Considering buying a 92x aero... - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-2X Forum > General 9-2X Posts and Information

General 9-2X Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-2X.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
Elder

Considering buying a 92x aero...

My wife wants a 92x aero, but she is set on her vehicle being an automatic, since all my cars are stick, she wants at least one that is an auto (she can drive stick, just doesn't want that to be the only option). Anyways, Does an automatic make the aero 92x "slow"? Now I realize that it isn't going to be as fast as a 5spd, but how does it hold up to power? Will it hold up to upgrades without breaking?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Jason

1986 Saab 900 Turbo & 1992 Saab 9000 Turbo
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

a friend of mine has a 2004 wrx auto(bad ankle so not comfortable to drive stick) and its plenty quick enuff for him.. off a stoplight its much easier to get the edge and with an auto trans, you dont have to worry about the turbo spooling up again after shifts. you can "flat foot" it thru the gears..i have also owned an awd eclipse with an auto trans and it was a good car to bomb around town in...

turbo cars with auto trannys are kinda fun in my book.. i say go for it
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-07-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
Site Moderator

not too many 9-2x's here... i was *this close* to buying one a couple months ago, but ended up with a 9K Aero instead (simply to avoid a loan).

you'll get a lot more input if you post your question over on http://saab92x.com/. good luck.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I drove an auto wrx a while back and didn't like it at all. The fun was killed by a shitty auto geared for economy. Try it out b4 commiting.

U might want an auto tl or g35 or 9-3 if you go that route. The auto wrx is no fun

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to someguy
The auto in a WRX 2.0 saps all the fun out of it. If she NEEDS a 9-2x aero auto look for an 06. There aren't many, but they are out there. You'll need to look for a while, but the 2.5T is much better then the 2.0.

If you end up with a 2.0T 9-2x, which will be much cheaper then the 2.5, get an acessport and go stage 2 as soon as possible. Stage 2 deals with the turbo lag pretty well.

I love my 9-2x, but she is an 05 Linear Manual.

1999 M3 Cabrio
Old 09-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to mySaab900
personally, I'd get a manual, just cause they are more fun than automatics. But if your wife really wants an a automatic, and the automatics are really good in these I've heard, then go for it. You do want to consider something though, it's just a Subaru WRX wagon, not a real true Saab, so personally I would never buy one, but it's not my purchase. Your decision

'91 Saab c900 N/A (RIP)
'03 Saab 9-3 2.0t Arc
Old 09-17-2010, 08:04 AM   #7
SAAB Road Master

Very rare cars, good luck finding one. It will be easier finding an 05 than and 06. The 2006 had a slightly larger engine with about the same power. There were only a bit over two hundred imported however.

Overall, 9-2's are pretty rare. To date I have only seen one on the road here in central NJ with very few on dealer lots. Hit things like Autotrader and Vehix, that is where I was seeing them but they were always too far.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnanXWD View Post
Very rare cars, good luck finding one. It will be easier finding an 05 than and 06. The 2006 had a slightly larger engine with about the same power. There were only a bit over two hundred imported however.

Overall, 9-2's are pretty rare. To date I have only seen one on the road here in central NJ with very few on dealer lots. Hit things like Autotrader and Vehix, that is where I was seeing them but they were always too far.
Firstly - Aero's were ONLY made in 2005, as all 2006 models has the 2.5L engine, they were n/a Linear models. Still a good car - but one should opt for the turbo IMHO.

There are a good amount of them running around SEPA area - I see a different one at least once every other week or so. There are a few in Bucks County for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mySaab900 View Post
personally, I'd get a manual, just cause they are more fun than automatics. But if your wife really wants an a automatic, and the automatics are really good in these I've heard, then go for it. You do want to consider something though, it's just a Subaru WRX wagon, not a real true Saab, so personally I would never buy one, but it's not my purchase. Your decision
Are you nuts? The SAABARU is the much nicer variant with much better re-sale value then any other Saab - and reliability They are prone to some rust however if not cared for. I agree - Manual = more fun, better MPG's - but the auto's in those cars are pretty good and don't sacrifice much in MPG's.
for your repair needs

Last edited by BurnsSide42; 09-17-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
SAAB Road Master

Sorry but I did pretty extensive shopping and reading about this series.

Aero versions were available in both years with the 2.5 in the Linear in 2005 and the 2.0 turbo in the Aero.

2006 saw a change to 2.5 in the Aero but with only a very modest jump in horsepower. The Linear and Aero both had the 2.5 in this year.

I was holding out for a 2006, low mile, 2.5 Aero but the folks on another site that kind of had focus on this car kind of set me straight and ended my frustration. Basically, I was searching for the proverbial hens tooth with production and import to the US at only slightly above 250 units. I think Canada had about the same number.

I was shocked at the low number and as a former Corvair junkie did a comparison. In 1964 they made like 30,000 units. I probably had a better chance of replacing my 63 Corvair Spyder than I did of finding an 06 Aero.

Last edited by TunnanXWD; 09-17-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:34 PM   #10
SAAB Road Master

Best I could do on the Fuji numbers and I did see a better Saab count that was slightly off but these are close.

Aero MT 1,937 units EAT 1,353 units .... 2.0
Linear MT 1,911 units EAT 2,631 units .... 2.5

Aero MT 235 units EAT 103 units .... 2.5
Linear Mt 463 units EAT 546 units .... 2.5

The Canadian imports were about 30% of the numbers and were not included in the above. I believe the total 06 Aero count for the US was about 400 in the official Saab total but I may be confusing it with North American numbers.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #11
Elder

wow - I was told they never even offered an Aero model for 2006 when I was working at the dealer - neat to know.
for your repair needs
Old 09-17-2010, 09:17 PM   #12
Site Moderator

yeah the 06 Aeros are out there, but as i found in my shopping a few months back, good luck finding one for sale in a 5sp. even the 05 aeros don't seem to last long on the market, especially ones in manual with leather and cold weather pkg.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #13

Here's a bunch....

http://www.craiglook.com/all.html?q=9-2x+aero

Old 09-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #14
SAAB Road Master

Do you really take apart the motor to repair a burnt valve?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #15

Does your wife want a "moddable" car, or do you? haha
Old 03-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #16

Well, if you can even FIND a 9-2X that is. Here in maryland they are as rare as the new 9-4x and 9-5!
I originally wanted a 9-2x base, since it IS a Subaru Impreza. My father (who used to be a saab service manager) works for Subaru, and parts would be a bit more friendly and easy to find. thing is, they either are all aeros or they are automatic slushes.
If you can find one, Best of luck, and at least if you dont opt in for the aero, you can go to your local Subaru dealer to get parts!
Old 03-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #17
Elder

There are quite a few 9-2x's up for sale for great prices here on the vermont craigslist. Aero and not.

These cars (like the Subaru they are) do rust, however.

We have one customer with over 200k on a 9-2x aero auto (05) rusting front fenders and peeling paint but NO major repairs in that time. No headgaskets no tranny nothing.... braKes wheelbearings struts etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in