crazy custom front bumper idea - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Customizing Your NG900 or old 9-3

Customizing Your NG900 or old 9-3 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2007, 11:57 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

crazy custom front bumper idea

well i was sitting here looking at some pictures of my car with the front catalog kit on and without it stock, and i love the catalog kit but it doesnt have a big opening for the fmic, and the stock bumper isnt exactly aggressive looking. so i started thinking... long explanation short, i want a subtle yet aggressive look with a nice opening for the fmic and something different. the first thing to pop in my head is well, im sure i will get hated on for this but it just popped in my head and will use it for example. i would find a junkyard 9-3 bumper and at the bumper support beam cut the botttom off so its just the top then do the same to a bumper to use for the bottom half, and what popped in my head was a 99-00 civic si bumper, and mold these together so the bottom is the lip part from that and top mounts right up. then, since our fmic sits a little behind the bumper bar, i would make mounts for it to sit like 2 inches lower to to be somewhat centered in the big front opening of the bumper.
--reason behind the si bumper was well its subtle yet has big front opening and 2 small nice holes for fogs, and according to edmunds 9-3 is 67.4 inches wide, si is 61.1 so its pretty close. this might be a crazy idea but its just a winter project for the hell of it to see what comes of it. any other ideas or good bumpers of same width and what i want? and if someone is good with photoshop would you like to photoshop it.
-- yes i know sounds like i want a viggen bumper but like i said i want to do something different, and this is just a crazy idea brewed up from boredom.

Last edited by sleet; 09-25-2007 at 12:03 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2007, 12:02 PM   #2
Elder

Viggen?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-25-2007, 12:04 PM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to moose
i would rather take the time to custom mold the 9-3 and 9-5 bumpers like some, forget who, did.

Stg. no go
My transmission boggles minds!!!

Old 09-25-2007, 12:07 PM   #4

that would end up costing to much to get both the 9-3 and the newer 9-5 bumper. tryin to keep it a cheap project, so expensive bumpers are out of the question.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:41 PM   #5
Elder

PM Topher.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lendo View Post
PM Topher.
has he done something like this before? explain a bit
Old 09-25-2007, 02:52 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to moose
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleet View Post
has he done something like this before? explain a bit
there is a thread about him making or fixing one for lendo, it was a viggen bumper.

custom 9-3/9-5 bumper

Stg. no go
My transmission boggles minds!!!
Old 09-25-2007, 03:22 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

^^^^^^^^^^
me want

droooool

Old 09-25-2007, 03:29 PM   #9
TSLMember

looks good! I like the fenders but the color has to go!
Old 09-25-2007, 03:32 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to CooperS7777
Dropping the stock IC 2" isnt a huge issue, but if you lower the car and have an aftermarket FMIC you wont be able to drop it 2" without it hitting on every speed bump, pot hole and steep incline/decline you come across.

SQR Performance, Saab Repair & Service

Quote:
Fuck the afterlife, its Miller time.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:44 PM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
I have the catalog kit on and the ETS IC and it takes up the whole center opening. I agree it would be nicer to have it bigger, but you would have to enlarge it upwards, theres more IC up higher too.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks900SE View Post
I have the catalog kit on and the ETS IC and it takes up the whole center opening. I agree it would be nicer to have it bigger, but you would have to enlarge it upwards, theres more IC up higher too.
thats why i mentioned lowering the intercooler 1-2 inches and then having some sort of bigger opening. i dont see a huge problem with the speed bumps and inclines hitting the intercooler if i lower it just 2 or so inches because right now with the stock bumper on, the intercooler sits little higher than the bottom of that bumper then with the catalog bumper thats even lower so i dont see that a big problem. my biggest thing is what other bumper do i wanna mate with the top part of the 9-3 bumper. then its off to finding the bumpers adn then a lot of time and work on it.
and the car is lowered on koni kit and yes i have aftermarket fmic. car is stage 5.

Last edited by sleet; 09-25-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:12 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to CooperS7777
Stock IC it would be fine, but you have to keep in mind an aftermarket IC is going to be alot bigger - mine is close to twice as tall as the stock IC.

SQR Performance, Saab Repair & Service

Quote:
Fuck the afterlife, its Miller time.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:38 AM   #14
TSLMember

wow, that custom 9-3/9-5 bumper looks sick

sleet, i know what you're saying about the civic si bumper. one of my friends has one and i always thought how sweet a fmic would be with that bumper.

he doesnt really need it...
Old 09-26-2007, 10:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabotage89 View Post
wow, that custom 9-3/9-5 bumper looks sick

sleet, i know what you're saying about the civic si bumper. one of my friends has one and i always thought how sweet a fmic would be with that bumper.

he doesnt really need it...
yeah a guy i know somewhat and see around has a si with turbo set up and the fmic fits great in the opening. thats why it was first bumper to pop in my head cause i saw him earlier that day before i posted. any good photoshoppers out there wanna do this for me to see what it would look like to mate these bumpers together on my car? i can supply a front picture if someone would do it
Old 09-26-2007, 01:49 PM   #16

just for reference i believe this is the bumper in question....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sifront.jpg (63.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 09-26-2007, 01:54 PM   #17

or is it this one ?????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7006.jpg (56.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 09-26-2007, 03:33 PM   #18
TSLMember

im pretty sure the stock civic si front bumper is the 2nd one pictured
Old 09-26-2007, 03:38 PM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
The 1st is the stock bumper + a skin lip on it.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:10 PM   #20

It seems like to me if you are only looking for better FMIC performance it would be easier to ensure that your IC had a positive pressure area in front (which is like default) and a strong negative pressure in the back. I'd accomplish this by ducting the back, the air rushing across the bottom of the car at high speed will create low pressure and will pull air in through the intercooler batter.

If its just for looks, well, yeah, you know.

Tboy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in