Big problem with wheels - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Customizing Your New 9-3

Customizing Your New 9-3 This forum contains all CUSTOMIZING related Q&A's, such as Lights (taillights, headlights, turn indicators, clear corners, etc), Interior and Exterior modifications, Wiring, Gauges and more.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2006, 08:07 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Big problem with wheels

I need help!

I purchased a set of Dip 65 wheels for my 04 9-3ss. The retailer stated they would fit and of course they did at the time. This was back in November and I've been driving on them since. We have put about 12k on these wheels and tires.

I brought the car in to the Swedish Garage in Charlotte (great guys by the way) for a brake job. The OEM brake pads are so thick when new that they push the calipers out to where they hit the wheel. We tried an 1/8" spacer but still not even close to fitting.

I'm afraid to go with to thick a spacer and do not wish to have the wheels sticking way out from the fenders!

We have discussed having the inside of the wheel machined down but this makes very nervous.

The wheel and tire shop has been advised of the problem. As of right now we really do not know how much help we will get from them.

Obviously I could sell the wheels and tires but that is my last resort. Any input would greatly appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2006, 12:02 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

There's something wrong here..., calipers are stationary, solidly constructed components and do not expand to accomodate new brake pads, which fit inside of the caliper's frame.
The guys at the garage in Charlotte are feeding you a line of bull or simply don't know what they're doing..., as such, I strongly urge you to remove you car from their premises immediately and seek out another garage for the brake work.

p.s. You may want to have a look at your odometer for some extra mileage that was'nt there when you brought it in.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-09-2006, 12:15 PM   #3
Trollerator
Elder

get proper sized wheels. what do they look like anyways? curious. there are way more wheels for 9-3 ss than og 9-3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan

Old 06-09-2006, 12:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456
get proper sized wheels. what do they look like anyways? curious. there are way more wheels for 9-3 ss than og 9-3
Uh..., he's said that he had the wheels put on "back in November" and has now "put about 12k on" them since. This tells me that the "proper sized wheels" is not the issue.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:26 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
yeah listen to infamous...
the onthing that moves in the caliper is the piston...
even with new pads its should fit how it did....
Old 06-09-2006, 12:45 PM   #6
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
The calipers float, that is how the outer pad gets clamping pressure. Just like a "c" clamp. Image courtesy google..

The rotor stays stationary, this is why they are called floating calipers. New (thicker) pads will push the outer side of the caliper closer to the wheel. Only a couple solutions. Must have been pretty close before.

Spacers maybe 5mm would work. But you would have to check the length of the wheel bolts before doing that to make sure they are long enough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 06-09-2006, 12:50 PM   #7
Trollerator
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous
Uh..., he's said that he had the wheels put on "back in November" and has now "put about 12k on" them since. This tells me that the "proper sized wheels" is not the issue.
well it sounded like they were not clearing the brakes maybe I misunderstood

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 06-09-2006, 12:54 PM   #8
JK
Elder

Indeed calipers do float as Nick T noted, otherwise how would the outer brake pad be of use? All normal single piston calipers do this, which is why they have a sliding caliper carrier bracket which is the only stationary part. 4 piston calipers are stationary as they have 2 pistons on each side of the brake rotor.

I would advise getting new wheels or bigger spacers w/long wheel bolts if you can't find a different wheel that suits your taste.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:17 PM   #9

Hmm, perhaps it is that I'm not understanding how factory pads could move a caliper any further than what it could move either prior to the owner putting some 12k on the pads, or what they have the room or have been designed to move, and that is where I'm getting lost.

Irregardless, I would'nt use longer bolts or spacers, instead, I would grind the appropriate area of the outter caliper frame down to prevent the rubbing of the rim. It has to be pretty minimal, so taking a little off of the top should'nt be an issue and would prevent the purchase of additional hardware just to change the brakes.

Last edited by infamous; 06-09-2006 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:55 PM   #10

The thicker factory pads pushed out the outer portion of the caliper too far, so when he was using the old pads he had enough clearance to fit the wheels.

The spacers Nick suggested will work just fine, just make sure to get a new set of slightly longer lug bolts.

You'll have lots of room with the SS wheel wells...
Old 06-12-2006, 02:33 PM   #11
SAABeginner

It seems spacers and longer lug bolts appears to be my best choice. Grinding down the calipers is not an option due to how much would have to be taken off. Anybody recommend a link to source for the spacers and lugs? Thanks for everybodies input.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:47 PM   #12

Well, another option to grinding down the caliper housing (I mean, just how much would it have to be..., you normally have to change the pads out every 6-12K miles anyway and you've/he's said that you/he put some "12K" on the car/pads after the rims were fitted, so just how much could it actually be?!?) is the somewhat extremist sounding, grinding down the pad(s) themselves.

The shop could do this by holding the pad flush against the flat side of the grinding wheel (all shops have a grinder), or using an air sander with some fairly fine grit paper on it, and taking a little off of the top..., or..., you could merely circumvent the whole headache and go with the original OEM pads, instead of the newer/thicker ones, and then be good to go as they are what worked for you before.

Last edited by infamous; 06-21-2006 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:26 PM   #13
SAABeginner

Can anyone advise what the widths are on the original OEM brake pads and the newer fatter pads? I'm trying to get an idea of how much difference there is. The spacer and longer bolts are not a cheap fix as most places want $200.00+ for a pair.
I'm selling the car so I do not want to invest much at this point. The car will sell quicker with the custom wheels on if I can make it right. On another note it will be difficult to sell the custom wheels seperately due to the odd 5x110 spacing.
I'm considering grinding down the pads to make the wheels fit or trying to locate the original OEM pads.
Anybody know were you can get the old pads?
Old 07-13-2006, 01:10 PM   #14

Cannot think of the widths off of the top of my head, though it occurs to me that you should be able to pick up the pads from any of the usual sources, e.g., GenuineSaab, SaabStory, SaabSite, eEuroparts, etc., etc...., someone's likely still has them in stock, so locating them should'nt be too much of an issue for you.
No sense in making this any harder than it has to be, huh?!
Old 07-13-2006, 01:20 PM   #15
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to MistaSantos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHK-921
I'm selling the car so I do not want to invest much at this point. The car will sell quicker with the custom wheels on if I can make it right. On another note it will be difficult to sell the custom wheels seperately due to the odd 5x110 spacing.
SELLING THE CAR?!?!?!?! Why would you do that???? That looks awsome!
Old 07-16-2006, 01:41 PM   #16
TSLMember

what size wheels? tires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in