Problem with HID lights :/ - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Customizing Your NG900 or old 9-3

Customizing Your NG900 or old 9-3 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2009, 08:12 PM  
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to 2legit2quit
Problem with HID lights :/

Got a set of 35w 8k HID lights from the girlfriend. Set them up today and all went well, then night time fell and unfortunatly i decide to throw on the high beams and the lights shut off I have the DLR lights turned off so that the lights are controlled by the knob, and when i turn on the high beams the headlights shut off but the orange lights stay on and the tail lights say stay on But then when i turn the high beams off my headlights turn on.

Any suggestions, i read that i need to hook my ballast up to the headlight relay? Anyone with HIDs wanna chime in.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2009, 08:23 PM  
Elder

sounds like you only have a lo beam kit not a hi/lo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-26-2009, 08:44 PM  
Ero
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit View Post
Got a set of 35w 8k HID lights from the girlfriend. Set them up today and all went well, then night time fell and unfortunatly i decide to throw on the high beams and the lights shut off I have the DLR lights turned off so that the lights are controlled by the knob, and when i turn on the high beams the headlights shut off but the orange lights stay on and the tail lights say stay on But then when i turn the high beams off my headlights turn on.

Any suggestions, i read that i need to hook my ballast up to the headlight relay? Anyone with HIDs wanna chime in.
lol firstly you're gonna get loooooooootsa shit for using HIDs. Here not so much but if you're on saabcentral, be ready for it.
secondly, there can be two issues that I can think of

1) you only have a low beam H4 kit
2) your orange lamp relay is starting to go, as they all eventually do. Lotsa used working ones to be had in the for sale section for not a lot of money.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:07 PM  

think i only got a low beam kit, the guy at the shop was closing, so he left the HIds in a hidden spot so i could get them today, and he accidently set out 6ks instead of the 8ks i ordered so im thinking this 6k kit is a low beam only kit since my high beams have neevr had a problem till just 2 hours ago when they wouldnt work
Old 12-27-2009, 08:01 AM  
Elder

Send a message via AIM to JLausch
First off, anything over 4300k actually produces less light and isn't great for your visibility (or others for that matter, plus IMO look slightly distasteful), but anyway. If you look at the bulb, there should be a shield that rotates if its a bi-xenon kit (i'm assuming this is just a pnp, not a projector retrofit), if the shield is fixed, its low only, also you can tell by looking at the wiring, if the only wiring going into the light are the power wires (2) for the bulb from the ballast, then your looking at low only, bi's will have a trigger wire thats activated with the high beams to move the shield.
'01 Viggen (sold)
Old 12-27-2009, 05:16 PM  

Thank you for clearing that up^ back to the shop i go
Old 03-19-2012, 09:01 PM  
SAABeginner

i installed on my saab and i the kit is working perfectly. I think you need a better quality hid conversion kit. I do own a shop and many customers comes to install hid kit's. The best hid kit that work perfectly on ALL cars on the markets is the canbus 55w. i Strongly recommand you to get one of this kit. I recommand a website to my customers. they all buy from them and no one have any issue. if someone want the link to know where to buy canbus ballast hid kit..... let me know.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:31 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by inematov View Post
i installed on my saab and i the kit is working perfectly. I think you need a better quality hid conversion kit. I do own a shop and many customers comes to install hid kit's. The best hid kit that work perfectly on ALL cars on the markets is the canbus 55w. i Strongly recommand you to get one of this kit. I recommand a website to my customers. they all buy from them and no one have any issue. if someone want the link to know where to buy canbus ballast hid kit..... let me know.
dude it's a 3 yr old thread. push your products elsewhere.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:02 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by inematov View Post

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'01 9-3 Vert Stg 2/e85

Quote:
dont make me photoshop a dick in your mouth
Old 06-09-2012, 03:17 PM  
SAABeginner

went to garage today, headlight out, new $100 xenon bulb hid...still not working, fuses r okay..retailer told me to check the ballast, where on the 2004 saab 9-5 is the passenger side ballast..i read wat their for and it sounds like it mite be the problem, on that paticular fuse, the indicator lite was very low, showing low voltage....???? anyone plz??
Old 06-09-2012, 03:29 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdepp45 View Post
went to garage today, headlight out, new $100 xenon bulb hid...still not working, fuses r okay..retailer told me to check the ballast, where on the 2004 saab 9-5 is the passenger side ballast..i read wat their for and it sounds like it mite be the problem, on that paticular fuse, the indicator lite was very low, showing low voltage....???? anyone plz??

corect me if im wrong but isnt the ballast the metal box that the bulb gets pluged into?

2002 saab 9-5 JZW STAGE 5
2001viggen 5 door
2000 saab 9-3 vert jzw stage 5
sold parted out
1972 nova 396 BB

2008 LINCOLN MKX ELITE

Old 06-11-2012, 02:05 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdepp45 View Post
A. Welcome, try the 9-5 section, not the 9-3.

B. Yea, your ballast probably shit the bed. Swap the driver's side ballast over and plug it in, if the bulb fires up then you've got your answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALDSAAB View Post
corect me if im wrong but isnt the ballast the metal box that the bulb gets pluged into?
Yup.

'01 9-3 Vert Stg 2/e85

Quote:
Old 06-11-2012, 02:47 PM  

Yup.[/QUOTE]

YUP wrong or am i right? it's been a while since I had to change one

2002 saab 9-5 JZW STAGE 5
2001viggen 5 door
2000 saab 9-3 vert jzw stage 5
sold parted out
1972 nova 396 BB

2008 LINCOLN MKX ELITE

Old 06-11-2012, 08:59 PM  

Quote:

YUP wrong or am i right? it's been a while since I had to change one
Your right

Quote:
Now the Car Gods @ DOT are gunna come Smack your PE PEE
Old 06-12-2012, 02:52 PM  

Quote:
Yup.
YUP wrong or am i right? it's been a while since I had to change one[/QUOTE]

Sorry, yes you're right.

'01 9-3 Vert Stg 2/e85

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
headlights, hid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in