New to forum. Need advice with this 9-5 Aero - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2015, 01:36 PM   #1
SAABeginner

New to forum. Need advice with this 9-5 Aero

Hi all!

New to the forum, but been on car forums for a while. I was looking to get a Saab, they've always interested me so I thought a could try to find a cheap one. They're hard to come by out here in Albuquerque.

I saw this 2000 9-5 sedan on good ol' Craigslist and it seems like an okay deal. However, my Saab knowledge and prowess is not attuned to knowing the differences between the SE model and the Aero. From what I've read it has the Aero wheels and engine, though that's hard to tell, but it doesn't seem to have any exterior Aero goodies like I've seen on more recent Aero's.

I've googled and tried to look up pics but really, I can't tell the difference. The little badge on the fenders seems to say Aero, but I know they can be changed. Could anyone help me out? I've read that the seats are different in an Aero but can't seem to find the difference there either.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/5112698691.html

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
Elder

Welcome.

The early ('99-'01) Aeros had very minimal exterior and interior differences to the base and SE car, but one easy giveaway is the body colored side skirts under the doors - base and SE cars they were grey. Those are the correct 'Klingon' wheels for an early Aero.

The early cars also all got the same interior, but the later '02+ sport seats will bolt right in.

The only difference with the engines is the turbocharger, the tune in the ECU, and the exhaust valves. Otherwise the only differences are fairly small, like larger front brake rotors, lower slightly stiffer springs and shocks, and they usually had the upgraded stereo with subs on the rear parcel shelf (Harmann Kardon I believe)

The easiest way to tell is by asking for the VIN number. In the 8th digit a base car will have a letter 'E,' an Aero will have a 'G.' See this link.

That looks like an Aero to me.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-08-2015, 03:11 PM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

No fancy seats and brushed aluminum dash 'til the '02 model. So, that one really is an aero

Edit: Drew types faster than me

Old 07-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #4
Elder

Lol

Quote:
Old 07-09-2015, 08:41 AM   #5

Nobody has mentioned the sport wheel on the aero. Std on an aero but may have been an option on se. The sport wheel has perforated leather rather than rubber.

Also that picture looks like the aero front lip is missing. This is common as they can get torn off.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:39 AM   #6
Elder

^^ Yup! You're exactly right. The sport steering wheel has the little protrusions at 10 and 2 for your thumbs. Good catch.

Quote:
Old 07-09-2015, 06:18 PM   #7

You can see the side of the front lip here on my aero. These wheels are the "linear launch" wheels that can on the 2003 "new" 9-3. Not my favs but decent, I like them better than the stock aero klingons.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (414.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-09-2015, 06:21 PM   #8

Oh and forgot, aero had a different exhaust tip than std se cars. Not sure if you can make it out here. Also shown optional spoiler, and license plate rear reflector (I think this was an accessory).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (415.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-09-2015, 06:43 PM   #9
Elder

Nice looking car. Always a fan of red. Looks very clean throughout. It is an Aero and is missing the front lip. Make sure you see a record of full synth oil changes and that it has the PCV #6 update. Good price too! I paid $2500 for my 2000 and it had 190K miles. BTW, I'm in NY and mine came from Sante Fe!

2000 Viggen 'vert
2000 9-5 Aero
1998 9000 CSE Turbo
1994 9000 Aero

Last edited by Ninety5Aero; 07-09-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #10
Elder

Oh and Tboy, your car looks great! I just got the spoiler and decor panel for mine today.

2000 Viggen 'vert
2000 9-5 Aero
1998 9000 CSE Turbo
1994 9000 Aero
Old 07-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

Yeah on a 2000 try to look at service records for synthetic oil changes at a reasonable interval and the pcv #6 but I think that that stupid high recommended mileage for oil changes from gm had as much or more to do with it than the crank case ventilation.

A quick search will pull up plenty of info on the sludge issues these motors had but if it's running quiet and smooth after this many years it's probably fine but it would still be a good idea to drop the oil pan and clean the gunk out and make sure the pickup screen is clear.

Although it seems at this point what I've been gathering is that most of the cars that haven't fallen victim to sludge yet are fine. When I got my 95 last year with almost no service history I dropped the pan and it had obviously already been cleaned out. Still, I wouldn't have peace of mind knowing the propensity of the problem (blown out of proportion or not) if I hadn't checked it myself.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:47 AM   #12
SAAB Road Master

Tboy, that is one gorgeous Aero! Future classic right there and yours is a fine specimen.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:33 PM   #13

Thanks guys for the kind words. I love the aero. It has 260k miles on it and the pictures aren't close enough to show all the rock chips!! Maybe someday it will get a new hood and a repaint.

This aero had been fed synthetic oil all its life and the engine was in wonderful shape. I ended up rebuilding the engine since I had it out to fix the trans and an oil leak on the timing cover.

As luck would have it we found a wrecked 2001 aero that we wanted for the engine. I swapped the entire 2001 interior (which had 87k miles) for my clapped out 260k mile interior!! When I took the center console I actually clean up about a tablespoon of French fry dust!! Those were 260k miles from a working salesman! Hard earned miles.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:09 PM   #14
Elder

That's one clean Aero only 2200, most likely no rust and no sludge ( i think it happens mostly in colder climates due to condensation in the oil...
Anyways OP looks like a good deal

I may take a look at it for my rebuilt engine, cheaper than fixing the dents in my 2000 and you get all the aero goodies...HMMMM
Old 07-21-2015, 12:24 PM   #15
SAABeginner

Ah! I'm not sure why I didn't receive any updates from the forum, thought no one cared enough to respond, haha!

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I didn't end up getting the Aero, the owner was sort of sketchy and wouldn't let me see it.

I'm always on the search for a good Saab but it seems harder to come by in my area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in