99 9-5 Estate ... RPM and Fuel Pump Question - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2015, 05:08 AM   #1
SAABeginner

99 9-5 Estate ... RPM and Fuel Pump Question

Good day all ...

I'm a relatively new (6 months) owner of a 1999 9-5 Estate (2.3T). Love it. I have never owned a car with a turbo nor any vehicle that exudes this kind of quality ($ 31K sticker). I bought for $ 1K with about 185K miles. New tires and good overall maintenance. The only codes I've experienced were something to do with the turbo performance and the Front O2 sensor. I've done the basics .. new O2 Sensor (no code since), new bypass valve (no turbo code since), new SID ribbon cable, new plugs, new fuel filter, new air filter. Clean MAF sensors w/ CRC.

I am experiencing good overall idle ... at an average of 825 RPM. The car does something on occasion (not every day) ... the idle will drop to maybe 550-600 and it feels almost like a 'vapor lock' situation and the car almost stalls. So I'm constantly watching the tach while driving. I want to replace the fuel pump in case that's the prob (and for preventitive maintenance anyway) and maybe the Fuel Pressure Regulator too. I have been watching lots of youtube vids about the pump replacement as well as reading these forums for tips. I can get a Bosch pump (69424) for $ 55.00 via Amazon. Any thought on Bosch vs Delphi vs Walbro vs any others for long trouble-free life? Any thoughts about my occasional drop in RPMs? Do SAABs ever suffer from vapor lock. It has happened on cooler, wet days as well as really hot days. I know I need to pickup a Fuel Pressure Guage somewhere. Many thanks all!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2015, 06:51 AM   #2
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

I don't think I have ever seen a Saab vapor lock. Could the drop in RPMs have anything to do with the A/C being used? Which plugs did you install? I would suggest you replace all the vacuum lines as a precaution too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-30-2015, 08:07 AM   #3
SAABeginner

Thank you .... I wouldn't think vapor lock would be an explanation either ... but that was the problem du'jour when working an all the old Datsuns I used to own. I just replaced with standard NGK (BCPR6ES-11) plugs ... BCPR7ES-11 came out but I experienced this same problem well before the plugs were exchanged. Agreed ... I should probably replace all the vacumm hoses on a car with this many miles.

Excellent thought on the AC ... next time I experience a drop in RPMs, I'll turn off the climate control to see if she normalizes; many thanks.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:26 AM   #4
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Yeah, either OFF or ECON will kill the compressor. Could be perhaps the electronic throttle body beginning to fail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:01 AM   #5
SAABeginner

Thanks Saabeh .... Update: I just installed a new crankshaft position sensor and right away the idle seems more consistent and controlled. Now I don't feel that scary 'about-to-stall' feeling at intersections so I think that was a large part of my problem. I'll still replace the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator as preventative maintenance on this car since she's well advanced in miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in