Rear Wiper delete - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Customizing Your NG900 or old 9-3

Customizing Your NG900 or old 9-3 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Rear Wiper delete

Anyone done this on their coupes ? I hate it, kills the whole side profile of the car and adds definate drag. I am going to 86 it and find some sort of plug. Maybe a wine cork : ) LOL
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
It's extremely easy to remove. Won't take long at all. Sealing up that hole left afterwards will be the biggest part of the job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-12-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

maybe see if the plugs for the rear window on the 9-2 is the same size?

Old 11-12-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

Good call I'll check with the dealer to see if there is a part. If so I'll post it
Old 11-12-2008, 08:39 PM   #5
TSLMember

I removed mine last week. I left the original grommet in and plugged the 1/2 inch hole with a smaller plug that i found at homedepot. Kind of a quick fix, but no leaks so far. Ive had problems finding large grommets locally, maybe check around online.

I have driven in the rain a few times and have never had any visibility problems without the wiper. Rain seems to bead off nicely.

Mark M.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:21 AM   #6
Avid TSL User

Thanks Mark. Did you need a puller to get it off the shaft ? I've done this on other cars and they get sort of rust welded together
Old 11-13-2008, 06:25 AM   #7
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
There is no factory plug since there was a different tailgate for cars without.

No puller needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 11-13-2008, 07:08 PM   #8
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyt View Post
Thanks Mark. Did you need a puller to get it off the shaft ? I've done this on other cars and they get sort of rust welded together
The wiper arm can just be wiggled off. I've taken mine off several times without a problem.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PoisonBeef
I take it you dont live in snow climates. I would have died last year without a rear wiper.

Snow just doesn't bead like rain.

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD
99 5-door 9-3SE - td04, 3" dp, t5 suite - Sold

2001 Audi a6 2.7 twin turbo
1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 11-13-2008, 08:35 PM   #10
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markm99 View Post
I removed mine last week. I left the original grommet in and plugged the 1/2 inch hole with a smaller plug that i found at homedepot. Kind of a quick fix, but no leaks so far. Ive had problems finding large grommets locally, maybe check around online.

I have driven in the rain a few times and have never had any visibility problems without the wiper. Rain seems to bead off nicely.

Mark M.
Depending on the size of the grommets, we make some at work for some of our lightbars. Next time we make some, I'll take some scrap ones home and see if they fit.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:37 PM   #11
User
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
There is no factory plug since there was a different tailgate for cars without.

No puller needed.
I think in some cases a puller would be needed. I have come across this problem with headlight wipers (every single set), and windshield wipers.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:39 PM   #12
User
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonBeef View Post
I take it you dont live in snow climates. I would have died last year without a rear wiper.

Snow just doesn't bead like rain.
rear defrosters and side view mirrors are your best friends. Come to think of it, I NEVER use my rear view, just my sideviews. Drive a c900 for a while, you'll get used to it.

I will admit, the rear wipers do come in handy in the snow, but it's not really that big of a deal for some people. I don't need them by any means, it's just a handy thing to have.

I might do this wiper delete to my viggen, and it's only a summer car so it doesnt matter to me

Old 11-13-2008, 09:14 PM   #13
TSLMember

I take it you dont drive with your side mirrors much. Ever driven a van or large truck? Semi drivers do OK without a rear view.

I see your point with snow, but I have never found myself personally depending upon my rear wiper beyond the use off my rear defroster.

I removed my wiper unit along with the front light wipers for weight reduction.
-including my rear seats, rear interior, trunk linings, spare and jack, speakers, AC system, Redirected heater hoses, glove box, lightened bumper beams, relocated battery to rear, cruise control, etc...

shaving weight were ever I can and changing weight distribution
Ive lost over 400lbs so far. Throttle, braking, handling response has changed drastically. The car does now sit at stock height on konis. Special springs are my next project. I want to get the car on scales soon.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:56 AM   #14
Avid TSL User

I do live with snow but I drive my truck when it's crappy out. The Saab is so stiff now with the Konis, Eibachs, and poly bushings that even with snow tires I fear sliding. I figure some Rain X on the back windshield would be enough for me. I am used to driving with just the side mirrors and limited rear view window sight.

As far as weight reduction Markm99 I would throw back in the spare tire for the reason of balance. We have this issue with the Porsches except it's backwards. We leave the heavy crap up front and lighten the rear. It's becomes very evident when you get the car on scales to corner weight and balance. I see other racers with lead bricks bolted to their passenger side floors to balance the cars if they can't tune it out with coilovers. Just my 2 cents : ) I'd love to see some pics of your car gutted out !
Old 11-17-2008, 07:14 AM   #15
Avid TSL User

Wiper gone. Easy took 2 minutes. I have some ideas on a plug. Parts are from a Porsche 944. I wil post up this solution when I am sure the Porsche wiper plug will fit the Saab. I still need to remove the wiper motor and assembly.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:24 AM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PoisonBeef
I grew up and currently work on a dairy farm. I drive many large trucks, vans, tractors, dump trucks and the like that have zero line of sight to the back. I love when I get in my car and can see behind with ease. Why would I give it up if I didnt have too?

If it wasn't my daily driver, I would consider it.

How much does that wiper weigh anyway?

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD
99 5-door 9-3SE - td04, 3" dp, t5 suite - Sold

2001 Audi a6 2.7 twin turbo
1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 11-17-2008, 07:52 AM   #17
Avid TSL User

Just for looks for me. Plus it's not a daily. I drive my truck most of the time.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:20 AM   #18
Flirting With TSL Addiction

any chance the plug they sell with the Viggen Antannae kit will fit? It plugs about the same size hole..
Old 11-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #19
Avid TSL User

nope it's round not oval shaped like the antenna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in