Push-button start - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Customizing Your NG900 or old 9-3

Customizing Your NG900 or old 9-3 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2005, 10:58 AM   #1
Elder

Push-button start

So last night after work (I work as a valet when I'm not being a student - people pay me to drive their cars - rock on), I installed a push-button starter in my car, thanks to trexturk's instructions. It was actually a lot of fun, sitting in the parking lot at my campus residence hall, yanking wires out of the center console. A couple of the campus cops kept driving by and giving me some rather harsh looks.

So now, to start the car, you put the key in, turn it to on, and hit the pretty red button. Totally useless, but a relatively-unique mod that's just plain cool. And I've got an extra button sitting around (I bought a pack of two), so I'm thinking about rigging up a NOS button... not a NOS system, just a button. Maybe I can rig it up to the windshield washer sprayer things... "Come on, spray!!!!" In the end, it's all about safety. Safety and NOS.

Hehe...

But seriously, it's a pretty cool mod. And hopefully, it'll throw off some fellow valets if they ever park my car. *evil cackle*

-John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2005, 11:03 AM   #2
Editor
Elder

Show some pictures of the install! Let me see what the button looks like.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-10-2005, 11:06 AM   #3
Elder

I'd love to... but my camera seems to have died I'm gonna try to pick up a decent cheap digital camera in the next few weeks - anyone have any recommendations for what would give the most bang for the buck?

I can tell you where I mounted it, though. Just to the left of the ignition switch, there's like an oval blank. I just used a knife to drill a hole through that, and put the button there. I think it's a pretty logical location.

And I was too lazy to take off the dash to get to the other blanks

-John

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 09-11-2005, 05:45 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
i used turks install too

click my "www"
Old 09-11-2005, 05:54 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
That's an interesting mod to do when I'm bored. I'm glad to know that Tan's instructions are clear to people that have actually opened up the console to see the wires. I know that they're a good resource and are accurate now.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:30 PM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to trexturk
Glad to see the instructions are pretty easy to follow.
Later
Old 09-11-2005, 06:36 PM   #7

Old 09-11-2005, 06:54 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
Oh come on mike, where's your sense of fun in being frivolous?
Old 09-11-2005, 07:01 PM   #9

Ahhh, ok.

maybe something like this:

Old 09-11-2005, 10:01 PM   #10
Elder

Okay, time for an update on my quest to confuse fellow valets...

So I went back in yesterday and cut the starter wire going to the ignition switch (the one that I tapped into for my button), so now you HAVE to use the button to start the car. Put the key in, turn it to on, and press the button. If you try to turn the key, nothing happens. And the button is right next to the ignition, but many people wouldn't think to press it.

I'm sure you're all wondering, "Does it work? Does it truly confuse valets?"

Yes indeed. I drove to a restaurant that some fellow valets park at. I've only been on the job for two weeks, so only a few of the other valets know me... this one didn't. I acted like a decent customer, and had him park my car. Went into the restaurant, greeted the bartender, and walked back out. Hand the valet my ticket, he scampers off to the lot to grab my car. He then walks back nervously, "Umm... I think your car is broken..."

I look at him like he's crazy, and we walk towards the valet lot. "Haven't you ever driven a Saab?" I ask as I get in the car, turn the key, hit the button, and the engine turns over like a pro.

He turned beet red, and then I introduced myself and told him I was just messing with him. Threw him a decent tip for good measure and drove home quite pleased.

*evil cackle*

Now I still need to figure out where to put the NOS buttons

-John

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 09-12-2005, 05:07 PM   #11
TSLMember

I did this about a month or two ago with a Honda S2000 starter button the installation looks pretty clean. I put it where the lighter used to be. I'll post a pic when I get my camera back.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:21 PM   #12
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to danthegolfer
yeah i thoughtabout doin this, but it just seems sooo pointless lol. cuz its not like ur gonna just leave ur car with the keys in it in hte ON posistion anytime at all, whether it be overnight sitting in ur garage or at work. but maybe if i get real bored some day in the near future, ill do it.

Completed Mods:
Dual XD-7500 head unit, GenuineSaab Sport Intake Pipe and 22mm Rear Sway Bar, Optima Redtop, 2 Rockford Fosgate P2 12\" Subs in Rockford sealed box, powered by a Rockford Punch 200aIV amp running off Rockford Fosgate 8 Gauge Wiring kit, 3 way Pioneer 6x9 rear speakers
Old 09-12-2005, 05:42 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
yeah its mostly pointless but
why not
$3 and i was extremely bord!
i used it all the time like 1st 3 months now i forget its there...
hehe
Old 10-10-2005, 09:58 AM   #14
Elder

There was some talk a while back about how the push-button starter would work if the car stalled out. Well, for reasons I still haven't discovered, I let a cute girl (maybe that's the reason...) drive my car last night. And she stalled out. So, the question was, if the car stalls, do you have the turn the key to off, then back to ON, and then push the button?

The answer: No. Car stalls, just press the button, it starts right up.

Many Bothans died to bring us this information...

-John

2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 10-10-2005, 10:21 AM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
ahh yes that cute girl effect......I'll teach you how to drive stick shift hehe oh wait...sorry
04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 10-10-2005, 02:22 PM   #16
Elder

Quote:
ahh yes that cute girl effect......I'll teach you how to drive stick shift hehe oh wait...sorry Laughing
HAHAHA

I was looking at the directions on cardomain page, would it be pretty much the same thing for a 9000?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in