Installing an aftermarket head unit in 2000 9-3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Customizing Your NG900 or old 9-3

Customizing Your NG900 or old 9-3 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Installing an aftermarket head unit in 2000 9-3

Hi guys,
Totally new to this whole forum thing so bear with me... Anyway I am in the process of installing an aftermarket stereo system in my 2000 9-3 2.0T with standard transmission. The install is going quite well and I am just about ready to button up the panels I removed in the process etc, but I ran into a problem. I am installing a Kenwood DNX-570HD head unit and I found several tutorials on the web on how to install it and get it all hooked up. The head unit has an input for a back-up cam which i purchased and ran all the wires for and such... Here's the problem: I want to hook the camera up to a switch so that it will turn on when I shift into reverse AND when I flip the switch regardless of what gear I'm in. To do this I need to know where the wire that gives the reverse lights power is located up front (as in inside the dash). There has to be some wire in that huge cluster that has power when I shift into reverse, right? I would just run a wire to the reverse light itself and tap in there, but there is no way to physically fit another wire in the conduit that the wires go through from the trunk to the trunk lid. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2014, 04:30 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Should be a sensor right on the shifter to tap into. I'd maybe pull the trim around it off and look. That's how it was on a Nissan Altima I installed a Pioneer headunit with back up camera in.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #3
SAAB Road Master

There is no switch on the gearshift in these cars. The wire that powers the backup lights runs underneath the driver's side doorsill. In the NG900, it's a completely white wire, and the only one in the bundle that's that color. I'd assume that the 9-3 uses a white wire, too. I couldn't ever find it in the dashboard, so I tapped into it under the sill and ran a wire through the dashboard. I needed one for my auto-dimming mirror. It shuts off the dimming function when you put the car in reverse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dash, harness, reverse, wire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in