Viggen Seats Installed + Wiring Info - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Customizing Your NG900 or old 9-3

Customizing Your NG900 or old 9-3 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2008, 10:39 PM   #1
ERP
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to ERP
Viggen Seats Installed + Wiring Info

Finally got my Viggen seats installed in my NG900. I could not find any wiring information and had to figure it out and guess on my own. A little scary when there is an airbag inside the seat, but it all went well and the seats are in and working. I kept track of the wiring to help anyone else installing Viggen seats in an older Saab.

The seats sit higher than the stock seats. Some of this is from a ˝” spacer I had to add, but they are still higher than that. The power buttons are also really close to the doors when shut. Makes is a little difficult to use them, but not too bad.

Here is a picture of the driver’s seat Viggen Plug

First, I highly recommend getting the body side of the plugs. The connection is very different from the stock NG900 plugs and would take a lot of splicing to get working. Using the original Viggen plug connection with a rat tail of wires is much easier.

The driver's seat plug harness is color coded to match the wires. The plug is gray, and the light gray crosses are empty connectors, the black connectors are grounds. 13 wires in total.

Seat Memory Box and Motor Wires
Red/Blue (12v signal)
Green: ? I did not connect it
White: ? I did not connect it
Large Red: 12v power – always on
Large Black: Ground

Seat Heater Wires
Red/Green: 12v signal
Medium Large Black: Ground
Green/White: ? I did not connect it

Air Bag (Yellow Box): Wires surrounded by a plastic yellow sheath, do not touch!
Brown
Blue

The green/brown and a black go to a plug under the seat but are not connected to anything.

Stock NG900 Driver’s Seat Wiring
#1 Black: 2.7v (Not a Ground)
#2 Yellow/White: Seat Heater 12v
#3 Brown/Black: ?
#4 Green: 12v power signal to Passenger Seat
#5 Black: Ground
#6 Red/Blue: 12v Always On
#7 Blue/Yellow: 0.7v, No idea what it is for
#8 Black: Ground

And the Passenger Seat Plug

Seat Motor/Relay Wires
Red: 12v always on
Large Black: Ground
Green/Yellow: Signal - Relay Ground

Seat Heater
Green/Red: 12v Signal
Medium Large Black: Ground

Air Bag (Yellow Box): Wires surrounded by a plastic yellow sheath, do not touch!
Brown
Blue

The remaining wires are not connected to anything under the seat.

Stock NG900 Passenger Seat Wiring
Red/Blue: 12v Always On
Black: Ground
Green: 12v With Drivers Seat Plug Attached and Key On
Yellow/Green: 12v Seat Heater
Blue/Yellow: 0.63v, 1v with Key On (I cut this wire and it had no effect on the seat motors)

Mounting

I used an 1/8” steel plate to mount the Viggen seats. The Viggen rails are ~ 2” wider than the stock rails. The motors on the Viggen seat also hang down lower than the stock seats. I used a ˝” spacer to raise the Viggen seats off of the steel plate to keep the motors from scraping. I also had to trim off a small tab from the inside stock rail that was contacting the Viggen seat rail. It is obvious when you see it.

Overall it was pretty easy, just time consuming to figure out the wires. The only thing I am worried about is that I wired the seats so that the relays are always on. This will be a small power drain on the battery holding the relays on and can potentially drain the battery over a long time if left to sit. But I would estimate this at a few weeks at least.

Enough writing, time to enjoy the seats.
1996 900 'Aero' 2.3t Sold -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2008, 10:40 PM   #2
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Very nice.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Very nice.
x2
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 03-27-2008, 10:46 PM   #4
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
Excellent write-up! Wish more people would take the time and effort to make a write-up as good as this!

Also, the seats look great

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:55 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PoisonBeef
Nice write up and cool project.

Why dont the seats match up, would they be more bolt in like on a OG93 because its the same year? Do NG900 and OG93's match then? hmm...

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD
99 5-door 9-3SE - td04, 3" dp, t5 suite - Sold

2001 Audi a6 2.7 twin turbo
1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 03-27-2008, 10:57 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Just one of those subtle differences.

Now if you wanted to put viggen seats into a S/SE og9-3 then it would drop right in no problems I would assume.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:43 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Good write up!

Old 03-28-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I didn't know the wiring was different in a ng900. Funny, I almost managed to get Viggen seats just recently - I would have ripped the old seats out and then gotten stuck, but now I have a reference. Awesome write up!
Old 07-20-2008, 12:55 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
Awesome write-up, thanks.

So a 99 9-3 would have the same connector to accept the Viggen seats? What is if doesn't have power or heated seats?
Old 07-20-2008, 01:26 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Carl Send a message via Skype™ to Carl
All 9-3s use the same connector regardless of equipment. You will have to make wiring to enable the heaters and motors. I can be of assistance in this endeavor. Saab sells the terminals for the car side of the connector and you'd need switches out of an aptly equipped variant.

M00 9-3 Conv. B234 makes up for Sun Green
M73 99L In Maine

Last edited by Carl; 07-20-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #11
Elder

Okay, so the same connector (at least it will plug into something) but the wiring for power seats won't be there? I'm not too concerned with the heaters, so I won't worry about that for now.

Is there an "old fashioned way" to wire the motors if you don't have power seats originally? It seems pretty simple, but how do you directly wire to distinguish between the "signal" and constant power wires?
Old 03-18-2009, 08:11 AM   #12
Elder

Long overdue update, but I figured I'd post up that I manged to get these seats wired. Well, Carl managed to get these seats wired....

But if you are attempting to do this, I think I could help answer questions you might have. Just let me know!

-Seth
Old 05-20-2009, 07:18 AM   #13
Avid TSL User

You know what would look real nice is a 99-02 9.3 sport wheel, all you need is the wheel the bag and the upper steering column its pretty easy to change I can set you up with them let me know
Old 03-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #14

Looks awesome. I tried to do a seat swap myself in my NG, didn't work out too well to say the least.

Are you by any chance selling your old seats?
Old 04-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Awesome.

I just got itsaviggn's seats and whomever mucked up the car and engine, definately mucked the seats up too. I had to swap the harness from one seat and the harness and tracks from the other. But the motors aren't aligning yet and the wires are still a mess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 10-04-2010, 07:04 AM   #16
SAABeginner

Electric seats

My son has a 1999 9-3 S convertible that was left outside with the top down, of course it was like a magnet for any rain in the area, and the rain ruined the seats. I found a set of seats from a 2002 SE convertible - so had to convert the manual seats to electric. The multipin connector seems wired just as Eric described for the Viggen - I have both connectors (seat and body). I spliced power from the cigarette lighter and everything worked fine..... except when I started the motor I get a dash light warning for the airbag system (presumably the system can tell that the blue and brown wires for the air bags terminate in the donor connector). So I examined the original connector (still attached to the car) and noticed as Carl points our the necessary wires are all present, but not connected (at least to the fuse panel). So I spliced power to the old connectors and the seats work fine - but I still get an air bag light even though the new seats have blue and brown air bag wires that match up with those in the original connector. That will likely interfere with the safety inspection process.

Does that mean the signal from the air bag wires is different in the 2002 SE than in the 1999 S? Can I do anything else? I can always pull the bulbs from the instrument panel, but that looks like a big job. Suggestions?

Pic attached.

Larry Mc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saab front seats.jpg (52.1 KB, 82 views)
Old 10-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #17

Larry, Did you unplug the battery before wiring the airbags? because if you mess with them while plugged in then you have to have the srs light turned off via tech 2

Last edited by SevierSaabOG93; 10-04-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:30 PM   #18
SAABeginner

Thanks, did not always have the battery unplugged since I needed to test the seat before I bolted it in place..... I guess a Saab garage can reset it?

Larry
Old 10-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
Connectors for the 99 and 02 will be the same. Big difference should be from the 900 to the 9-3.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:46 PM   #20
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I get the airbag light too, but this was going from 99 9-3se to 99 viggen. I think the problem is actually in the seat belt buckle. My SRS light was also on after the swap but did eventually go out on it's own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in