HOW TO: upgrade your lighting - Page 2 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > Customizing Your Saab 9000

Customizing Your Saab 9000 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2007, 03:16 PM   #21
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to spgdude
Sweet I'm going to have to try jumping that resistor. Ive been running the high beams in the low beam sockets on every 9K I've had. A little tip is to actually modify the plug for the bulbs rather than the bulbs themselves. That way you don't have to mess around with modding the bulbs each time one burns out.
09' 9-5 SportCombi 5mt Stg1
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2007, 08:42 PM   #22
Elder

Send a message via AIM to JLausch
Hmm nice writeup, the only way the lack of coating on the bulbs tip would be an issue is if theres no shield in front of bulb (in the housing) in which case the light would shine out and create a dazzling effect. Also phillips makes a bulb called the xtreme vision (very white, not a ricer blue color) that i have for my 9k e-codes (h4) thats supposed to be plus 80%, but the lights aren't in the car yet so i donno.
'01 Viggen (sold)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-21-2007, 09:45 PM   #23
Elder

im gonna look into jumping that resistor tomorrow...ill report back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:01 PM   #24
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
So thats what that thing is

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:37 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to spgdude
You know if they got rid of this for 1997? Im pretty sure they did but not positive.
09' 9-5 SportCombi 5mt Stg1
Old 01-15-2008, 02:19 AM   #26
Elder

i didnt see the little resiston on my 95 either btw.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #27
Elder

all this time and i never posted a good shot of the output. heres the lows plus fogs.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:51 PM   #28
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to chriscam84 Send a message via Skype™ to chriscam84
I ran that mod on my CSE for 2+ years, both the resister and the 9005/6 mod with no problems. My light output was great (especially the low-beam improvement) and I never got high-beamed by other drivers with that setup either. I get more people flicking their highs at me with the HIDs on my Aero, and yes, they're pointed correctly... people just assume that I'm an asshat because I can afford to drive a car with purple headlights.

FWIW, the jumper-relay mod for the 9-5 with the HIDs is amazing... BEST high beam output from a stock setup... EVER!

2002 9-5 Aero JZW 5+
1999 9-3 Turbo
1995 900SE Turbo Convertible Nordic Stg II
1995 900S Convertible
Old 03-22-2008, 07:35 AM   #29
Elder

So what exactly do you have to do with that resistor by the battery? Jump the two wires connecting to it?

Old 03-22-2008, 07:37 AM   #30
Elder

i never got that far on the 9k.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:40 AM   #31

A little late on this post but..... two different resistor types - one mounted on drivers side fenderwell inside the engine compartment, one mounted outside the fenderwell (driver's side again). According to the wiring schematics, the resistor is only present in cars without DRL's. However, my 95 Aero had DRL's (since deleted) and has this resistor. More useless weight to remove ! You cabn see the blue connector in the third shot - probably the easiest way is to jumper the two terminals on the end of that cable (where it attaches to the resistor).
Another thing which will help with the headlights is to use wiring from the ground post behind either headlight directly to the negative side of the battery. In the third shot, you can see the ground post towards the upper left -
the headlights are grounded directly to that post, and the heavy cable runs to the negative terminal. A copper wire ( I actually use marine cable) beats a frame ground any day !

Last edited by LarryM; 09-05-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:26 PM   #32
Elder

So Larry I'm still somewhat confused on what exactly you did with which one of those resistors. I supposed it'd probably make more sense if I was looking at my car...

Old 07-28-2008, 05:19 AM   #33

There's actually just one resistor - they switched from the internal mount to the external mount after S1010397. The older style was easy to see - just forward of the relay box on the fender well.
The blue connector has two wires that run to the resistor - you could open the connector, and short the pins together. The pins are very small - so the better method is to cut the wires on the harness side, solder them together, and use heat shrink to seal the connection.
For me, an additional bonus was a place to mount my horns - since my oil cooler is now where the horns used to be located ......

Last edited by LarryM; 09-05-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:32 PM   #34

I just did this wow what an improvement

Old 08-07-2008, 12:51 PM   #35
Elder

It took me this long to do but I did it and even in my garage during the day I could see a big difference. Dremel once again earns its keep.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:52 PM   #36

edit: I was stupid http://stores.channeladvisor.com/aut...itemid=8615776 to blue? When they say 5k is that the same temp as a HID. All the bimmer guys claim that anything over 5k is to blue.

Last edited by aeroboost; 09-24-2008 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:04 PM   #37
SAABeginner

Another vote of confidence for this mod; 5 minutes and 20 bucks well spent.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:38 PM   #38
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Any word on this for a 900/9-3?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 10-07-2008, 07:03 PM   #39

im gonna try and do this mod this weekend, my stock lows let me see mabye 20 feet in front of me its awful.

Amateurs.

2000 9tree
Old 10-08-2008, 11:07 PM   #40

I have the Narva 100w bulbs in mine its a good improvement too !

1992 9000 CS Nocturne Blue
Daily driver :318i BMW

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in