New Wheelies (w/pics) - Page 2 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Customizing Your NG900 or old 9-3

Customizing Your NG900 or old 9-3 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2008, 10:42 PM   #21
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
its a prancing elk. elkparts.com

alot of volvo tuners have them too
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2008, 10:49 PM   #22
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggenkid View Post

ha nice, i like it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'01 9-3 Vert Stg 2/e85

Quote:
dont make me photoshop a dick in your mouth
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-31-2008, 07:58 AM   #23
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 9000Andrew
I vote for the original 15's. I know the others are 16" but who really cares. The original rims match the car very well and make it look less cluttered.

I also think a darker stripe, as other have suggested, would match better. That and a rear spoiler (cheap on eBay) and your car will look even better. Nice work!

Old 12-31-2008, 08:10 AM   #24
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to someguy
I like the originals, they fit the car better. The 16s are too busy.

What part of Missouri are you in?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1999 M3 Cabrio
Old 12-31-2008, 08:16 AM   #25

Send a message via AIM to someguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by viggenkid View Post

Checked that site and wasn't able to find them, possibly due to severe mental discrepancies.

This guy has the prancing moose stickers for those interested: http://www.davebarton.com/VolvoPrancingMoose.html

1999 M3 Cabrio
Old 12-31-2008, 10:21 AM   #26
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
Checked that site and wasn't able to find them, possibly due to severe mental discrepancies.

This guy has the prancing moose stickers for those interested: http://www.davebarton.com/VolvoPrancingMoose.html
yeah thats where i found them too. cool stuff.

'01 9-3 Vert Stg 2/e85

Quote:
dont make me photoshop a dick in your mouth
Old 01-01-2009, 04:56 AM   #27

To whomever was asking - i live in st.joseph MO, about 40 mins north of Kansas City.

Yeah, I think Im going to put the 15s back on - they match the car better. I actually like the feel of the car better with the smaller wheels..

I have a 9-3 spoiler to put on, I just gotta get off my ass and do it. I'd love to have a viggen spoiler - but hell - who wants to try and track that shit down. I gave up on that crap a year ago. Finding sideskirts?? Too much trouble.. Its just a car.

thanks for the criticism guys/gals.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:42 AM   #28
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Describe the change you noticed between the 15" wheels and the 16" wheels. You said you liked the car better with the 15s....

Last edited by aireeca; 07-05-2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Ask more specific questions, get more specific answers.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:52 AM   #29

the difference was sorta weird - the 16's definitely had a lot more road noise. But handling wise, I swear there is more body roll with the bigger tires. And cornering, the car felt chubbier. really, it did. I had to turn harder, and take corners slower than I usually do (have a backwoods racetrack in the area, haha.). I dunno, there wasnt a HUGE difference, but it was noticeable. I think if you're getting bigger tires, they need to be low profile to avoid the chubby feeling. It felt like I was driving a tiny li'l truck or somethin.. a Chevy Luv if you will.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:35 AM   #30
JK
Elder

Its really an impossible comparison to make based on the size. Are the other tires specs the same between the two? Same psi, same brand, same load rating, treadwear, sidewall stiffness, etc?

Two different tires in the same exact size can feel so incredibly different its almost silly. I'd bet the change in the feel of the car has more to do with the model of tire or how you have them aired up than it has to do with the size. Although having a 9-3SS sized tire on there isn't going to do you a ton of favors either since the sizewall size is a bit tall.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:34 AM   #31

i always put 30 psi in every tire on both my cars. was during spring and part of summer, if you're trying to gauge a temperature. they are different tires - the 15's are Kumho Ecstas, brand new at the time of wheel change. The 16's are Pirellis like i mentioned in the thread. They were at 95% tread. guy put less than 300 miles on them before I bought them. I dunno about sidewall stiffness, etc.. im not a tire expert - but I can tell a big difference in the handling either way. I dont think its necessarily an impossible comparison.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:17 AM   #32
JK
Elder

The brand only means so much, its not that simple. Both Pirelli and Kumho have ANY different models of tires. I know you mentioned the brand, and in the case of the Kumho the line (still not the model).

And you're missing my point, I really don't care to know those specs...and my questions were more rhetorical than anything. I am just pointing out that the difference you are feeling is due more to the difference in the tires overall, not just the size. Apples for apples a wider tire with a shorter sidewall is going to keep grip through a turn better and offer better feel due to the shorter (and typically stiffer - but that is not ALWAYS the case) sidewall.

I've run probably 4-5 different 205/50R16 setups between two of my 9000s, and with unchanging tire size even passengers in the car could tell when the setup changed from one set to another. Going from something like a Pirelli P4000 (crap) or Goodyear Eagle RSA (more crap) to a Kumho Echsta 712 (cheap performance), or Nokian NRV (expensive performance) seemed to produce a totally different set of handling dynamics. The set all seasons felt like squishy big balloons that offered very helpful feedback and very lackluster grip, not confidence inspiring at all. Going to the better (albeit cheaper in one case) sets in the same size gave more feel through the wheel, held better in the corners by far and had a sidewall stiff enough that even my wife could tell the difference without knowing I had put different tires on there.

My only point, to go out saying that the larger wheels are contributing to worse handling or worse road feel than the smaller wheels is really not an accurate take on what's going on here.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:14 AM   #33

hmmm.. im sure you're probably right. I dont think its 100% percent tires, but it doesnt matter - the car felt and drove differently, thats all I was getting at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in