Blacked out mesh grill complete! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > Customizing Your Saab 9000

Customizing Your Saab 9000 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 06:22 AM   #1
SAAB Road Master

Blacked out mesh grill complete!

Thought I might as well knock this out on Sunday. I'm pretty well pleased

BEFORE

AFTER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AeroJ; 04-16-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #2
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Looks nice!

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

not bad. how long did it take you?

Old 04-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #4
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevierSaabOG93 View Post
not bad. how long did it take you?
Took about an hour to separate and cut the slats out, including taking a dremel to the remaining bits where the slats were to smooth things out. After that it was really just spraying, waiting, spraying, waiting..

Compared to the the grill mesh job on my 9-5, this was CAKE. The three-piece grill on the 9-5/9-3 is challenging the first time you do it, because the tolerances for fitment are tiny. Once you get the actual template made it goes quick.

|
Old 04-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Elder

Black Saabs need black grilles. I would probably have done it in gloss, but it looks a lot better than before!

-Jason

1992 Saab 9000 Turbo - Cirrus White
1986 Saab 900 Turbo SPG Clone - Admiral Blue
1992 Saab 900 Base - Talladega Red
Old 04-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuner4life View Post
Black Saabs need black grilles. I would probably have done it in gloss, but it looks a lot better than before!
I dunno..I thought about gloss...but the ones I saw with gloss looked out-of-place a little since it wasn't actually a part of the bumper like on my 9-5. Either way it looks loads better than the chrome. I like the matte finish since it pics up on the matter accents of the car like the rear of the bootlip spoiler, the door handles, the side mouldings. Everyone that has seen it so far has really commented that they love the matte finish above all. To each his own I guess!

Cheers!

|
Old 04-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I also have it done the same as you except i took the middle bar out and the mesh is silver. Plastidip ftw.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:14 AM   #8
Elder

I did my grille gloss black with super fine screen door mesh on my 1994 CDE. It looked surprisingly good! I think black is the only color that looks good with a matched grille.

-Jason

1992 Saab 9000 Turbo - Cirrus White
1986 Saab 900 Turbo SPG Clone - Admiral Blue
1992 Saab 900 Base - Talladega Red
Old 04-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #9

I like the fine mesh grille on your CDE, I did my grille in silver, removed the middle bar, and used black plastic rain gutter guard. Looks pretty good, Ill have to uploaded a picture. BTW AeroJ your Aero is really looking awesome! I need to get a front vanity plate for my car soon.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #10
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanatic17 View Post
BTW AeroJ your Aero is really looking awesome!
Thanks bro! As soon as these Konis arrive, it's goin' DOWN. Literally. They are on the slow boat from Holland :-/

In the meantime, window tint is going on and a short shifter, and I'm done....Well maybe spacers for the rear. Oh yeah and the SAS sway bar kit. Man this is always how it goes huh

|
Old 04-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #11

I know what you mean bub, starts out as a "oh I'm just gonna get it a little spiffed up for daily driving" and before you know it, bam a 1000 dollars just disappeared. So what percentage window tint you thinking about? In your Super Aero thread I posted some pics of my CS that has 35 percent on all the windows. I can post more with that percentage if you like, I have 20 on my Aero side windows and 5 on the rear and you can't see shit in or out of that. So if you like being able to see at night where poles are, don't do 5 on the rear. Aero bumpers are hard to come by when you need one. Oh and can't wait to see your car lowered. I might soon be lowering my CS!
Old 04-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #12
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
So what percentage window tint you thinking about?..... Oh and can't wait to see your car lowered. I might soon be lowering my CS!
Well, my 9-5 has 20% all around which I love, but the cops around here are becoming bastards about pulling people over because of tint. I'm thinking of just going with 35% on the 9000 just so I don't get hassled. Man I am so ready to lower this thing. I called today and they said 3-4 more weeks on the Konis. Lemme get the Aero sitting right and yours is next!

Cheers!

|
Old 04-21-2012, 06:47 AM   #13
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

any picture's of a c9000 grille with the center bar cut out ?
Old 04-22-2012, 06:32 AM   #14

Is your 9-5 a wagon or sedan? Cool idea would be to do your rear hatch window on your 9000 20 percent and get all the other ones 35 percent. You won't notice they are different shades cause the newer 9000s don't have the little side window anymore and it would keep the fronts looking darker and if the cops pull you over and test it, it will be legit legal. Cause its not like they are going to test your rear window.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #15
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Is your 9-5 a wagon or sedan? Cool idea would be to do your rear hatch window on your 9000 20 percent and get all the other ones 35 percent. You won't notice they are different shades cause the newer 9000s don't have the little side window anymore and it would keep the fronts looking darker and if the cops pull you over and test it, it will be legit legal. Cause its not like they are going to test your rear window.
Sedan:

Yeah you're right about doing the back window 20% and the rest 35%. They can't really check the back window Good idea!

|
Old 04-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #16

Nice 9-5, what year is that? Yeah I mean technically if the cop was really ambitions he could check your rear window but you could just tell him your trunk doesn't open and he wouldn't wanna crawl around there. Idk it worked for me like the 4 times I was pulled over for tint on my Aero, only once I was ticketed and that was because I wasn't wearing my seat belt.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #17
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Nice 9-5, what year is that? Yeah I mean technically if the cop was really ambitions he could check your rear window but you could just tell him your trunk doesn't open and he wouldn't wanna crawl around there. Idk it worked for me like the 4 times I was pulled over for tint on my Aero, only once I was ticketed and that was because I wasn't wearing my seat belt.
It's a 2003 Aero, but I swapped out the front bumper and fogs for the 2004/2005 Aero bumper, which was unique to those two years only. That car is my heart man! I got the 9000 Aero as a daily driver, but it's so nice that it's quickly moving up in the ranks.

Yeah I hear ya. I'm trying to not give a reason to get pulled over for ANYTHING. I prefer no interactions with law enforcement. Ever.

Cheers!

|
Old 04-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroJ View Post
It's a 2003 Aero, but I swapped out the front bumper and fogs for the 2004/2005 Aero bumper, which was unique to those two years only. That car is my heart man! I got the 9000 Aero as a daily driver, but it's so nice that it's quickly moving up in the ranks.

Yeah I hear ya. I'm trying to not give a reason to get pulled over for ANYTHING. I prefer no interactions with law enforcement. Ever.

Cheers!
Mmmhmm, same with me my newly purchased 9000 CS has been moving up too, you take really good care of your 9-5 man. I think when I finally stop being stubborn and move onto NG Saabs I'm prolly gonna get a 9-5 cause its basically the replacement for the 9000 right?
Old 04-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #19
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Mmmhmm, same with me my newly purchased 9000 CS has been moving up too, you take really good care of your 9-5 man. I think when I finally stop being stubborn and move onto NG Saabs I'm prolly gonna get a 9-5 cause its basically the replacement for the 9000 right?
Yep its the replacement. TOTALLY different car than the 9000. In many ways, the 9-5 is an improvement, but the 9000 is a true SAAB inside and out. Don't even bother getting a 9-5 if it's not an Aero, seriously. The base models are a joke. GM's influence was really starting to show, particularly in 2004 when they starting removing standard features.

Cheers!

|
Old 04-23-2012, 08:13 AM   #20

True bro, did they make wagon Aeros? I really know nothing of of post-GM Saabs other than that the 9-7 is a trailblazer. I think i would want a red wagon in stick. Kinda a dream ride, what is your favorite year 9-5? A 2003 since you say they started getting cheap with them after that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in