HID Projector retrofit - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > Customizing Your Saab 9000

Customizing Your Saab 9000 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Chadwick
HID Projector retrofit

Hey everyone,

Well, I've got a spare set of CSE headlights on my hands that I'm willing to chop up. I'd like to retrofit some HID projectors into them. This presents a lot of issues, and I'll be honest, I don't know that much about HID stuff... but I'm getting ready to finish up the engine work with Stage 6 and I've yet to do a single exterior modification to the car. I think this would be a cool thing to do and would look pretty good, plus even with ecodes I haven't been able to find lighting that I like.

I met someone at soc that had a 9-3 with projectors, and the lowering and raising spoiler... I sold you that td04 rebuild kit... I forget your online name. You mentioned some of the difficulties and aiming issues, but if you could chime in that would be great.

So has anyone done this with a 9k? Any advice?

Take care
-Chad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
I've yet to see a 9k with them. If there are any that have it done your most likely going to see it on garaget.org or on any of the swedish forums.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-09-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
Elder

if you do it you will need to makea whole new lens for the light, because you cant have a dot scatter pattern infront of a projector.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:00 PM   #4

Yeah I had taken the lens issue into consideration. I'm not really too concerned on the cost, but I'm not even sure who could make that for me. If anyone knows anyone let me know. This project is going to get costly, but hopefully the outcome will make it worth it.

I may put this off and use the cash I have in my car account to get a tube header made for the GT30 I've got kicking around. The td04 19T is okay, but for a true stage 6 I'm going to have to go bigger. I've got 2 grand set aside for a scanwest racing tranny and I don't want to have to break into those funds to finish off the money for the tube header, so the HID project is just what I can afford right now.

-Chad
Old 10-09-2007, 03:27 PM   #5
Elder

wait on the rumored 6 speed gearset that should be coming soon...

Old 10-09-2007, 04:11 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Who needs projector HIDs. Save your $ for the inevitable trans failure

Old 10-09-2007, 04:20 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Rumor? Where did you see/read about a 6spd 9k gearset?

Old 10-09-2007, 04:32 PM   #8

Hm.... 6 speed gearset? That should be interesting, but I don't know how I'd feel about it. The only way I'd really be interested it was the current gearing plus another gear. I've lined up with a 91 before and the two are about even because the 91 pulls ahead, but has to shift instantly because of the narrow gearing. It would take very fine ratio changing, maybe just making 4th and 5th a little shorter.

-Chad
Old 10-09-2007, 06:23 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Saaboy Send a message via MSN to Saaboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadwick View Post
Hm.... 6 speed gearset? That should be interesting, but I don't know how I'd feel about it. The only way I'd really be interested it was the current gearing plus another gear.

-Chad
x20

Old 10-09-2007, 06:32 PM   #10
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

It was trollspeed who had put some projectors into his saab.

I've got a set of bixenons from an E90 that I want to put in as well. I've experimented with grinding the glass flutes out of the headlight with good sucess. Its messy though. I need a spare headlight lens to actually work on though and I would give it a shot and write up more.

If I were going to aim them well (the pj's) I would remove the headlight from the car and mount it in a fixture, and fire it up and trace the light pattern on a wall or something. Then I would install my projector (your own way whatever) and then see if that lined up with thetrace you made. Then it should be darn close, and the stock aiming equipment should be able to fine tune you in.

I would not go forward with this project unless I could get that fluted lens out of the way. It just doesent seem worth it to me to have projector lighting be screwed up by some fluted lens. I know troll speed feels the same way, and he is working on getting rid of the flutes (but I will let him tell you what he is doing if he wants).

Tboy
Old 10-11-2007, 07:38 AM   #11

Is this what you want???

BMW E36 projectors

No need to replace the lenses. Take them off and take them to a glass shop, they could grind off the lines and polish them for you. It won't be very cheap but much cheaper than making new lenses and they'll fit better too.

And the guy tou're talking about is Chris AKA Troll_speed

Last edited by hkayssi; 10-11-2007 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:03 AM   #12
SAAB Road Master

I believe Troll is the guys online name. he has the electric rear 93 spoiler with HIDs.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:19 AM   #13
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkayssi View Post
Is this what you want???

BMW E36 projectors

No need to replace the lenses. Take them off and take them to a glass shop, they could grind off the lines and polish them for you. It won't be very cheap but much cheaper than making new lenses and they'll fit better too.

And the guy tou're talking about is Chris AKA Troll_speed
I was going to do the E36 mod.... In due time. I was going to use these housings. Angel eyes, e-codes, and black housings.

Last edited by zingZACH; 10-11-2007 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
Rumor? Where did you see/read about a 6spd 9k gearset?
Its being talked about on saab central. $3000 dollars but it is designed to handle alot of torque.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:24 AM   #15
Elder

How expensive/ time consuming would it be to buff out the pattern on the inside to make it smooth?, Similar to what tboy? did on removing the lettering from his tail lights.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:29 AM   #16
Elder

What about making a mold of the lense cover and then smoothing it out and then getting a lexan cover made from that mold? Or would the lexan not be able to hold up to the heat generated by the lights?

Old 10-11-2007, 09:30 AM   #17
Elder

Quote:
What about making a mold of the lense cover and then smoothing it out and then getting a lexan cover made from that mold? Or would the lexan not be able to hold up to the heat generated by the lights?
Thought about that too, are there companies that do that?

Old 10-11-2007, 10:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Well, many OEM headlights use Lexan/Polycarbonate for the front cover on their free-form reflector headlights. So, I don't think heat is an issue. Lexan has an upper working temperature of 130C, about 266F. I would think that this is below the level of most automotive headlight interiors, not to mention it's being cooled by ambient temperature on the outside. It doesn't lose stability until 150C, about 300F.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:10 AM   #19
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red DIC View Post
Thought about that too, are there companies that do that?
Well there are companies that make lexan replacement windows for cars that are race/show prepped. Shouldn't be that much harder to make a duplicate smooth lense to replace the scatter pattern lense. You'd just have to make the mold and send it to them I would assume.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:11 AM   #20
Elder

Quote:
Well there are companies that make lexan replacement windows for cars that are race/show prepped. Shouldn't be that much harder to make a duplicate smooth lense to replace the scatter pattern lense. You'd just have to make the mold and send it to them I would assume.
Nahum, I see a project for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in