Cool add on for your AUX mod. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Customizing Your NG900 or old 9-3

Customizing Your NG900 or old 9-3 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
Elder

Lightbulb Cool add on for your AUX mod.

So about a week ago my brother and I added the aux to his car. Though he was not so pleased with the fact that he would have to push in the tape door for the radio to switch into the mode that would allow our own input to play. So as smart as I was I though it would be cool to put in a switch instead of the stupid momentary switch above the tape door.

So the day after I went to the junk yard and bought a seat heater switch for 5 bucks, with its wiring harness of course. Though the problem was that the switch was not momentary, it was a push button. So I opened up the switch and took out the spring that held it back. After the fact I realized I could have gotten the rear fog light switch as that is momentary, but it would have made placement worse.

Any ways...I found what pins on the switch were NC and then NO when pushed in by use of a ohm meter. So we opened the radio back up and I soldered longer leads in for the switch. We then ran the wires up above the instrument cluster and up to the upside down heater switch that fits nicely next to the rheostat. Looks real sleek.

Ohh but there more. I found out from an old switch that I had lying around that theres a white back that lets the light through to lite up the switch face. So my idea is to scratch off all the black on the face of the switch and mask off a icon of an iPod and re spray it so an iPod picture will show up on the face and let light though when the back lights are on.

I will get some pictures when we put in real wire taps instead of the melting electrical tape. I thought the idea was pretty cool and hope you guys think so as well.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2007, 05:21 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Nice.

If you can find a V6, the traction contoll switch is also momentary which also goes in the center console (for anybody else looking)

Tboy
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-21-2007, 05:27 PM   #3
Elder

Yeah well when I was there I just popped out the first switch I saw, then I later realized what if I got that switch or that. But in the end it worked out well.

In fact the car I took it out of was a V6, probably a bad timing belt, but the TCS switch was gone.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboy View Post
Nice.

If you can find a V6, the traction contoll switch is also momentary which also goes in the center console (for anybody else looking)

Tboy
Do you have a pic of that switch Tboy?
Old 06-21-2007, 05:28 PM   #5

hold on, let me go get one, JUST for you.
Tboy
Old 06-21-2007, 05:36 PM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

When I did it this mod, I built the switch directly on the face of the head unit. Completely unnoticeable and totally stock looking..

here's my pics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:38 PM   #7
Elder

Yeah things like that are always other options, but my brother wanted to keep things looking stock. And now only he can turn on the AUX input.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:54 PM   #8

Excuse the mess, its in the process of changing color from tan to black.

Tboy
Old 06-21-2007, 06:00 PM   #9
Elder

I like the change in the shift knob.

But there still an open spot next to the TCS switch for another switch. The ideas and places for this kinda stuff is almost endless.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:35 AM   #10
dip
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via Skype™ to dip
Tboy, did you reverse your seat heater switches on purpose? Normally, the switch shaped as [) goes into the hole on the left (it has a green connector), while the switch shaped as (] goes into the right switch cluster next to the ACC vent (and it has a yellow connector).
Old 06-22-2007, 08:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dip View Post
Tboy, did you reverse your seat heater switches on purpose? Normally, the switch shaped as [) goes into the hole on the left (it has a green connector), while the switch shaped as (] goes into the right switch cluster next to the ACC vent (and it has a yellow connector).
I did indeed. I just think it looks better this way. I haven't cut the wires and re-done that part yet, but I use the heated seats so infrequently, or during the winter they are always on. so I just push the button that is now on the right!

The shift knob/boot is from a 9-5 aero, and yes, it is much nicer than the rubber ball!
The ash tray has been missing since I bought the car. but I have a small plan for that area.
Tboy
Old 06-22-2007, 11:02 AM   #12
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
I reversed my switch locations also. But I believe that I switched the actual plugs too. You can mix and match. They will plug into the opposite color.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:11 AM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to laxian55
i switched mine as well, bc i have my liquid-air IC pump switch on the far left now.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:21 PM   #14
Elder

Yup, but like I said there are also 2 extra free blank holes on the left of the steering wheel. One under the fogs and the one to the left of the rheostat, where we put our switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in