HOW TO: upgrade your lighting - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > Customizing Your Saab 9000

Customizing Your Saab 9000 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
Elder

HOW TO: upgrade your lighting

ok so on a tip from mcrowley, and finally being fed up with not being able to see anything at night (it was so bad that when it rained i couldnt even tell if more than my fogs were on) i finally got around to this.

the main point here is that your swapping the stock low beam which is a 9006 bulb for a 9005 bulb (which is used for high beams).

9005 (left) vs 9006 (right)

not a great picture, but you might be able to see that in the 9006 there is an alignment tab for the plug.

here you can see that the 9005 has two tabs inside instead of 1. so after about 5 minutes with a dremel, youou can have them ground down. Once this is done the plug will glide right in, and the bulb fits in the stock mounting point always (that should be obvious since its just a stock high beam bulb anyway.

so heres a heads on shot (drivers side has the 9005, passenger side is a 9006 at this point)

individual shots

drivers side

passenger side

you can really see the difference here

yes, the new bulb looks as yellow as the stock halogen, and that is because due to the driving conditions i see, and my eyes having issues with lighting at night, i went with Narva all weather bulbs, they match my fogs too.

Rallylights.com gets a thumbsup from me, got these here in 2 days, and the prices were great also.

hope this helps some of you out. i will try and get some night shots tonight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2007, 09:30 AM   #2
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Wow, that is a difference!
Old 12-21-2007, 09:34 AM   #3
Elder

Another thing you can do is locate the round resistor on both front wheel wells. Disconect is and jump the two wires togather. The resistor is in there to lower the out put of your low beams when the high beams are on. It won't help with your low beams but it does help on high.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 12-21-2007, 09:46 AM   #4
Elder

any more detail on that?

my dads being a dork too, claims putting these bulbs in the low beam spot will cause issues with the relay. i do not agree, and i dont believe mike has had any issues whatsoever with this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:49 AM   #5
Elder

I'll see if Ican get a picture of the resister. The one on the driver side is easy to see, it look like a round white ceramic doughnut with two wires plugged into it.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:50 AM   #6
Elder

Mm. I like doughnuts.

Also, sweet write-up. Wish I could do this for my 9-3

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 12-21-2007, 10:19 AM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by codesplice View Post
Mm. I like doughnuts.

Also, sweet write-up. Wish I could do this for my 9-3
ill have a review on a 9-3 upgrade on xmas day, got my dad some piaa i think xenon +30's (from rallylights too)

Old 12-21-2007, 10:23 AM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
ill have a review on a 9-3 upgrade on xmas day, got my dad some piaa i think xenon +30's (from rallylights too)
I had those. Great lights, illuminated stuff really well.

Lasted 4 months. :-/ Not worth it for the monies.

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 12-21-2007, 10:23 AM   #9
Elder

i actually think this is a nice pic too lol

Old 12-21-2007, 10:24 AM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by codesplice View Post
I had those. Great lights, illuminated stuff really well.

Lasted 4 months. :-/ Not worth it for the monies.
damn that sux...they were like 30 for a set so oh well..plus anything will be better than whats in there.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:25 AM   #11
Elder

Quote:
damn that sux...they were like 30 for a set so oh well..plus anything will be better than whats in there.
For serious? Maybe those weren't the PIAA's I had then. I got those as a gift... they were like $65 for the pair

Lemme know how those work out

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 12-21-2007, 10:34 AM   #12
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Hiker
Quite a difference. Looks great!

Sit Nomine Digna
Old 12-21-2007, 11:09 AM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Quote:

my dads being a dork too, claims putting these bulbs in the low beam spot will cause issues with the relay. i do not agree, and i dont believe mike has had any issues whatsoever with this.
You won't have any problems.

I've had the same thing in both headlights of my 9k since I've owned it (2.5 years)...till I switched to e-codes.

My 95 CSE I also used the same thing...3 years, no issues. Wattage shouldn't be a problem since its only 65w vs 55w. $10 well spent.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:19 AM   #14
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Stuck.

Marty, if you could come up with a picture of that resistor, that would be 100% awesome.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:35 AM   #15
Elder

Where can you buy these? Also do people flash you as to say turn off your f'in high beams?
Old 12-21-2007, 12:17 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to saabsbreakdown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadenais View Post
Where can you buy these? Also do people flash you as to say turn off your f'in high beams?
they are still aimed the same as the low beams were. any light beam shaping would come from the lens anyway rather than the bulb.

Car 178 - 1975 Saab 99 EMS

Old 12-21-2007, 12:48 PM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadenais View Post
Just go to the auto parts store (or anyplace you'd get bulbs) and get 2x 9005. Same exact thing thats in the hi-beam sockets on your car.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:42 PM   #18
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabsbreakdown View Post
they are still aimed the same as the low beams were. any light beam shaping would come from the lens anyway rather than the bulb.
The reflector also plays a significant part. I have had no lens (just packing tape) on my e-code passenger headlight for a few weeks, and the pattern is still much better than the original DOT approved lights.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:45 PM   #19
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabsbreakdown View Post
actually if you look at the 9006 bulb it has the odd cap on it. im not sure it plays a role in beam, but i think it may.

i just drove in the dark with this, and its 100x better than before, allowed me to see that my beams are actually way off aiming wise, so it will only get better once i fix that.

this is definetly well worth it.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:51 PM   #20
Elder

Here is a picture of the resistor. There is only one mounted on the drivers fender well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in