a lot of love to bring it back up but I couldn't be more excited to own it. Since taking over ownership I've replaced the center grill that was missing, I ordered and installed euro clear corners, I installed 4 almost new Toyo Proxes 4 tires, I picked up a Krona 3" downpipe off another Saablink member and installed it, and gave the interior a good cleaning. I have an appointment to get it aligned at a very reputable tire shop this Thursday and I have a handful of interior bits to replace/pick up. Stay tuned to see the progress I make!

Last edited by SPG; 08-02-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2015, 01:35 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
What are your thoughts on the Krona downpipe?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #3
SPG

Well it's definitely a nice looking downpipe, but I can't speak for it's performance gains just yet. When I first got the car it wasn't pulling past the vacuum zone until I changed the downpipe yesterday and now it's boosting. So it must've been a plugged cat is the only thing I can think of that would open it up like that. But during the process of trying to remove the old downpipe the exhaust studs broke off at the resonator so at the moment it's just a straight open downpipe and crazy loud. I'll let you know what I think of it after I get a muffler shop to knock out those two studs so I can hook it up to the rest of the system, I should be able to do that tomorrow on Monday.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:18 AM   #4
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Great looking car, it should treat you well!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:00 AM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Krona downpipe is a good piece....sweet car in a sweet color...in your picture it almost looks like seamist metallic.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:15 PM   #6
SPG

Thanks for the compliments guys! I've always loved the 9-5 Aero's since I first rode in one, I have no doubts that I'll love this car. I should be able to get into my local muffler shop in the next 45 minutes to get those studs knocked out.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:06 PM   #7
SPG

So I got those studs knocked out and hooked the rest of the system up, but I have a misfire which is probably what ruined that OEM cat in the first place. I'll be installing new plugs tomorrow and see if it clears up, otherwise it's probably a DI but I'm betting plugs with how the past owner treated it. I'll also be putting in some new window rollers to fix the broken drivers side window.

Has anyone here run the K&N drop in filter? Do you get some spooling noises through it? I'd love to run the GS open intake but I didn't see any sort of shielding to protect it from sucking in water underneath the car.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:21 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

Very nice looking spg I have a complete 3"SS muffler whit v-band
for sale
Old 08-03-2015, 08:00 PM   #9
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Just run the GS intake either the way it is, or build a splash shield. I have had that intake for a total of ~6 years and never an issue. Albeit, I avoid puddles on that side and such. All you need is a 3" pipe and a filter, g96nt knows what the filter is.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:09 PM   #10
SPG

Thanks for the tip Saabeh! Today I put in new plugs and now the car pulls like a train, so that's one less thing off the list. I also fixed the drivers window with new rollers. I was however super disappointed to see I got a flat tire in the rear, it seems it picked up a Phillips screw off the road. It blows me away that they're less than 4 days old installed and already I'm having to get a patch thanks to some redneck tossing screws out of their window on my country road.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:09 AM   #11
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Gah that sucks. New tires for me tomorrow, hope they stay full haha.

Quote:
Old 08-05-2015, 08:08 AM   #12
SPG

Let's hope so, this is the second time this has happened. My mom got one in her tire just last month too, and it was also a Phillips screw it's so weird. What kind of tires are you getting though? I haven't even gotten a chance yet to really get a feel for the Toyo's with the car's health like it was but hopefully after today I can.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:10 AM   #13
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Grabbing some Sumitomo HTR Z III's. They are a decent summer only, quiet tire.

Quote:
Old 08-07-2015, 09:41 PM   #14
SPG

So I've just been working on replacing all the junky/broken interior bits that I could, I'll be taking some pictures soon just been trying to get it presentable. I did get that tire patched up and I gotta say I'm pretty happy with the Proxes so far. I read some online reviews on Toyo's website that said they were super noisy (one of them funny enough from a Viggen owner), but I honestly don't find them noisy at all and they're pretty grippy. I absolutely love how incredibly well the 9-5 Aero handles for stock, it's such a huge difference from the 9000. My alignment had to be rescheduled though because we found out that I need camber shims for the rear, so I've gone and ordered those up from Genuine Saab and my new alignment date is the 19th.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:18 AM   #15
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Don't dick around with the shims.
Get the PPS trailing arm bushings, and the adjustable lower arms and be done.
Personally, I don't mind the camber, and now that my toe is straight I don't eat tires.
people seem to be touchy about it, though.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:50 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Troup
Sweet car man! I've been trying to get my 9-5 back on the rode all summer. hah. It makes me appreciate the 9000! They're both awesome cars though. Are you going to tune it?

-1992 9000 T5
-1994 9000 Aero
-2004 9-5 Aero Wagon - Espresso Black
-2004 9-5 Aero Wagon - Glacier Blue
Old 10-30-2015, 10:02 AM   #17
SPG

Boy it's been ages since I've updated this thread. I haven't been able to do too much with the car lately but here's some pictures of how filthy the car was when I first picked it up and what I've been able to get it to today. There's still quite a lot of staining in the carpet that I haven't been able to pull out yet and there's still a lot I'd like to replace in the interior. I'd like to swap out the entire dash for one that's clean without gouges (you can see them in one of the pictures), locate an Aero finish bezel piece for the shifter, get a shift knob put on, put a factory radio back in if it's still possible (not sure if it's possible if the past owner didn't divorce the old radio), install a good dash cup holder, and a few other small things. If anyone knows anything about whether you can install another radio even if the old unit wasn't divorced I'd love to know.

Before;

After;

Old 10-30-2015, 02:19 PM   #18
SAAB Road Master

I'm glad you restarted this, because I wanted to respond to your "Battleviggen" post without hijacking that thread.

When you started this thread you mentioned how the previous owner had run the car into the ground, but that was hard to imagine because it looked so good in your pictures. Having followed Kyle's progress with Battleviggen and seeing your before & after photos here, my hat is off to both of you!

Both of you had gorgeous classic SAABS that you'd probably spent blood, sweat and tears on for years. They had seen nothing but love and care in your ownership and yet you let them go for others to enjoy so you could restore another car in need. I admire that. I mean, your cars made me seriously consider selling/trading one of mine and that never happens...because I'm a car hoarder. Each car I buy with plans to make it at least a 9/10, enjoy for a while and then sell. Thing is, I haven't been able to let one go for over 4 years now.

I hope the new owners of your last cars fully appreciate them and I wish you both luck with your new project cars. They're looking great so far!
1993 900 Commemorative Edition #50
1995 9000 Aero - Stage 3
1996 900 troll
2002 9-3 Viggen vert - Stage 4
2004 9-5 Aero Wagon
Old 10-30-2015, 07:37 PM   #19
SPG

Thank you for the kind words Daven it really means a lot! I think Kyle has it worse than I do exterior wise but props to him for taking on the job! The car definitely looks a lot better than when I first picked it up even in my first post since I'd actually fixed a few things before taking those pictures. Most of the dents are pretty well hidden in the parchment silver color but I'll take some close ups of them tomorrow. I hope to eventually get most of them removed but it's a matter of money at the moment, they do all look fixable though. As far as the mechanical condition of the car, it's definitely going to need a transmission to fix that 2nd gear or have it rebuilt (I think replacing with a good used unit will be cheaper), it also really needs motor mounts, and there's a handful of small problems I need to tackle as well, like the ignition not popping up when taking the key out, A/C doesn't kick on, etc. I'm just going to take my time and tackle one thing at a time within my budget until I get her all put together again, I'll probably start with those motor mounts first and work my way from there.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:40 PM   #20
SPG

Here's one of the last pictures I took of my 9K Aero before she went away.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in