SQR Tuning in Boston ***UPDATE*** - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Welcome to The Saab Link > Events

Events This forum is for any events thats TSL members should know about. This is left open for all members.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2005, 05:22 PM   #1

SQR Tuning in Boston ***UPDATE***

You heard it here first, but made a more elaborate post elsewhere that I'm reprinting here:

Why all the hubbub, bub? Swedish tuning guru Frank Stromqvist of SQR is coming to the States from March 2 through 9 to upgrade ECUs and perform custom tuning at Automotion Saab and Volvo in Billerica, Mass. He is The Man when it comes to Saab tuning. (No offense intended to our friends at Maptun, BSR, Hirsch, Abbott and Nordic.)

Uh, my Mapquest isn't working. Where's Billerica? Billerica -- say "Bill-rika" and you'll sound like a native -- is about a half-hour northwest of Boston, just south of Lowell and about 25 minutes from any non-polluted beach, which doesn't matter much in March because you'd die of hypothermia if you tried to swim. Automotion is located at 846 Boston Road. Check out www.automotion-saabvolvo.com for more specific info about the shop.

Who's going to be there? Besides Frank, there's Boe and Paul Kalinoski, the father-and-son team who run Automotion and are absolutely fanatical about making lumps of Swedish steel go faster. They're SQR distributors and for yuks, they race 9000 Aeros and NG900s on weekends in various road racing and time trial events. Make sure to check out Boe's Ford V8-powered C900, and his 'Vette-engined Volvo Bertone coupe. Absolutely insane.

Why is this so cool? Sending an ECU over to Frank usually takes about 6 weeks, substantially longer during racing season if Frank is hammered with work as chief tech for Swede Team Motor. http://www.swedeteammotor.com/ Frank comes over to the US maybe once or twice a year, and usually for a weekend as he was last year at Automotion to do some sweet 9000 and 9-5 Aeros. This year seems to be more of an all-comers event and he'll be available to do staged ECUs and custom tuning.

Do I need to empty my 401(k) for this?
Most people are likely to want staged tuning, where you show up with a specific set of mods and you need the ECU tuned to maximize the power from them. This runs about $600, maybe less for previously arranged group buys. If you have unique mods, say a bigger intercooler or a bigger turbo, then you'll probably want custom tuning. That will run about $1,000 to $1,600 depending on what mods you have and what power you want out of your car. (Note: confirm EVERYTHING with Paul. I have no connection to SQR or Automotion and I'm just relaying this info to the broader Saab community.) Check out www.sqr.se to see the tuning stages available.

*** Paul Kalinoski confirms that if your mods aren't in the car, you can bring just the ECU for staged tuning. Some folks had a question about this and I wasn't exactly sure myself.

ALSO: I'm about 15 minutes from Automotion, so I'm going to be hosting a barbecue on that Friday or Saturday. Everyone's welcome; just let me know if you're planning to swing by so my wife and I know how much food to make -- and how much beer to buy!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2005, 06:22 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
you know this sounds like it might be fun just to come and watch . might have to take a ride up there that weekend.

Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-06-2005, 07:36 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I take it you mean the 4th and the 5th?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations

Old 02-06-2005, 07:56 PM   #4
Elder

yeah paul you should come up ill have my car! ill be there almost definetly at this point just gotta find out if i gotta do a deposit for the staged tuning...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:34 PM   #5
Elder

Hey mike just wondering if you work for SQR, because if you don;t you should join there advertising department.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:40 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
I may come up to observe this (I be sure not to bring cash so I won't spend any money)
Old 02-07-2005, 08:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow4_1man
Hey mike just wondering if you work for SQR, because if you don;t you should join there advertising department.
Nope...no connection to SQR at all, other than having gotten my ECU done a couple of months ago (still not installed yet!) No connection to Automotion, other than having attended last year's event and talking at length with Paul and Boe, and taking a ride with Boe in that crazy Volvo. I get nothing from them and nothing is expected....

Interesting sidenote: Apparently the folks at Saabcentral had a problem with that post because they deleted it from the events listing. No reason given, but Ragtopcav told me that since two of the site founders are BSR reps, and Nordic is a site sponsor, they probably couldn't let it stand....

I didn't even bother at Saabnet....

And, Tweek, Paul, Snow, Delorean, etc....barbecue will probably be that Friday night !
Old 02-07-2005, 08:19 AM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

fri meaning the 4th?
Old 02-07-2005, 08:52 AM   #9
Elder

yeah friday is the 4th...i should be there...may stay at my friends in boston....till saturday

Old 02-07-2005, 09:42 AM   #10
dip
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via Skype™ to dip
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders
I didn't even bother at Saabnet....
Jak actually posted an ad in Saabnet classifieds a while ago. But then I'm guessing he paid for it.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:08 AM   #11
Elder

sounds good mike, i have no doubt that it got deleted from saabcentral. Why havent you put the ECU in your car yet? Waiting for parts, did you get a higher stage then you have parts for??? j/k

I only live like hour and half from boston, so this sounds like someting i want to go to. I would love to see how they tune the ECU, as i am not getting one, going with a differnt company, sounds like its fun to watch. RIght now my car still has a hole in the bumper front bumper, i hate driving it like this. Just waiting for the kits to come out befor then. Is the date Fed 4th??? or march 4th???
Old 02-07-2005, 12:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow4_1man
sounds good mike, i have no doubt that it got deleted from saabcentral. Why havent you put the ECU in your car yet? Waiting for parts, did you get a higher stage then you have parts for??? j/k
I'm still putting this car together, and I had to take a break over the summer and most of the fall. Put in all new front bushings, new springs and shocks, swapped in an engine from an 01 9-3 SE, then converted the clutch from mechanical to hydraulic. (what a pain in the ass...ratchet wrenches are essential!)

Next, I have to put in the new oil cooler -- thanks again for that writeup; I'll be asking questions again soon -- and I need to reconnect the fuel lines (still have no clue about how to do that safely). The new turbo flange is getting welded to the manifold, and that should be done in a week or so, then I can bolt up the turbo, then put on the DP and exhaust.....

Once the oil cooler is in, I can connect the new IC...and reconnect all the vacuum lines...and then try to start the damn car!

Of course, I'm hoping to have all this done by March 1st!
Old 02-07-2005, 01:04 PM   #13
Trollerator
Elder

good luck! sounds like you got a few items to take care of, Mike.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 02-07-2005, 01:16 PM   #14
Elder

Wow awesome project Mike I canít want to see the results. NP for the Oil cooler write-up, glad it helped. Tell me more about your car.

What are your expected WHP? What kind of shocks and springs, where did you get them. What oil cooler? Did you get a new turbo what kind, new manifold?? Come on give us details.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:20 PM   #15
Trollerator
Elder

I don't think I ever saw a pic of Mike's car. what color?

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 02-07-2005, 03:11 PM   #16

Y'know...I haven't updated any of the info for a while. D'oh!

The car is a 5-speed Cayenne Red 97 900SE that has 130K miles on the body. 5 speed. I put in an engine from an 01 9-3 SE that had 15K miles. I was told it should be a straight swap, but a bunch of little gremlins cropped up. The tranny housing needed to be ground down, and I had to make a mounting plate out of phenolic plastic to put the old throttle body on the new intake manifold, replacing bushings is a PITA...Lots of stuff like that.....

Mod list:
ENGINE:
* 2001 B205R engine, T5 engine management
* TD04HL-16T/6cm2 from a Volvo S70 T5
* Ported enhaust manifold
* Full JT 3" exhaust, turbo to tailpipe
* Spearco FMIC intercooler (220 cfm)
* Free-flow catalytic converter
* Viggen clutch and pressure plate
* SQR Stage 4 ECU (listed as 291 hp with stock turbo; with the 16T I'm expecting up around 300)

HANDLING:
* Koni sport shocks
* H&R springs
* 22mm rear anti-sway bar
* 6 pt. front subframe brace
* "Squid bar" strut brace rack brace
* Urethane bushings
Old 02-07-2005, 03:32 PM   #17
Elder

Sounds good mike, how is that volvo turbo going to fit? Does it blot up? I had a chance to get a TD04HL-16G-/6cm2 from a 850R but i did not know if it would flow better or not then a viggen turbo, or if it would blot up right. From the looks of it, i can see that it will now. I would consider talking off that white pin stripe on the car, it hink it would look better without it. that car is going to rip when you get it up and running, did you opt for a Atermarket Oil Cooler?
Old 02-07-2005, 03:50 PM   #18

.....The Volvo turbo will need an adapter plate welded to the housing, but you can easily "clock" the turbo so that the exhaust housing and wastegate match up. Clocking the turbo was an all-afternoon affair because you have to remove the thick retaining rings to release the center section. I bought an expensive ring tool at Sears just to find out that one half the price worked better...

Both the housing and the compressor are only one step bigger than the Viggen turbo, so there won't be any problems with lag. The 18T is supposedly really laggy but the boost hits like a hammer. I don't like the thought of replacing clutches every six months, so I opted for something with a smoother spool up. With a big enough IC, I should be able to keep exhaust temps down with the smaller turbo....

I'm thinking about ordering that oil cooler you posted about because the fittings were rusted solid in my old one and I had to cut the lines....When I saw your post, I could finally see the end of the tunnel. You don;t know how hard I looked for a junked one. I called as far away as Arizona and nada....

Is it mounted between the AC condenser and the radiator, or is it in front of the condenser?
Old 02-07-2005, 03:51 PM   #19
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
wait....
so, What's it costing For ECU "flashes" ?
Old 02-07-2005, 04:07 PM   #20
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
TOOO Much. (IMHO)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in