Window tinting - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Customizing Your NG900 or old 9-3

Customizing Your NG900 or old 9-3 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Window tinting

looking into getting my black 1999 93 SE tinted. but i was wondering what the different tint percentages would look like on our cars first! post some pictures of your tints if possible and the percentage. also any other info would be greatly appreciated.

- Andrew
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
Elder

all are 35%

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-05-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by acf101 View Post
looking into getting my black 1999 93 SE tinted. but i was wondering what the different tint percentages would look like on our cars first! post some pictures of your tints if possible and the percentage. also any other info would be greatly appreciated.

- Andrew
I don't have any tint on my Saabs, and eventually I want to as well.
But in PA - you have to worry about tint, cops, at least in my area are very prone to stopping people for tint.

I think about 25% would be fine, and not really that noticeable. For PA, FMVSS 205 says...state law only allows window tinting that permits 70% or more light to transmit through the window."

Old 07-05-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
Elder

haha, 70% is nothing. I think that is for the front windows only, otherwise basically all of the cars sold from the dealer with privacy glass would be illegal.

I photoshopped what 35% would look like on my car:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Old 07-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
Old 07-05-2009, 08:30 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

he is right 70% is the limit on ALL windows in pa. sorta sucks. for suvs, trucks, and vans it is different. but cars is 70%. i know several people how have like 35s and 50s and so far have been okay. i was thinking maybe 50ish. any pics of that? also all the cars look great. Thanks!
Old 07-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

or idk that 35% is looking awesome too!
Old 07-05-2009, 08:36 PM   #8
Elder

NYS law is the same, must be 70% light traveling through the front windows.

i have never been bothered with 35 tho.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:45 PM   #9
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
haha, 70% is nothing. I think that is for the front windows only, otherwise basically all of the cars sold from the dealer with privacy glass would be illegal.
it's for all windows here in PA. obviously except for the front windshield, in which you can't any. and in regards to privacy glass - PA law makes an exception for tint levels for "A vehicle which is equipped with tinted windows of the type and specification that were installed by the manufacturer of the vehicle or to any hearse, ambulance, government vehicle or any other vehicle for which a currently valid certificate of exemption has been issued in accordance with regulations adopted by the department."

So the manufacturer installs 50% tint on all the back windows, and you get pulled over, you're alright, as long as you can prove that it came from the factory like that. For whatever reason its not ok to have it aftermarket.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:49 PM   #10
Elder

PA has some strange laws and regulations. You should easily be able to get away with 50%, the difference between 50 and 70 is very little since they are both light anyways.

Only one way to find out: run the tints

|
|
Old 07-05-2009, 11:43 PM   #11

down here in AZ, cars come with at LEAST 35% tint. When i moved here i thought i was the only one without it haha. Tints are a must with the sun as strong as it is though.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:11 AM   #12
Avid TSL User

yeah i dont see how the tinting does any harm to anyone.... i think i want about 35% - 40%. based on what i have gathered. and in my opinion tinting on the black car will look rather great.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #13
Avid TSL User

Send a message via MSN to d_hughes__09
This was supposed to be 35%, I just got pulled over and ticketed for it yesterday and the glass scanner read 25%. $127 ticket.

'92 N/A C900S - Stage winter
Old 07-06-2009, 12:52 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Powar
15%:

Last edited by Powar; 07-06-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:52 PM   #15
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_hughes__09 View Post
This was supposed to be 35%, I just got pulled over and ticketed for it yesterday and the glass scanner read 25%. $127 ticket.

was it cloudy out? apparently when its a bit darker or cloudier it makes the tint seem even darker then it is.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #16
Avid TSL User

powar, that car looks great! one question tho.... does one side of your car have different rims then the other, or were the pictures from different times?
Old 07-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Powar
Quote:
powar, that car looks great! one question tho.... does one side of your car have different rims then the other, or were the pictures from different times?
Those pictures were from different times. I removed the 9-5 Aero wheels and sold them just before selling the car to my aunt. She has been driving it everyday for the past couple of years and still loves it.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:03 PM   #18
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powar View Post
Those pictures were from different times. I removed the 9-5 Aero wheels and sold them just before selling the car to my aunt. She has been driving it everyday for the past couple of years and still loves it.
ohh okay, just making sure. didnt know if that was a new style or something haha but thats good your aunt now has a great car! glad she enjoys it.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #19
Avid TSL User

Send a message via MSN to d_hughes__09
Quote:
was it cloudy out? apparently when its a bit darker or cloudier it makes the tint seem even darker then it is.
Yup, it was cloudy and right at dusk. My window was pretty dirty from driving down some dirt roads earlier that day too. I don't think I'm going to take it off though.
'92 N/A C900S - Stage winter
Old 07-06-2009, 01:08 PM   #20
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_hughes__09 View Post
Yup, it was cloudy and right at dusk. My window was pretty dirty from driving down some dirt roads earlier that day too. I don't think I'm going to take it off though.
nice it looks great. how long did you go before getting the ticket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in