I'm back in a SAAB! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2015, 08:30 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

I'm back in a SAAB!

Ever since I sold my 9000 something just hasnt seemed right. I've had a few cars since the 9000 and nothing quite did it for me. Then, after recently starting a new job at a one time very busy SAAB dealership , and being bombarded with saab this, and saab that, I just couldnt take it anymore. So I sold my car and bought a new little project .

2003 9-5 wagon. I've always loved the shape of the wagon and this is exactly what I was looking for. year, color, wagon, and...AUTOMATIC. Yes, I am actually excited about that. I know, I know, I never thought I would own an automatic, but I really wanted one for some reason. I drive 92 miles a day for work, and suffer from a condition called ankylosing spondilitis which can make shifting quite painful at times. Its also really not that bad, I like the sport mode and the paddle shift. I will admit I dont know much about the 9-5 and most of my saab knowledge is in the 9000. But I work with some very smart people that have been in the saab business for over 30 years now. So the plan is to have this car cleaned up, fixed up, and ready for some basic mods. Its been years since I've been on here, and I'm glad to be back. Driving is interesting again!!!

More pic's coming soon
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2015, 08:08 AM   #2
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Nice! Saab 9-5 wagons are awesome cars. You'll enjoy daily driving it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-30-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
SAAB Road Master

Congrats!

I just bought one too and I am so impressed with the looks and feel and the fit & finish of the 9-5 (in any trim level really). It really does everything well...much the same way a 9000 does everything well. The ride quality is better in a 9-5, something that should help your condition more than a 9000 could. I hope this car proves to be a perfect match for all you need it for.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:10 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daven View Post
Congrats!

I just bought one too and I am so impressed with the looks and feel and the fit & finish of the 9-5 (in any trim level really). It really does everything well...much the same way a 9000 does everything well. The ride quality is better in a 9-5, something that should help your condition more than a 9000 could. I hope this car proves to be a perfect match for all you need it for.
Thank you, I hope so too. I will be dropping the oil pan saturday.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:45 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

dropped the sump last saturday. Holy crap!!! Full of sludge, the oil screen was pretty bad too. I did this at work on a lift (saab dealership) thank god. Cleaned everything out, all back together and the "whine" is gone. Going to flush it again at 600 miles. Was nice having a 32 year saab mechanic next to me the entire time lol. New plugs as well, and am planning on tuesday night (shop night) to do a full tune up and swap to pcv6 . Also scored some free fog lights from work, since mine are just gone. Flushing the coolant, and the ATF. Cleaning the head light sensor for the auto level since I have that light on the dash. Should be a good night. I've started cleaning, but still have much to do, Im convinced this car has never seen a real detail in years. But thats ok, and what I'm best at. Wish I had taken some pictures, but you all know what it looks like when you drop the pan. I'm also ,surprisingly, really enjoying the automatic.

P.S. I already want more power.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:50 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
Nice! Saab 9-5 wagons are awesome cars. You'll enjoy daily driving it.
I have been
Old 08-07-2015, 07:08 AM   #7
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Wow, good thing you dropped the pan. Saved it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:34 AM   #8
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Wow, good thing you dropped the pan. Saved it!
Yeah, I'm starting to get the feeling the PO did very little to this car. I've been hearing a slight random grinding noise in P, and N. Fluid level is full. But HOLY crap is it dirty. Looks like used motor oil its so dirty. So monday morning at work this is happening first thing!

Until then, is there an additive I can use? I'm very worried that the tranny will fail on me on my way to work. No noise in drive gears or manual mode. But still, its bothering me so much that I'm now basically stuck in my apartment all weekend because I dont want to drive it. Thank god I work for a SAAB dealership. My goal is to have every drop of this old fluid out , and fresh new stuff in by 9:00 monday morning. Should I be worried about the noise in P,N?
Old 08-09-2015, 12:46 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

So I decided to not risk it and drive 46 miles to work for the tranny flush. I bought the best stuff I could get on a sunday in vermont. The old fluid was very nasty. Looked like used motor oil, the magnetic drain plug was covered and I gave that a very good cleaning as well. Flushed out just under 4 quarts . So the plan is, do another flush tuesday night when I change the oil since I will be right at or around 600 miles since I did the pan drop. Then I'll flush the tranny fluid again the following tuesday night. When I see it flowing out 100% clean and the drain plug is still clean I'll add another bottle of the lucas stuff and call it good. Then I'll get on a regular flush at every other oil change. I drive 92 miles a day and figure thats a good cycle. Air filter needs to be replaced tomorrow too. Really wish people would just take care of their cars, especially such a nice car. Oh well, I'm getting to this right at the right time I think.

I also spent 2 hrs claying and waxing just the drivers side. The amount of rail dust was un-real!!! Still need to detail the inside. Just dont have the time like I used to it seems these days.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:24 AM   #10
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Looks good.

Quote:
Old 08-10-2015, 04:11 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

Talked to a buddy who works at a shop next door about rust prevention etc. We are planning to grind away any rust we can find underneath and coat everything with this special chassis saver he has. Then I'm going to take the rocker panel covers off and do the same, and hit with bed liner. After this I need to take it yet again to my other friends shop right before winter and have it hit with lanolin. Going to drill holes in the door sills and spray hot bar and chain oil inside them then use a body plug to cover the hole. I'm sure everyone is aware , But cars in New England dont hold up so well to the salt, salt brine, and generally terrible winter weather. I'm hoping that all of this, coupled with washing the car 3-4x a week will help keep this wagon on the road for years to come. The tranny already sounds better and is shifting very smoothly. I also had the paint shop mix up some 268 for me for touch up's.

Quote:
Looks good.
Thanks! Hoping to get her looking even better. I love silver , especially on SAAB's.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:58 PM   #12
Avid TSL User

So, it turns out its not the tranny making the noise, but a pulley. Oh well, the flush needed to happen. Only 2 more flushes and I should be good. Also did the other oil change last night, put some motor flush in and let it idle for 5 minutes then flushed it. Could not believe how nasty that oil was, mind you its only 600 miles. The car is also starting to just feel better and better. Oh, cleaned the throttle body too. Anyway...
Old 08-14-2015, 07:55 AM   #13
Avid TSL User

Added 12 oz of lucas 'stop slip' last night. I'm not adding it because my tranny is slipping btw, adding it for its cleaning power and other good things. I believe it may help to speed the process of getting the trans fluid back to clean and perfect much faster. I will also continue to use it even after the fluid is perfect. Why not?

Was checking out my front end when I had it on the lift at work and noticed I need a passenger side sway bar end link. Oh well, my cost is $25.00. I love working for saab lol. We also found on the parts shelf a never used in box sunroof air deflector, and those strips that go on the very tip of the hoods, to help with stone chips etc. So come pay day I may actually pick up the deflector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in